F14 Skinners thread (Paintkit in 1st post)

David A Sell

• 2 weeks later...

After downloading the F-14 template from Heatblurs Google drive (Linked in the 1st post) I can open all the files in Photoshop except for the file "HB_F14_EXT_03". I am getting this error for each layer it tries to open. followed by an invalid file warning. Is this because I have an older version of Photoshop or something else? This wasn't a problem in the past, maybe something changed with the file... Any way to correct this?

Thanks.

unnamed.jpg.bcc6aa731c700e094a46ffd6e220c41d.jpg

Dunno if this has been asked yet, can't find it anyway, but will there be a template for the F-14A released soon?

It's been asked everywhere, but AFAIK no for now. Most B skins can be moved over but you will have to make some tweaks if you know what to look for.

FYI for those who want to skin the A, here are some things to look out for and future proof on:

• In the B model template, remove the two vents above the NAVY stencil, they're supposed to only be on one side and are not present on the A at all.
  • On the A and B: Remove the NACA duct on the right engine nacelle, from the diffuse, roughmet, and the normal. That way whenever it gets fixed you have less work to do.
  • Check your stencils. There are some subtle differences in stenciling between the A and Bs, and even within A model squadrons over the years they got further and further from the original Grumman stenciling. The intakes tend to be different, locations of some of the nose stencils, different BuNO fonts, different location for the fire punch-in panel on the engine nacelles, etc. [i highly recommend Bert Kinzey's two F-14 books in digital format, for Atlantic and Pacific squadrons, via Detail and Scale]
  • For the As especially, look at the leading edges of the vertical stabilizers. @_YaeSakura_ has made some of his own masks that more accurately follow the reinforcements on the leading edges which should taper from the base to the top. Y'all really should go grab his high-vis and prototype skins, he's put a lot of work into them and will probably be re-doing them as the A model comes out and includes the older versions of the jet.

Can't wait for the bullet fairing! Definitely need those for the 80s and various reserve jets from the 90s like the ones I'm trying to do.

Here's a quick link to some screenships of the above:

https://imgur.com/a/NF6LHce

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Nah, there are so many places it gets asked I lose track. I had an excuse to post anyways though as I've been going through making tweaks and corrections to the template to properly fit the A model. Lots of small things will change eventually but for now there's a few things to do to get the skins passable.

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Expect to see them all within the coming month. The HB competition has folks in the Discord hopping on any squadron they can find right now.

Hell at this point I just need to settle down and pick something and finish it. I'm trying to do Bio's VF-211 jet from 1996, all of VF-201 and VF-202, plus a few "fun" schemes that are all on pause.

Whenever he's done and happy with it @_YaeSakura_ 's hi-vis template is going to be an awesome resource for the community. I'm working on some more stencil stuff based on some photos of the last 4 As delivered, who went to VF-201 and VF-202 straight from the Grumman factory. After I get all the stencils done I just need the model corrections to be made, the ALR-67 blisters to be added, and the bullet fairing for the TCS as all 4 appeared to be delivered that way.

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Nothing really to show yet, but I've started working on VF-211 1999-2002, covering two cruises aboard the USS John C. Stennis. As usual it'll be a full pack of 10 aircraft based around their OEF stable. WIP shots when I have them.

@Shmoo42 is super far down the road on that exact timeframe jets from the Millenium cruise, nearly done in fact.

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

I have been summoned lol. Yeah, Im working on one of the cruises, or some combination of the two. The Millenium cruise deployed specifically to the Persian Gulf, while the Nov 2001-May 2002 cruise was focused on the North Arabian Sea. Not sure which exact one to do yet, but the stencils are pretty freaking similar on VF-211. Obligatory WIP screenshot included.

1153399690_VF-211LeftFront.thumb.JPG.0779c9a70070a113ce7379d306f54fbe.JPG

The end goal was to do the whole squadron, but I was going to release 100, 101, and a Generic low vis first, as a part of a pack with the other jets of that cruise. VMFA-314, VFA-146 (the blue cag, not the murica cag lmao), VFA-147, and the supporting E2 and S3s. I have the Hornets mostly done, but I want to play with custom dirt and RoughMets before release, and the support planes are completely finished.

Reflected Simulations did an early VF-84 livery for the Final Countdown mission.

Readme links to Google Drive for the 202 and 203 VF-84. Should have maybe left bags off but beautiful livery I was hoping for and found myself laughing at the music and dialog. Perhaps the earlier F-14A-95-GR version and Marianas map will make it the ultimate.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313266/

https://www.facebook.com/reflectedsi...07190087370573

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

The template technically can work with Gimp, the files are huge with a ton of layers and I know some folks have had to cut out portions of it to get it working. The DCS Livery Group Discord has plenty of Gimp users who could help.

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Reflected Simulations did an early VF-84 livery for the Final Countdown mission.

Readme links to Google Drive for the 202 and 203 VF-84. Should have maybe left bags off but beautiful livery I was hoping for and found myself laughing at the music and dialog. Perhaps the earlier F-14A-95-GR version and Marianas map will make it the ultimate.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313266/

https://www.facebook.com/reflectedsi...07190087370573

Good point, I updated the mission to remove the drop tanks :thumbup:

• Like 1