HUD / Radar target course don't match

Kula66

In a 15 in TWS mode.

Maybe I've just never noticed before, but was playing 1.12 online for the first time and the target course on the HUD was like, 4o'clock and the radar it was pointing 6 o'clock ... not something I've notice before, so I assume they always used to match. Has something changed?

In a 15 in TWS mode.

Maybe I've just never noticed before, but was playing 1.12 online for the first time and the target course on the HUD was like, 4o'clock and the radar it was pointing 6 o'clock ... not something I've notice before, so I assume they always used to match. Has something changed?

Well I see both pointing at 4 oclock or to your right so nothing is wrong here.

sigpic4165_1.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=36435&d=1266786388

In a 15 in TWS mode.

What you see on the HUD is not target`s course, it`s his aspect (his heading

with relation to you)... although it does seem to be just a wee bit off... maybe not :)

Well I see both pointing at 4 oclock or to your right so nothing is wrong here.

On the radar display, LHS of the cockpit, look at the graphic of the a/c I have locked ... it is pointing straight down, ie 6 oclock. The 2 don't match and I'm sure they used to!

It looks off, but it actually isn't ... the issue is that when you're looking at the VSD, you're looking at a B-Scope and the target heading is displayed as it would appear on the B-Scope.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

If we are talking about the steering dot, it changed a bit, it travel less then it used to so basicaly when you are in range but out of the FOV of the missile the steering dot will be out of the circle and wont have the launch light. The steering dot stays at the same place on the radar or the hud as it helps you have the best solution angle to shoot on that target. Changing the range on your radar doesnt affect where the steering dot will appear as if you change the range the target distance wont change.

So like in your example you have your radar set at 40nm, you have a target locked at 25 nm ~30 degrees offset to your right and his altitude is 3.7k. You are at angel 38.7 so the steering dot tells you that your best angle to shoot that target is right and a little bit down (~4 oclock position). If you change the range to 20nm, you will see that the steering dot is still at the same place but the target doesnt appear on your radar as it didnt enter the scan zone youve selected. If you select 80nm you will see that the target is below the steering dot so like I said range doesnt affect the steering dot.

I hope I didnt confuse you and hope it clear it up for you

Cougar

sigpic4165_1.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=36435&d=1266786388

Sorry Cougar, I didn't explain it clearly, done some more testing and loads of screen shots some even show target going left on one display and right on other ...

Also, APG-63 seems to have much harder job holding a lock, even head-on at < 20miles against a target at 10k' ...

As I understand it, any contact displayed (VSD) in a six o'clock aspect is on a collision course. So, since that Frog is to the right of the centerline, it should actually be heading in a roughly seven o'clock aspect. It looks screwed up to me.

Also, APG-63 seems to have much harder job holding a lock, even head-on at < 20miles against a target at 10k' ...

I agree. I've had dropped locks from head on bandits quite a bit.

For a doppler radar this is optimum ... so what's changed? Previously the radar never really had problems holding tracks ... now I had to re-lock 3-4 times between 40miles and 16 ... no jammers involved.

Didn't notice the problem standalone ... where I would say the 15/120 is more deadly

The radar scan volume represents the frustum of a pyramid, which appears as a triangle when viewed from above. The VSD however, is rectangular. Doesn't that mean there will be some error in angular measurements in the same way map projections (representing a sphere on a flat surface) have limitations in the way they represent geographical features.

I don't really know a whole lot about radar though, just throwing the idea out there.

The radar scan volume represents the frustum of a pyramid, which appears as a triangle when viewed from above. The VSD however, is rectangular. Doesn't that mean there will be some error in angular measurements in the same way map projections (representing a sphere on a flat surface) have limitations in the way they represent geographical features.

I don't really know a whole lot about radar though, just throwing the idea out there.

Exactly! :) ... although at this range it doesn`t quite apply.

As to APG63, I`m not familiar with it but it seems like aggressive manouvering

around the "notch" will throw it off really easy. Probably not that easy in RL,

hehe. Even the older radars had automatic "coasting" modes that would sometimes help

to reaquire when going through a doppler notch and return to the previous mode

that was used, like STT

For a doppler radar this is optimum ... so what's changed? Previously the radar never really had problems holding tracks ... now I had to re-lock 3-4 times between 40miles and 16 ... no jammers involved.

Didn't notice the problem standalone ... where I would say the 15/120 is more deadly

Were you co-altitude? Was the target manouvering?

Hey Kula66, I was just looking at some F16 docs and the pictures showing

a bugged target in TWS and the corelated HUD symbology and at 20NM

there was no difference between the aspect indication on the HUD and

the radar display on MFD... so, I guess it might be a little bit off.

As the the target gets very close, the b-scope effect would be more pronouced.

Crap! another edit!

The situation in the F16 pics was slightly different. The F16`s nose was pointing

almost directly at the target. In which case target`s "aspect" is almost the same

as his heading. In your pic the target`s aspect (imagine looking at him directly

and seeing a line out of his nose) is different from his track on the radar scope.

If you turned directly at him they should match.

So, in my view - it is correct.

This has definately changed in 1.11 to 1.12 ... before the two displayed symbols would match ... now they can be as 70degs out. Why the change? Did the 15s radar get a work over in the patch - MFD/HUD out of sync, radar dropping locks frequently ...

The radar dropping lock has been a feature since 1.0. I remember posting in a thread about it ages ago. Also it's not just a feature of the F-15. It happens in the SU27 too, which isn't that surprising 'cause I'm pretty sure I've read something by GG - & I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong - that there is realy only one radar in LO shared by all the planes, but with certain parameters adjusted for the different aircraft. & (as I just said somewhere else) I doubt that there is a "drop lock at 'n' km parameter to set for the F-15.

Cheers.

This has definately changed in 1.11 to 1.12 ... before the two displayed symbols would match ... now they can be as 70degs out. Why the change? Did the 15s radar get a work over in the patch - MFD/HUD out of sync, radar dropping locks frequently ...

It is correct in that screen too. Draw a line from your position on the

radar scope to the target`s 12 - 6 line. Notice the angle between these

2 lines. Now, look at the target`s "ASPECT" on the HUD - only slightly off,

if any.

Quick question about the radar symbology on this screenshot. What the

hell is MEM at the bottom left of the scope and couple of other details

that I`m not familiar with. Were you using a different difficulty level for

radar when you took this shot?

Now, speaking about radar - I never noticed an "unexplained" lock drop in

any version. The target was always notching, split-Sing or flying crazy.

Sometimes it seems too easy to spoof any radar in Lockon. That`s about it.

I do have a problem with AMMRAM`s performance though. Way too erratic!