DCS: Roadmap (unofficial - NO DISCUSSION HERE)

Silver_Dragon
Go to solution Solved by Silver_Dragon,

On 12/23/2020 at 9:46 AM, Silver_Dragon said:

added Octopus-G I-16 type 24 updates on progress

Any chance you could post the full update list? There is no news in the I-16 forum and I don't know where to find the announcement that you partially copied. I hope they finally give us a radio and kneeboard. Those are long overdue.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

On 12/24/2020 at 6:16 PM, sthompson said:

Any chance you could post the full update list? There is no news in the I-16 forum and I don't know where to find the announcement that you partially copied. I hope they finally give us a radio and kneeboard. Those are long overdue.

On the Octopus-G 3rd Party forum, under News and Anouncement post.

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/138-octopusg/

Bloody hell - amazing 2021 letter! Everything I wanted to know about 🙂

• Like 3

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

F/A-18C Hornet | Defensive Systems Update by Wags:

Key moments from the above interview with ED's Mi-24P project manager Alex Podvoisky:

- Alex is an ex-military helicopter pilot (1200+ hours on Mi-8). Working at ED since 2011/12.

- P ("П") model of the Mi-24 has been chosen by ED because of the real Mi-24 pilots who requested it specifically. Also, the Mi-24P can be flown, and most weapons can be employed, from both cockpits.

- The "average" Mi-24P has been modelled, the most common "domestic" variant, without any exotic stuff or particularly new/outdated systems.

- No movable "Ka-50 like" front cannon as seen on the Mi-24VP: the real one was imperfect, ineffective and not widespread. Pointless to recreate it in DCS.

- No UPK-23 gun pod (not installed on Russian Mi-24P's).

- No laser target designation: not suitable for this particular Mi-24 model. We'll only have optical designator (with a very basic gyro stabilization, so it's gonna be challenging).

- Cockpit shaking due to rotor vibrations will be similar to Mi-8, but less pronounced (as on the real helo).

- A2A missiles (R-60) will be added "later". Another ED team is about to start reworking all IR missiles in DCS, so they'll be able to spot any heated object - not just those airborne. This is required, since Mi-24s in Afghanistan were employing R-60 against ground targets.

The AI co-pilot:
* Co-pilot has been deliberately made imperfect and human-like: it will have harder time spotting smaller and low-contrast targets, or those not in its direct eyesight. No x-ray vision, instant spotting or dead-on locking.

* Co-pilot in the Early Access will be limited to basic assisting/targeting and enabling certain systems on pilot's command. Other features (like assisted startup or system checks) will be added later.

* It seems that the AI co-pilot will not be able to land the Mi-24 on its own.

* Co-pilot's menu for the Mi-24 is not yet finalized. Devs are aiming at something similar to the Jester/Iceman menu: radial, controlled via joystick's hat and TrackIR. Users will be able to change speed, heading, altitude, combat modes, and so on.

* Co-pilot's name is still secret, but it will be a Russian one.

* No Jester-like jokes and banter: from Alex' own experience, there's no room for that in a combat or training environments. "On RTB - maybe... We'll think about it later".

* Co-pilot will be available in English and Russian languages at first (users will be able to add their own languages via mods).

* Co-pilot/pilot injuries will not be simulated: "we'll think about it later".

Mi-24P in DCS will have the following weapons:

* GSh-30-2 (ГШ-2-30К) 30mm cannon

* Unguided rockets: S-8, S-5, S-13, S-24B
* AG Missiles: 9M114 "Штурм" (AT-6 Spiral), 9M120 "Атака" (AT-9 Spiral-2 - later in the Early Access)

* AA Missiles: R-60M (coming later - explained above)

* Pods: GUVs (same as on the Mi-8)

- Lipa ("Липа") jammer will not be implemented. Alex claims that this system is outdated, hasn't been installed on any Mi-24P for many years, and is useless in DCS (doesn't have any suitable threats).

- No President-S RWR/CMS complex for Mi-24 or Mi-8 (no data available). Only the basic ASO-2V dispenser ("АСО-2В").

- A combat campaign for the Mi-24 will be created at some point. No training campaigns or missions planned (at least not for the Early Access).

- In-cockpit (3D) NS430 is unlikely. 2D window - "maybe".

- No night vision goggles: the chosen Mi-24P variant doesn't have them, and is not designed for night flying. There is a remote possibility of an additional "night Hind" variant in the future, tho.

- Onboard, Huey-like gunners will be added "later". Devs don't see them as top priority.

- Regarding troops transporting/deployment: the Mi-24 team is not responsible for this feature, it's a core DCS thing. So they won't be available on release (if available at all).

EDIT: It seems that Alex was talking about the ability to carry 3D soldiers inside the Mi-24, and then disembark them with cool animations and other types of troop/helicopter interactions - his team cannot implement this, it's a core DCS feature, and another team at ED is working on it. Regarding the Mi-24 ability to just "spawn" troops - this was neither confirmed or denied.

- Landmines. Technically possible to deploy them with the Mi-24, but this feature is not yet implemented in core DCS. Same stands for the Mi-8.

- Visual icing effects: another core DCS feature, and the Mi-24 team cannot implement it themselves. Systems-wise, the icing will be similar to Mi-8.

- The autopilot system is fully functional.

- DISS (doppler navigation system) is fully functional, with simulated drift and drift correction.

- It seems that the Mi-24 will be very well-optimized: no Tomcat-like freezes on the first load, and, according to Alex: "60-70 fps on my laptop" (his laptop specs and DCS settings unknown).

- ED's AH-64D is already flyable: Alex is toying with one of the early builds, and he's quite enjoying it. Longbow is being developed by another ED team.

- Multi-crew for the Mi-8 in DCS: "I would very much like for it to happen, and will personally ask my bosses to allocate resources for this task".

- Bonus for those who read through the whole thing: multi-crew for the Mi-24 should be available on day one in the Early Access.

Edited by Minsky
Clarified the part about troops transporting.
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 10

Dima | My DCS uploads

PilotMi8 talk about DC on russian forum:

sorry by the translation

yes, it doesn't seem that such a meaning is invested in the dynamic campaign!)) the meaning is not to wait for side A to win over side B, being a participant in this big action. There will simply never be such a victory!))

Meaning - I turned on the DCS-dynamic campaign, chose the role of a LITTLE PARTICIPANT in this big action, played it for 30min..hour, and went on other things. And as a role - to be a pilot of a strike group (or any of the support groups: suppression of air defense, covering their tactical groups from attacks by enemy fighters, additional reconnaissance of the strike target, covering troops and objects of their coalition from attacks and reconnaissance of the enemy and other purposes).

Those. not necessarily to be the leader and commander of a tactical group, but to be part of a larger mechanism (which is what pilots are in real life). You left the game, and the campaign (the confrontation of side A with side B) continues 24/7!)) No players - the AI plays with itself, there are players - so they also participate. If everyone knows this, I beg your pardon for the tediousness)))

• Like 3