Sudden loss of lift.

KewinSawicki

When flying maybe 2 or 3 m. above the ground or water the heli suddenly losses lift and i mean there is no way to regain it. Its the same when coming in for a landing and at points when I steadily get closer to the ground, water, or and object i want to land on the lift just disappears. When Its a landing the loss of lift occurs at different heights but roughly at about 15-30 m. Is this a bug or am i doing something wrong?

'Fear the strike'

• ED Team

controller spiking ?

Save a track file when it happens and attach it to a post, the community here are always willing to take a look and give advice.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Maybe it's because you lose ETL (= Effective Translational Lift)?! Whenever you are slowing down with your helicopter (e.g. in a landing) and your speed drops under 40 kts, you have to compensate for the loss of air flow by pulling up your collective Otherwise your sink rate increases rapidly. If you then follow up by uncontrolled stick movements (e.g. pulling up the nose to much etc.) you might get VRS (Vortex Ring State), maybe comparable to stalling an airplane (at least by its effect = dropping like a stone...).

Thank you for helping me with this. I had no clue about ETL or VRS so I'll firstly have to educate my self on these. Maybe if I know more about these effects then I'll understand what I'm doing wrong. If it happens I'll save a post the track so you can judge yourself but so far thank you for the help. Love this community :D

'Fear the strike'

• 2 weeks later...

The simple answer to fix this is to be aware that as your helicopter transitions to hover the added torque from the sudden power change puts you out of balance. To compensate you will need to do the following things almost simultaneously:

1. Increase collective

2. Increase left pedal pressure

3. Move the cyclic left

4. Quickly trim to the new balance point

Practice hover to forward flight (40kts approx.) then back to hover again a few times while baring this in mind and you should get the feel. I found that focusing on doing that while keeping my VVI as close to zero as possible taught me a huge amount and made the transition easier. That said, with a spring centred desktop stick that pivots just below your wrist rather than a cyclic operating down at the floor this is always going to be hard to pull off!

Thank you for helping me with this. I had no clue about ETL or VRS so I'll firstly have to educate my self on these. Maybe if I know more about these effects then I'll understand what I'm doing wrong. If it happens I'll save a post the track so you can judge yourself but so far thank you for the help. Love this community :D

A bit of advice when practicing is make a simple mission but in mission options IIRC change your default to immortal and it saves loading the mission again until your more proficient;)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]