For all that play lockon in widescreen format

Hi,

I thought i would post the final results of our discussion on WS vs normal aspect.

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=13204&page=2

Above is the link to the thread.

Basically, when running in widescreen say 1920*1200, most knew to change the aspect ratio to 1.6 in the graphics config file. This just changes the image so it is not streched. It doesn't however increase the Feild of view (FOV), so you just get a cropped top and bottom image. To change the FOV open the config\view\view.lua

-- Camera view angle limits {view angle min, view angle max}.

CameraViewAngleLimits = {}

CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_27] = {20.0, 145.0}

CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_33] = {20.0, 145.0}

CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_25] = {20.0, 145.0}

CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_39] = {20.0, 145.0}

CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iMiG_29] = {20.0, 145.0}

CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iMiG_29K] = {20.0, 145.0}

CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iA_10] = {20.0, 145.0}

CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iF_15] = {20.0, 145.0}

Here you can see the view angle max has been changed to 145 for all aircraft, any more and the graphics engine starts to struggle. And as caretaker pointed out, at 145 we get the same vertical picture, but a wider view horizontally, compared to a 4:3.

A big thanks to Caretaker and Slatr for helping in working this issue out.

Below is a shot of the A-10 in WS

cheers

EDIT: People are complaining that the view changes dont help, but it changes the MAX fov. Thus the default view will be still too close. Simply zoom out with the keyboard, or lean forward and then re-centre if you have a trackIR. This will fix the problem, but needs to be done every flight.

787997551_A-10Fullwidescreen.thumb.jpg.460ad3b27ec094491ed51cf2911038bb.jpg

• Like 4

oooh....damn....now I really have to try lomac on my laptop. I just tried the demo on this beast but since the image was stretched I did not like it.

thanx for info.

ps:: checksix for reps. :D

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

i wouldn't bother trying it on a 4:3 screen. You would loose too much of your screen size. It may work though, try it, got nothing to loose.

The first step is to open your graphics.cfg (found in the config folder within your lockon directory) file with notepad and edit the following lines:

DisplayMode

{

resolution = {1920, 1200}; --- Whatever resolution you like. Divide length by height to get aspect.

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 1;

aspect = 1.6; --- This changes the image so it is not streched

Simulation

{

resolution = {1920, 1200};

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 1;

aspect = 1.6; ---- Same goes here. (this is the important one)

Then edit the file mentioned in the first post.

The only problem is, you must set all of your ingame graphics settings before you edit the files. for some reason, entering the settings tab within the game resets the aspect ratio to 1.3333 again. Very annoying. Not sure if it reverts the FOV also, most likely it will. Hopefully ED can have this fixed.

I wish i knew how this WS works with Track IR. unfortunately i don't have one yet. Maybe in the next few months. I would imagine it would work the same.

I don't fly much online but for memory it doesn't change your config settings, unless you enter the settings tab within lockon.

Good luck,

cheers

the human brain's way of detecting speed is not by looking at an object, but by looking at the edges of that object, and the movement of the edges across the field of view. Watching a car come towards you, you judge its speed (visually) by the edges of the car, your brain sees how fast the edges are "expanding" from the objects center as it gets closer. This impression of speed from an object is more easily observed when it is closer to you, because the edges "expand" at a far faster rate than when the object is further away. If you had an aircraft approaching you, it would be really hard to visually guess its speed until its very close to you, because at a distance, its just a dot, but as it gets closer, the edges of the object expand visually faster and faster.

Giving a wider FOV gives more movement on the limit of the human eyes vision, because the objects at the extreme left and right are moving faster across the screen, even if you are not actually looking/concentrating on them (peripheral vision).

FYI - this is also the reason why many people are unable to accurately judge the speed of motorcyclists. The "head on" object size of a motorcycle is very small, and most drivers cannot adjust their preconceptions about speed because they have trained themselves to guess the speed based on a "car". The motorcycle needs to be a lot closer than a car before the edges appear to "expand" faster from the center point.

There you go, useless fact for the day :)

the FOV thing works great, but I posted my results in the other "tech discussion" thread... it appears that the FOV for the SU25T is hard coded :(

Seems like something that should be in fix-it-list for upcoming FC Patch ? ...

BTW, ED Testers - pls make sure you test this in Black Shark as well ...

Will do :) I checked yesterday and indeed, it seems the Su-25T's FOV is always more narrow than in all other planes, which can be adjusted in the view.lua file by using bigger values, but is still incorrect. This affects all screen formats by the way.

