New Saitek X-55

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kinda curious how everyone else is mapping the slider button considering it's not a "real" slider. It basically has a front button and a back button correct? What did you use it for?

I use it for Airbrakes.

For this to work, you just have to map it using the "command" method as follow :

In the "Press" section, map : CTRL+B for a least 4 seconds

In the "Release" section map : SHIFT+B for a least 4 seconds

Known issue :

If you don't wait full deployment/retract ingame it can mess things up.

An actual slider would have been better though. :(

HW : 4790K @4.6 / GTX 1080ti 11GB / 16 GB / Asus ROG Formula VI / Acer Predator 32" 4K Gsync / X-55 Rhino / Oculus Rift-S / TrackIR

• Combined Arms/Supercarrier/Nevada TTR/Persian Gulf/Normandy
  • F-16C/FA-18C/AV-8B Harrier/F5-TigerII/SA342-Gazelle/M2000-C/L-39 Albatros/C-101/MiG-21/F-86F Sabre/Mi-8MTV2/UH-1H Huey/A-10C Warthog/Black Shark 2/Flaming Cliff 3/Hawk T1A(RIP)
  • WWII : Spitfire/Bf-109 Kurfurst/Fw-190 Dora/P-51D Mustang

Great, mine showed up today and doesn't seem to want to work. Windows shows both devices as working properly, but the HUD software has the following issues:

- In Programming, only the stick has its buttons recognized. The throttle is recognized on very rare occasion with a massive delay.

- In the Settings section, no axis is recognized, calibration is not selectable at all (it's greyed out, as are the Y-axis and Rudder buttons).

Going to try to uninstall and reinstall everything. If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Well, by unplugging the throttle and joystick, going into Device Manager, selecting "Show Hidden Devices", deleting all greyed out drivers, and plugging both the throttle and joystick back in I was able to get the joystick to be recognized and calibratable within the Saitek software.

However, the throttle is still not functioning. The LED lighting on it goes on and off, and in the Programming and Settings (Calibration) sections of the Saitek software, it's useless. Nothing is recognized. Any ideas?

And yes, I am on Windows 8.1 :(

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

does it work in the Windows Game Controller area in control panel or devices and printers?

If it doesn't work in there then it could be a driver or hardware issue. For the sake of eliminating which one it could be, try it on another computer or laptop to see what happens. Because if it works on another PC you'll know its a driver issue relating to your DCS rig.

Also make sure you have the windows 8.1 drivers, not the windows 8.0 drivers.

Probably already tried, but it could be a USB port issue, try another one.

I ended up trying every USB port I had with the throttle...one eventually worked. At this point I was terrified to even restart my computer for fear everything would bomb out like numerous others have had happen (it works one day, the next it doesn't anymore because nothing is recognized).

So after that was settled I start creating a profile in the Saitek software. I've got the profile working and the joystick completely mapped. The macros are going well (i.e. if I hold the trigger, it knows to repeat "space" over and over until I release), and I'm testing every key after in the test function to make sure it's right. I hop in DCS to test is there, the buttons work. Then all of the sudden the button presses don't do anything, they don't register any keys. When I bring up the test function in the Saitek software or go in game, hitting any of the buttons doesn't do a single thing that they are assigned to. The key assignments are still shown in the software, and the software still knows which button I'm hitting (i.e. if I hit the red button, it lights it up and take me to my programmed keys), it just doesn't register any of the mapping for the buttons.

Honest opinion at this point, this thing is an absolute joke. I think it has (had?) all the potential in the world to be awesome, but it seems like a big lump of sh*t to me at the moment. I just started with flight sims 2 weeks ago...I started with a CH Fighterstick. Plugged that in, programmed it up, and was flying with 0 problems. This thing is just one stupid ass issue after the next /rant

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

^^^ Figured out why, the HOTAS is back to not being recognized...the calibration of everything is back to greyed out. Like before, button presses are recognized within the software but the actual registering of any input isn't there. FML.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Also make sure you have the windows 8.1 drivers, not the windows 8.0 drivers.

