Manual use of Coolant/Oil Radiator Switch & other questions

Zabuzard

When would one control the Coolant/Oil Radiator switches manual and which effect does which position exactly have? The manual only says that it can be used for "ground ops" and what the switches do physically to the aircraft but that doesn't help me to get an imagine of the exact effect and usage.

Also I'd like to know if the Ram Air Handle is simulated because I didn't notice any effect with the handle at Ram Air in a pretty cold flight.

Does anyone know which effect it has to the guns if one didn't use the gun heater, are they less precise then or does that only reduce the lifespan/ increase propabilty of a failure. Or is this not simulated atm?

Same question for the pitot heat does it only increase propability for some failures etc?

When would one control the Coolant/Oil Radiator switches manual and which effect does which position exactly have? The manual only says that it can be used for "ground ops" and what the switches do physically to the aircraft but that doesn't help me to get an imagine of the exact effect and usage.

They control the doors for coolant and oil radiator outlet therefore influencing their temperature. The doors should be manually put into fully open position and left there while ground handling. The main reason is that on the ground, the engine is at idle and produces comparatively little excess heat, so the automatic controls would shut the doors since after startup the engine is still cold. When you take off, the operation mode of the engine suddenly changes and it will transition from producing almost none to a lot of excess heat in just a few seconds. Since the door controls work very slowly and because speed is slow at takeoff, this might actually lead to an overheat situation which could stall the engine on climbout (which is the worst phase of flight for it to stall). Therefore one should put the doors to the open position so you get the maximum amount of heat dissipation once you pick up some speed. When you have established your stable climb, you can put the controls back to auto.

Also I'd like to know if the Ram Air Handle is simulated because I didn't notice any effect with the handle at Ram Air in a pretty cold flight.

It is simulated. You will notice the effect very clearly if you are above critical height. Establish a stable high speed flight at angels 25 and watch your manifold pressure when the lever is full forward compared to full back.

Does anyone know which effect it has to the guns if one didn't use the gun heater, are they less precise then or does that only reduce the lifespan/ increase propabilty of a failure. Or is this not simulated atm?

IIRC this is simulated. The guns are more prone to jamming in cold weather, probably the receiver will get frozen.

Same question for the pitot heat does it only increase propability for some failures etc?

If flying in icing conditions for prolonged time, the pitot driven instruments will fail.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Thanks for the detailled answer thats what i wanted to know! :)

Can you imagine more situations for manual control of the radiator switches? Heard someone talking of a manual usage in some flight situations like dives, climbs or at WEP usage.

Can you imagine more situations for manual control of the radiator switches? Heard someone talking of a manual usage in some flight situations like dives, climbs or at WEP usage.

Some people like to keep them in full open position during combat since you will be flying at high power most of the time. If you need to perform a maneuver that bleeds your airspeed while at high power, you might run into a similar situation as during takeoff where the radiator doors can't open fast enough and your engine overheats. This is less likely to happen if you force the doors open (and also it is quite unlikely to cool the engine too much during a dogfight, unlikely but not impossible). Personally i think that if you stay on top of your energy management, keeping the controls in auto even during dogfighting is sufficient, but it will kick you in the butt if you screw up.

Come let's eat grandpa!

With regards to the radiators, I fly with them fully open all the time, although admittedly that's because I've not long started with the P51 so a lot of the time I'm just doing practice flights, especially landings, and I had a few issues with stalls on takeoff/shortly after due to high temps on my first couple of flights.

Now, running with them open all the time will mean you're running "under temperature", but as I understand it, under-temp is really a wear issue over time unlike over-temp which has dramatic results (ie, stalling/seizing/exploding), so as such won't have any affect in a sim like this as we're not running any persistant servers/missions.

With that in mind, I wouldn't be suprised if under-temperature effects for coolant and oil are not actually modeled at the moment with regards to the engine.

Edited by Buzzles
Rewording.

With that in mind, I wouldn't be suprised if under-temperature effects for coolant and oil are not actually modeled at the moment with regards to the engine.

I think it is, but i'm not certain. We'd have to wait for Yo-Yo to be perfectly sure.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Some people like to keep them in full open position during combat since you will be flying at high power most of the time.

That's a kind of security. This way i don't have to always have an eye stuck on the temp gauge...

Furthermore, it doesn't seem P51 has speed penalty with all opened (of what i can see).

Nothing like the Spitfire or BF 109E anyway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Furthermore, it doesn't seem P51 has speed penalty with all opened (of what i can see).

There might be as under the right conditions, the scoop will produce positive net thrust. Right conditions probably include exhaust area, i'm not in the mood to do the math now, though. :)

Come let's eat grandpa!