My 'pit'

cichlidfan

When I started flying DCS I had an X-52 Pro, no pedals, no TIR and I sat in an office chair. Then I got TIR, a set of rudder pedals and bolted the X-52 to the desk. Now it looks like this...

ThePit1_zpsdf2430c0.jpg

ThePit2_zpsb0728d5f.jpg

ThePit3_zps23c1ff2b.jpg

:joystick: :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

looks clean. what do you use the second monitor for?

Helios. Thanks to an Ergotron monitor arm. :D

ThePit4_zpsa67f31cd.jpg

I see I forgot to polish the monitor frame! :P

As for clean, most of the wires are anchored to the back edge of the table, with power strips on the back side and USB hubs underneath either side.

Somewhere I have pics from when I 'wire harnessed' it.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Question for Cichlid.

I'm considering a pit, but it's kinda a tad bit too serious for me. Is your pit any bit of removable? Or is that stuff bunkered down? I'd want a pit like yours, but it would be a tad bit awkward explaining to the guys....

Man I could really use a navigator right about now.

i7-3770K @ Stock

MSI GD-65 Z77 Mobo

G.Skill Ripjaws Z [16GB] @ 2133 Mhz

AMD Radeon HD 7950 [sapphire Tech] @ 1150/1600 Mhz

OCZ Vector 256GB [C:/]

Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB @ 5900RPM [D:/]

Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB @ 7200 [E:/]

Western Digital Blue 1TB @ 7200 [H:/]

Corsair AX850 PSU

Corsair 650D Case [so Sexy <3]

Question for Cichlid.

I'm considering a pit, but it's kinda a tad bit too serious for me. Is your pit any bit of removable? Or is that stuff bunkered down? I'd want a pit like yours, but it would be a tad bit awkward explaining to the guys....

It is not particularly removable though it is not attached to the floor. That is basically a car seat with all of the weight and structure you would expect plus a frame to support it, as well as pedals and triple-monitor stands (which I am not using right now). It can be disassembled but not quickly and not into easily stored bits.

Here is a link to the vendor http://www.volairsim.com/ to give a better idea of what it looks like.

As for explaining it... Well, most of my friends and family probably already thought I was the odd one, so this is not such a big deal. :D

Man...I am jealous! :thumbup: It'd be very interesting to see how you've tamed that mess of wires.

Mind if I asked how you got into this hobby? Since DCS is only a few years old, someone or something must have triggered a simmer in you. :D

Edited by leafer

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Nice, very nice. Stick pedistal looks rock solid. Was that a part of the "kit" or home made ?

That was home made. There was no center mount option when I bought the kit so I had to improvise. It doesn't move a bit once it's bolted in place.

Here is a pic without the rest of the pit attached.

JoystickMount_zps9a77a0bf.jpg

It is all wood with the main vertical being three pieces glued together side by side and lag screwed to the base. The stick mount is 7mm thick red oak. The horizontal bolts clamp it to a steel bar that is part of the seat support. The base is sized to just fit inside the metal frame sitting on the floor.

The whole thing was spray painted with three good coats of Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating which gave it a good texture and some protection against dings as well. :)

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Much appreciated considering what some of you have done, or are doing (cheers DM :thumbup: ).

One of these days the desk itself will go away but for now everything works rather well. Getting the stick into the center is really the best part of the whole setup. It sits a bit higher than I would like but I would rather have my extension than a lower stick.

you need triple head to go and a 3rd monitor. otherwise, your setup is good for 0-90 degrees left. Nice pit!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

That was home made. There was no center mount option when I bought the kit so I had to improvise. It doesn't move a bit once it's bolted in place.

Here is a pic without the rest of the pit attached.

*image*

It is all wood with the main vertical being three pieces glued together side by side and lag screwed to the base. The stick mount is 7mm thick red oak. The horizontal bolts clamp it to a steel bar that is part of the seat support. The base is sized to just fit inside the metal frame sitting on the floor.

The whole thing was spray painted with three good coats of Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating which gave it a good texture and some protection against dings as well. :)

Hmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

You have me inspired with that picture!!

Where do you find time for your Cichlids..

I haven't done fish in a while. The last move was the end for the time being. They will be back with the next (the final) house. :)

Hmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

You have me inspired with that picture!!

I am afraid to ask! ;)

Nicely done, man. Well done too :thumbup:

But inquiring minds want to know.... do you ever sleep? :smilewink:

Edited by Picksplitter

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

“God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.”... Voltaire

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy

But inquiring minds want to know.... do you ever sleep? :smilewink:

I do. Generally, I am likely to be asleep between the hours of 3am and 9am. Though I do, on occasion, see the sun come up! :D

Edited by cichlidfan

A previous version of the pit did have the MFDs mounted that way, but as things evolved they became more useful off of the monitor so that they can be used with other aircraft and sims. For the A-10, assuming Helios is in use, I just use the MFDs on the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to the vendor http://www.volairsim.com/ to give a better idea of what it looks like.

:D

Hi cichlildfan,

just wondering how happy you have been with the volairsim chair/ frame etc?

Are you happy with the quality/ build?

can you move/ mount the keyboard/ house stand on the left side at all? (I'm a lefty)

How long did it take to ship out to you from placing the order?

Thanks,

Phantom

P.S. Nice setup