Caretaker

ED Beta Test Team

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi,

I thought i would post the final results of our discussion on WS vs normal aspect.

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=13204&page=2

Above is the link to the thread.

Basically, when running in widescreen say 1920*1200, most knew to change the aspect ratio to 1.6 in the graphics config file. This just changes the image so it is not streched. It doesn't however increase the Feild of view (FOV), so you just get a cropped top and bottom image. To change the FOV open the config\view\view.lua

Here you can see the view angle max has been changed to 145 for all aircraft, any more and the graphics engine starts to struggle. And as caretaker pointed out, at 145 we get the same vertical picture, but a wider view horizontally, compared to a 4:3.

A big thanks to Caretaker and Slatr for helping in working this issue out.

Below is a shot of the A-10 in WS

cheers

In addition to all the above (aspect ratio 1.6, wider view angle max etc), how do you set it up to match the "default zoom" of a 4:3 screen when using WS?

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

• 4 months later...

Mods please sticky this thread!

Mods,

Please sticky this thread or take the relevent infomation out of this thread and put it into one of the other sticked thread that help set up lockon.

I don't visit very often any more but every time i do there seems to be a new thread about getting widescreen to work and people having trouble. (and saying they can't find this thread via search).

Thanks.

I'm sorry i jump this thread but i have problem with FOV, i have new widescreen with 1680x1050 and i change the aspect ratio to 1.6 in the graphics config file and now i see OK but i'm very close to the HUD and don't have more view on the side.

I change the numbers in config\view\view.lua in to {20.0, 145.0} but still no change, and i change the config\view\view.cfg to

CockpitViewAngleMax = 170.0;

CockpitViewAngleDefault = 170.0;

But no change in FOV, what do i'm missing?

Thank you.

GR27.... As far as i can tell all the information you need is here...

Step 1) Set your native screen resolution in Lockon GUI Options

Step 2) in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\graphics.cfg change the following values from 1.333333 to 1.6 (see below)...then save

DisplayMode

{

resolution = {1680, 1050};

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 1;

aspect = 1.6;

Interface

{

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 1;

aspect = 1.6;

}

Simulation

{

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 1;

aspect = 1.6;

}

AVI

{

resolution = {640, 480};

fullscreen = 0;

aspect = 1.3333;

}

Step 3) in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\Config\View\view.lua mimic the following values... then save

Beyond that...? Just zoom in and out to get the most comfortable view at any one time. I think it's the "*" and "-" keys above the number pad... I reccommend mapping these keys to your stick.

and PS - I agree with Natedog... Widescreens are becoming a huge segment of the market and we're only going to get more of these questions as time goes on, sticky somewhere please

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First off, thanks for everyones input and help on this topic so far. I have been unable fix this problem for myself though.

My "view.lua" file for 1.12 is slightly different then that posted and it doesn't seem to matter how I change the values, no change occurs.

CameraAngleLimits = {}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_27] = {160.0, -76.0, 110.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_33] = {160.0, -79.0, 110.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_25] = {109.0, -70.0, 105.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_39] = {116.0, -85.0, 110.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iMiG_29] = {160.0, -80.0, 110.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iMiG_29K] = {140.0, -65.0, 90.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iA_10] = {160.0, -72.0, 110.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iF_15] = {160.0, -81.0, 110.0}

This section has 3 values in my "view.lua" and I'm not sure how to change them so that my view is not zoomed in quite so much. I tryed copying and pasting the above solutions "{20.0, 145.0}" but no change occured. I have my resolution set to "1440, 900" and my aspect ratio to "1.6" and that works great. I would like my default cockpit view zoomed out a bit more then default, but can't seem to get any change to happen. All I have been able to do is change the default view angle by editing the "snapviews.lua" file.

One other note, is it possible to edit the default cockpit view so that it resembles the "naturalhead" view? As in the horizon is in the middle of the screen not closer to the top. In otherwords the view is looking slightly more upwards then the default?

• 2 months later...
are these limits over-written by a server's values when you play online? I always guessed they would, so I didnt bother playing around with the settings

Apologies for resurrecting a very old thread but i found this when searching for LOBS widescreen support.

Basically will LOBS support widescreen with undistorted views for all aircraft? Im considering ugrading my system and getting a 22"-24" monitor and a 8800gtx/R600 equivalent. If not ill stick to my trusty 'normal' 19"

Also i play exclusively online. If i have to fiddle with view settings will that not be overridden when playing on the popular HL servers??

Thanks in advance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22