How to join a custom server with a friend

Pajeezy

-Created a mission with two flyable F-15Cs.

-Port 10308 is open on both computers

-Created server with password

-Gave friend password and my static IP (as I'm sure he doesn't need my local)

-All he gets is message "Cannot connect"

Am I missing something? We can join public servers just fine :(

What brand of router u have? So we can look in manual fort settings to set up the ports. Most there are a rule is called "port forwarding".

- is your (internal) ip set permanently in router?

- are you visible from internet (ping, etc.)?

- what kind of antivirus/firewall u use?

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X @ 4.7 MHz            Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite AX    Module: 64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR5 @ 3000        Video: RTX 4090 PALIT GameRock OC 24 GB

Monitor: SAMSUNG U28E590 @ 4K                      Other: HP Reverb G2 and WD Black SN850X                    The answers is ... 42!

OP:

I noticed you said you can join "public servers" just fine... so I have a few questions just to clarify:

Do you still have public Server checked?

Are you guys in the same house trying to play over LAN? (I doubt it since you said he doesn't need your internal IP)

Are you trying to play on a server with the same license key?

Depending on the answers to the above, a common troubleshooting step is to go into saved game / DCS / Config and delete the network.cfg file- possibly the vault file as well. Some just rename the whole DCS folder as a troubleshooting measure. When the game is restarted, the folder is recreated from scratch with current system settings. Most often with connection issues, however, just removing the network related files suffices.

However... fill us in on the above clarifications if that troubleshooting doesn't work.

Edited by ENO

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Lol why does everyone keep pointing me to port forwarding when I already stated in my OP that we've tried it? I've even enabled DMZ to no avail :(

Because reading your entire post would hold up the reply. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

OP:

I noticed you said you can join "public servers" just fine... so I have a few questions just to clarify:

Do you still have public Server checked?

Are you guys in the same house trying to play over LAN? (I doubt it since you said he doesn't need your internal IP)

Are you trying to play on a server with the same license key?

Depending on the answers to the above, a common troubleshooting step is to go into saved game / DCS / Config and delete the network.cfg file- possibly the vault file as well. Some just rename the whole DCS folder as a troubleshooting measure. When the game is restarted, the folder is recreated from scratch with current system settings. Most often with connection issues, however, just removing the network related files suffices.

However... fill us in on the above clarifications if that troubleshooting doesn't work.

As far as your clarifications, we tried it with both Public Server checked and unchecked, we are not playing over LAN (Hence I'm guessing we use our external/static ip to connect) and we have separate license keys :/ Just performed your suggested action and we will see how that goes momentarily