DCS 1.2.7 Open Beta - Now Available

Wags

But it'll only speed things up if people participate in the stress test fly ins and help servers supply the data required to expedite fixes...

I think we might have a good set of data to go on right now, unfortunately reproducing the crashes internally everything but a piece of cake, even with the amount of data we were able to gather.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I earlier suggested a MP mission that ED made as a “template” for testing but maybe ED should run their own server all that time with extensive logging from the server. I think with the current bug reporting of MP crashes you are missing out many of the logs that can be acquired from the server operating system itself.

When it comes to having two “public” versions out it’s splitting the community in half. I think that is a step back. Sorry.

I think we might have a good set of data to go on right now, unfortunately reproducing the crashes internally everything but a piece of cake, even with the amount of data we were able to gather.

Now he tells me (lol)...

Okay, well I'm going to take one more kick at it and see where we end up. I had one change I made to the mission that resulted in a number of crashes and probably related to a sync issue in a patrol route function on-road... but it seems to me that was a known bug from a few versions ago.

As an observer, these are a few things I'd like to comment on for those who are curious:

That 1024 connection thing has been working really well in 1.2.7 and I'm going to highly recommend that people switch over with confidence and see for yourself.

The AI refuelling issue exists, but refuelling for clients has been dreamy- nice work!

AI door gunners for the huey have been a fan favourite and probably worth the journey into 1.2.7 on its own for huey drivers.

Stability has been at LEAST as good as 1.2.6... now that we know what is fixed and what isn't.

There is one glaring issue (if you ask me) about a memory leak initiated with the generation of dynamically spawned ground units... which has been reported and hopefully given some priority. If I understand it correctly, it may affect scripts that involve loading and particularly unloading troops since the concept depends on this dynamic unit placement.

CA is still clearly a work in progress and I'm not sure it's been improved much. It's not any worse in any way... so it's just maintaining status quo.

I'm going to start running missions in 1.2.7 while being mindful of a few potholes. Thanks again to the testors and the dev team for giving us a chance to help out. (It gives us a right to complain later, after all!) ;)

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

I was going to ask about this. I have been in on a couple of the test, especially the first that ED held. I had wondered if those working on the netcode saw enough to get some direction on some resolutions.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I just don't see a significant difference in the way things were before. The Open Beta is not any different from patches that have been released in the past, except they are calling it Open Beta and it has it's own bug thread.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I just don't see a significant difference in the way things were before. The Open Beta is not any different from patches that have been released in the past, except they are calling it Open Beta and it has it's own bug thread.

The logging was changed to be more comprehensive, for one.

The big difference is that once 1.2.7 is stable people will have a choice to play a beta or a stable version. Previously you only had the choice between the current (which admittedly wasn't always that stable) or an outdated version.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Not to mention its own completely separate, unmodified install... That's kind of significant.

I can do that with every version since 1.2.0. I still have 1.2.5 running too. Not significant.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

And will someone bet their left hand that we will have a bug free sim? Even after weeks of "beta" testing? New bugs will arise the moment they release 1.2.7 to all.

There is no such thing as bug free software once you go past a certain point of complexity. Not in this market anyway.

Do tell however how new bugs should arrive in a thoroughly tested version? 1.2.7 is feature frozen. The only thing that is going to happen to it is bugfixes, that's it. There's not much chance to introduce new bugs.

Come let's eat grandpa!

I am saving this one.

1.2.7 is feature frozen. The only thing that is going to happen to it is bugfixes, that's it. There's not much chance to introduce new bugs.

I am saving this one.

If that makes you happy... :dunno:

Edit: I think you misunderstand. I mean new bugs regarding the current state of 1.2.7.

Edited by sobek

Come let's eat grandpa!

I've been in several beta's over the years and quite frankly I've never seen on that went soo long between updates. If the regular beta had similar delays along the way it could be part of the long standing issues over the last couple of years. More frequent small fixes that allow the developers to test possible fixes would seem more the norm.

Don't forget we endured a week and a half long Russian holiday... where I believe employers have a legal obligation to close the doors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_in_Russia

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see things faster too... We're right back to being frustrated about lack of feedback whether through updates or information. Unfortunately I think the community was largely responsible for the absence of the latter since nobody could shut their mouth about how much better THEY could do it and how stupid it was that THEIR PRIORITY FIX THAT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE UNIVERSE didn't get fixed and how they were going to light the world on fire and not buy any more DCS related software as a result.

What happened? Well... no more updates. So here we are... still whining about it. :doh:

Edited by ENO
  • Like 1

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

What I understood was that bugfixes to 1.2.7 will not introduce new bugs.

I don't think I have ever heard that categorically stated about bugfixes to any piece of software.

• ED Team

I don't think I have ever heard that categorically stated about bugfixes to any piece of software.

He said that 1.2.7 is feature frozen, in this case not adding anything new as not to add any new bugs from the new additions, no one said that a bug fix might not break something else, the reason why we will have a few updates before 1.2.7 is out of beta.

Also no one should expect 100% of all bugs fixed when 1.2.7 is released out of beta. Of course there might be lingering issues or new ones from bug fixes that are not yet resolved. At some point though they will decide its important to move to testing of 1.2.8 and lock in 1.2.7.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I understand what you are saying, and that is indeed correct. However, what Sobek said was...

There's not much chance to introduce new bugs.

EDIT: Once you begin to edit code, there is always the chance to introduce a new bug.

Then you didn't understand. I said there is not much chance, i didn't say there wasn't any. Also when changes are strongly localized, you can perform delta testing, which means that you make an audit about what could be influenced by the changes an then test only that. There is still a small chance that something will slip through, but it is nowhere near the probability when there are true functionality changes.

Edited by sobek

Come let's eat grandpa!

But really don't you think there will pop up new issues when 1.2.7 is released?

It is possible, however those will most likely be rather obscure issues that have been in in current 1.2.7 as well.

Come let's eat grandpa!

• ED Team
I understand what you are saying, and that is indeed correct. However, what Sobek said was...

EDIT: Once you begin to edit code, there is always the chance to introduce a new bug.

No offence to anyone, but sometimes its tough being a moderator and/or tester as if your words are chosen to perfection, they get over analyzed to the next degree ;)

If we all think, we are probably pretty confident that Sobek wasnt claiming no new bugs at all, I mean he might be a Fangirl Goddess, but its not that bad :)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png