On Saitek's website, the only options in the drop down is Windows7/8 32-bit or Windows 7/8 64-bit, there is no separate Windows 8.1 option.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

A post to anyone considering this joystick, and to tie up my thoughts to my posts above:

I think it's a well designed joystick. I like the look, feel, the button options and layout, etc. However, the actual build and quality control on the construction of it is pretty much pure shit. It makes a lot of loud cracking and clicking noises for the rudder rotation on the joystick (which I was willing to deal with or mod myself), when mine arrived there was oil all over the throttle, it seems like half the buttons on the throttle are dead, and the software and drivers are an absolute nightmare.

After wasting 6 hours messing with it last night trying to make it work, I broke down and reformatted to Windows 7 this morning to see if that would work. Doing this got it to where the PC actually recognized the axis calibrations of both the throttle and joystick (finally!!!). So, initially I thought this was great news and after a few hours of hell doing a clean install to Windows 7 my problems were solved. WRONG! In the HUD software trying to create a profile, only the stick is recognizable. I can program the stick with no problem, but on the throttle none of the buttons or movements are recognized...which means I can't program any of them. So, the throttle is worthless -- one of the many "known issues".

Without dragging this on too long, here are my final thoughts:

I would advise against doing what I did: buying it. I purchased it well aware of the multitude of issues being reported pretty much everywhere online, but I thought "I'll be one of the lucky few that get one that works" when plugged in. Being honest, that was wishful thinking because I didn't want to spend the $430 on a Warthog.

Overall, it's designed well, built like shit, terrible quality control, and it's nothing more than a headache waiting to happen IMO, unless you are one of the lucky ones. Even then, who knows when the issues will start up (it is Saitek after all). The software and drivers are also shit.

I'm sending this back and my Warthog will be here from Amazon on Monday -- lesson learn on Saitek HOTAS's, I should've known better after all I've read about them being a joke. Live and learn.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Ace,

Received my x55 yesterday. I downloaded the 7-64 driver and saved it....you must not run it yet. I then downloaded the 7-64 software and saved it. I then ran the driver software....it then asked to plug in both devices into separate usb ports....(Mine are usb 2.0, I do not know about usb 3.0) When I plugged in the devices, windows recognized them and configured them. I then started the software and it has a statement towards the bottom that tells you that the driver is loaded and the version. You must do this in this order.

I have to admit that Saitek's web site is still a wip. The register new software does not work....the latest driver version is impossible to download, at least it was yesterday.

I used my x-55 on Flaming Cliffs and it worked very well...have not loaded the latest software from DCS even though I have purchased most of it....as I am waiting for a non beta version and Edge and the new map. Hopefully soon.....

Lazduc

Ace,

Received my x55 yesterday. I downloaded the 7-64 driver and saved it....you must not run it yet. I then downloaded the 7-64 software and saved it. I then ran the driver software....it then asked to plug in both devices into separate usb ports....(Mine are usb 2.0, I do not know about usb 3.0) When I plugged in the devices, windows recognized them and configured them. I then started the software and it has a statement towards the bottom that tells you that the driver is loaded and the version. You must do this in this order.

I have to admit that Saitek's web site is still a wip. The register new software does not work....the latest driver version is impossible to download, at least it was yesterday.

I used my x-55 on Flaming Cliffs and it worked very well...have not loaded the latest software from DCS even though I have purchased most of it....as I am waiting for a non beta version and Edge and the new map. Hopefully soon.....

Lazduc

Thanks for the tips, mate, but that is exactly how I installed and setup up mine as well. Unfortunately, my outcome wasn't as positive as yours :thumbdown:

I'm glad yours is running well though, I think it's a good stick when it's functioning properly. Enjoy!

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Ace can you post your computer spec? CPU, GPU.

Sure!

Gigabyte 990-FXA-UD3 mobo

AMD 8320 CPU oc'ed @ 4.3 ghz, stable

Gigabyte R9 280x GPU

Seagate 600 series 240GB SSD

Seagate 1TB HDD

...a bunch of other accessories, fans, SBZ sound card, etc.

