Keyboard stops working

Hi, since I have a single stick (T.16000M), I'm using a lot modifiers keyboard keys (LCtrl, LAlt, Altgr, RShift ...) for the A10c and for the A10c II in order to perform all the Hotas commands, but all of the sudden my keyboard stops working just after few minutes of playing DCS (no matters if single or multi player) and I have to shut down my pc by pressing and holding power button. No problem with other modules.

Do you guys think it's a keyboard related issue? It's a pretty old basic Logitech usb keyboard but it works fine with my (non gaming) laptop!

Here is attached my log.file where there are a lot of Errors I can't understand.

I run Openbeta

Any help please?

Thanks

dcs.log

CPU i7 6700k MB Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 Mhz 32 GB Cooler Noctua NH-D15 Memory Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme 500Gb + Crucial MX500 500GB GPU MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z PSU Corsair TX650 Stick VKB Mcg Ultimate + 200mm extension + Monstertech long mount + Virpil Mongoos T-50CM3 throttle + VBK  MK.IV T-Rudder Head tracker Delanclip Headset Sennheiser PC350

There could be a million reasons.

Have you tried ALT-Tab'ing out of DCS?

For ALT-Tab to work all the time, you may need one other active Task bar item other than DCS. Just a Windows Explorer window or a Notepad window will do.

I'd also try CTRL+ALT+DEL for the lock screen or CTRL+SHIFT+ESC for the task manager, though this combination is captured/intercepted by SRS, so if you run SRS CTRL+SHIFT+ESC won't open the task manager.

You could also try to close DCS with ALT+F4.

There's a weird default key combo in Windows that can change the language; I think it's ALT+SHIFT. It should not deactivate your keyboard, but strange things can happen when some of the keys suddenly send entirely different strokes/letters.

If the problem keeps appearing, you could also try to run DCS in windowed mode and with less resolution than your screen, so you can always just click icons outside of DCS and then see if the keyboard works there.

I'm definitely not an export on reading log files; in yours, I didn't see anything interesting, but maybe someone else will spot something I've missed.

Hi and thank you so much for your replay.

I tried ALT+ TAB, which I very often do when I need to read some text files or Firefox or whatever else, but I always play DCS with at least one other window opened such as Opentrack for head tracking and MSI Afterburner. But unfortunatelly ALT tabbing does not work when my keyboard decides to stop. It looks like whatever key I hit it doesn't work anymore. No joy with ALT+F4 as well.

Other than that, now I have to try Ctrl+Alt+Del or Ctrl+Shift+ Esc or Alt+Shift. Very interesting is your other suggestion about running DCS in windowed mode with less resolution so I could click on the desktop or another opened window and see what happens. I'm gonna try all this useful tips.

I'll keep you update and Thank you again.

EDIT:

So I tried running DCS in windowed mode at 1600x900 (1920x1080 is my native monitor res.), but no success: after a few minutes playing, the keyboard stops working and if I click on my desktop (the visible part of it) and run Notepad I can't write in there. Keyboard seems completly dead, even after shutting down DCS whithin task manager!

No success also with other keys combination above. :-/

Edited by G-con

CPU i7 6700k MB Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 Mhz 32 GB Cooler Noctua NH-D15 Memory Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme 500Gb + Crucial MX500 500GB GPU MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z PSU Corsair TX650 Stick VKB Mcg Ultimate + 200mm extension + Monstertech long mount + Virpil Mongoos T-50CM3 throttle + VBK  MK.IV T-Rudder Head tracker Delanclip Headset Sennheiser PC350

Hi guys and thanks for helping me, but bad news! I replaced my Logitech K200 USB keyboard with a Trust "ClassicLine" keyboard, not a new one btw, and I have had the same issue even though later this time.

So is this problem still related to the keyboard? Dunno.

Attached is the new log.file where I want to point out this line

ERROR COCKPITBASE: Cockpit: Clickable - Wrong connector name PTR-ENVCP-CABIN-AIR-COND-OPER-COLD
Maybe someone understand something

dcs.log

Edited by G-con

Damn, that sounds bad.

The COCKPITBASE error looks unrelated to me, and in any case DCS shouldn't prevent the keyboard from working outside of it.

Can you try another USB connector? If possible directly to the motherboard, or if it's there already, maybe a USB hub instead.

Might also be Windows related, but at this point I'm pretty much out of ideas. :(

Are there any errors in the Windows event logs when this happens?

Have you tried running DCS without your Delanclip head tracking? I am not saying this will be the problem but it would eliminate a potential conflict

I agree with @Yurgon that the error seems to be unrelated

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

@Yurgon, Yes I've tried to connect the keyboard to another connector the rear of my pc directly to the mo/bo, but no success.

@hornblower793, Yes in the Windows event logs there are some errors but I can't tell much more than this. Besides, I've tried to run DCS without the Trackhat software and using just Opentrack AND I did NOT have any issue! Let me test it a few times again just to be sure that this is the right way (I hope).

Thank you guys for your help, much appreciated, I will keep you update just in case the situation will change :D

Bye and thanks again

Edited by G-con