Let me know if you'd like more specifics. My OS is Windows 8.1, although I reverted back to Windows 7 to no avail.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

No easy to say what's wrong Ace, 990 is an old chipset also so I guess your USB ports is 2.0? Have you disabled UAC? Checked for BIOS updates?

Wouldn't call the 990FX chipset old. Most of the ports are USB2.0 (Like most motherboards) but a number do have USB3.0 the Gigabyte boards have at least two. (Well i do on my 890FX UDS)

Check got latest USB drivers/ Chipset drivers as well as they might be corrupted and causing issues. I also suggest about UAC what Hijack mentioned.

No easy to say what's wrong Ace, 990 is an old chipset also so I guess your USB ports is 2.0? Have you disabled UAC? Checked for BIOS updates?

Wouldn't call the 990FX chipset old. Most of the ports are USB2.0 (Like most motherboards) but a number do have USB3.0 the Gigabyte boards have at least two. (Well i do on my 890FX UDS)

Check got latest USB drivers/ Chipset drivers as well as they might be corrupted and causing issues. I also suggest about UAC what Hijack mentioned.

There are 8 2.0's and 2 3.0's on the 990. Also, my case and my monitor stand have additional built in 2.0 and 3.0 inputs I tried, no luck.

During the 10 hours of hell, I did update the mobo and BIOS drivers to the newest ones, didn't help unfortunately.

I have UAC turned to the lowest setting, but never did the regedit to permanently disable it.

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Overall, it's designed well, built like shit, terrible quality control, and it's nothing more than a headache waiting to happen IMO, unless you are one of the lucky ones. Even then, who knows when the issues will start up (it is Saitek after all). The software and drivers are also shit.

I'm sending this back and my Warthog will be here from Amazon on Monday -- lesson learn on Saitek HOTAS's, I should've known better after all I've read about them being a joke. Live and learn.

Well that sucks, as the TM Warthog isn't really ideal for flying helos and the X-55 would have been much better with the spring removed I think but there's no point buying it if it's poor quality. Guess I'll have to keep trying to find a s/h FFB2 and make do with the limited amount of buttons and no HOTAS :(

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Well that sucks, as the TM Warthog isn't really ideal for flying helos and the X-55 would have been much better with the spring removed I think but there's no point buying it if it's poor quality. Guess I'll have to keep trying to find a s/h FFB2 and make do with the limited amount of buttons and no HOTAS :(

Maybe Saitek will get it all sorted out, who knows? Giving them the benefit of the doubt, it is a new product after all...that sai, the X52's have been out forever and from what I've ready those are pretty much the same story of playing the quality lottery. Lots of issues. If Saitek sorts it out, I think it would be a great stick and the best at it's price point.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Is anyone having problem with programming the stick through the software - especially when you switch between modes?

For example, In mode 2, I have everything fall back on the first mode one (which didn't work so I had to manually select each button function)

The only difference is that in mode one, the trigger is wheel brake w

and in mode two is fire (space)....even though it's clearly selected space, it still gives me W in mode 2 when pressed?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

You can get the Warthog for £230? I thought it was more like £300.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

The Saitek X55 is £170 where I am looking the flight store and the TM hotas is £250/£255 at some places online like laptops direct I think it was.

So it's very tempting to pay the extra lol

Pay the extra... You wont be disapointed;)

+1

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

• 2 weeks later...

So, people have had their sticks for a while now so can probably answer these questions more honestly:

Is it an RMA happy joystick (ie, keep sending back until you get a good one) as Saitek's quality control is terrible?

Are the reviews about cheap and nasty buttons to be believed?

Are you happy with it?

And most importantly: Is it worth buying or not?

This will affect my decision on whether I buy one or not, currently swinging towards the "yes" side of things as it seems to tick all the boxes and it's had fairly decent reviews, plus I'm in dire need of a new stick in the next few weeks with all the new mods coming out.