DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs

Home Fries

DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs  

19 members have voted

1. 1. DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs

• Keep DH/DT with Hdg Hold and BA/RA with Alt Hold (keep apples with apples)
    • Map BA/RA with Hdg Hold and DH/DTwith Alt Hold (like actual panel switches)

@Home Fries, I think you have a minor issue in the "SnapsView.lua" from SnapViews Classic Default v227.zip for SnapViews["F-86F Sabre"]

Array member 14 for VR is out of membership, lines 1677 to 1688

[13] = {--default view
	viewAngle = 85.000000,--FOV
	hAngle	 = 0.000000,
	vAngle	 = -7.591541,
	x_trans	 = -0.053361,
	y_trans	 = -0.066925,
	z_trans	 = 0.000000,
	rollAngle = 0.000000,
},
} <---------- THIS SNEAKY CRITTER
[14] = {--default view - VR
	viewAngle = 85.000000,--FOV
	hAngle	 = 0.000000,
	vAngle	 = -7.591541,
	x_trans	 = -0.053361,
	y_trans	 = -0.066925,
	z_trans	 = 0.000000,
	rollAngle = 0.000000,
},
},
}

Thanks for the report. I'll investigate and have a hotfix up shortly.

I don't use VR, but programmed the buttons based on the inputs of others, and I have no way to test it. If I need to make changes in the code or the manual, please let me know with specifics.
Please find attached a screenshot of the DCS controls menu with the VR=0 specific .lua file. The assignment for VR center doesn't work with S3+S4.

Can I provide you with any other useful information?

Thanks!

NEVERMIND - I've cleared and reloaded the .lua, it's working now for no obvious reason...

451090821_VRcenterissue.thumb.jpg.e2237db5cb212d2ff06833414a25f873.jpg

Edited by flyingflatfour

You can actually feel two detents very close to each other, which are the lower and upper limits to input for the values in Throttle Options - Cougar. I coded it so that you go to idle when the throttle clears the upper detent, and to stop, when the throttle clears the lower detent. The zone inbetween is a dead zone as far as idle/stop logic goes.

Gotcha. Now the values I find are very close to the default ones.

I think I was confused with this feature as I thought it would actually remap the throttle axis so that 0 throttle would equal idle detent, I guess these are only settings for the start/stop routines?

If yes, will any axis setting within DCS affect the routines? Such ticking the "cursor" button and setting a saturation value so that the actual idle detent position corresponds to 0% throttle input to the game? See attached screenshot.

Unfortunately the engine stop routine doesn't work in the F-5E... S3 + throttle aft of 1st detent for 2 seconds, right?

1292716298_throttleaxissetup.thumb.jpg.2d80f6d17112607c5bc3a9acb8dd2b16.jpg

I recommend loading the A-10C, or a FC3 aircraft with 3 radios. You should have the proper assignments then.

Right, that makes sense!

Tried to build the script with the A-10C as default (I don't have the MFDs so I can't hotswap profiles), the following error message popped up :huh: (see screenshot attached)

922505401_scriptproblem.thumb.JPG.12b141ac46ac8cbc32cfee658c20e7f3.JPG

Right, that makes sense!

Tried to build the script with the A-10C as default (I don't have the MFDs so I can't hotswap profiles), the following error message popped up :huh: (see screenshot attached)

OK, thanks. I'll investigate.

done and can confirm that it only recognises movement to the detent, yet when I switch to the F5 it recognises past the detent.

Out of interest, where is the files can I find the throttle setups?

This is by design. If you have "Warthog Afterburner Detent Installed" set to 1 in CTS (under Throttle Options - Warthog), then non-afterburning aircraft will use the throttle up to the detent as 100% range, saving you the trouble of moving past the detent. This is why you get full range below the detent with the harrier, but use all of the throttle with the F-5. Just set the above value to 0 to use the entire throttle range regardless of whether the aircraft is afterburning.

If you're curious as to the code, the routine that governs the throttle mapping is DCS_Axis_Init(), which can be found in the DCS_Init.tmc file. This is a global routine that maps based on arguments (e.g. number of engines, module-specific references, helicopter, etc.).

Maybe pushing past dentent on harrier should be enabled, as you will only briefly push padt 95 rpm, as if you leave it there to ling bad things happen

I thought about that, and even have some deprecated code in there where the warthog throttle lights up with RPMs 101-105, but the issue is that the Harrier's RPM is not static to a throttle position, but dynamic based on atmospherics. Best bet is to just keep an eye on the engine display and keep it under 98.

Ahh ok, will have to see if I can set it up within DCS with curves and remove the detent marker in the software, looking at the code and in all honesty its beyond me, haven't done anything beyond Basic back at primary school many years ago.

Don't sell yourself short. Last time I took a C class...ahem...let's just say I didn't get a C. :D I'm pretty much a self-taught programmer.

Hi HomeFries! Reporting back on 2.27B :thumbup:

- the CommState FC3 fix works ; I've successfully built and run the script with the A10A profile.

- so I've tried to assign the commands in SRS but I am getting another problem: since Windows 10 is causing an issue with TARGET by not hiding away the HOTAS Cougar controller when launching the Virtual Combined Device, SRS is picking up the former instead of the latter... I thought this wouldn't really be an issue but in fact it seems like SRS doesn't react to the input, the radio box LED doesn't light up when pressing the TQS CommSwitch fwd / VHF button. Vaicom does pick it up on TX1 though.

- I was wondering, since the F-5E only has one radio (UHF), would it be possible for those using VAICOM, to assign the AI COMMS/CommState (TQS CommSwitch aft / UHF) to Interphone, so as to be able to talk to the ground engineer without having everyone else on SRS hearing you out aloud? If I understand correctly you should be able to have VAICOM still pick it up by mapping it to TX5?

- Any idea why the VAICOM control box only shows AUTO channel with the NORM setting? When I switch to MULTI it then shows the UHF, interphone and AUX channels BUT then I loose the mic switch functionality... When using the A-10C it shows up all channels right away.

- the RDR range and mode are still acting in the reverse sense with the F-5E (CW vs CCW)

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

290430192_SRSVAICOM1.thumb.JPG.f98982155ddfcc9bfea2bff8495309db.JPG

298186478_SRSVAICOM2.thumb.JPG.4c0ad82a9b986e7eb4e6a6d996a82e75.JPG

Edited by flyingflatfour

I was also wondering, since more and more players are moving over to VR, if you would consider making the MFDs optional altogether?

Although I understand they really bring a lot to those who are playing on a conventional screen, they are arguably an immersion breaker in VR.

I realize this would potentially mean a lot of work, so maybe you would like to consider having a poll?

When playing in VR, the functionality brought by the MFD's could for instance be replaced by:

- aircraft systems interaction with all the virtual cockpit switches (easy to do in VR with 6 DOF and the mouse mapped to HAT1)

- a status box of the same sort as VAICOM that can be switched on and off, allowing profile hot-swapping, gear state change, status LEDs etc

What do you think? :wub:

Edited by flyingflatfour

I was also wondering, since more and more players are moving over to VR, if you would consider making the MFDs optional altogether?

<...>

What do you think? :wub:

I've racked my brain trying to think of a way to allow hot-selection without MFDs, but I haven't found an elegant solution that doesn't take away from current HOTAS functionality. Realistically, you can hot select using a single MFD, but you need the second MFD to select/deselect VAICOM and SRS on the fly. Most functionality in the profile is based on integration with the MFDs, and I have no plans to change this right now.

Regarding the pop-up controller, while TARGET does allow the launching of external applications (which is how you hear Microsoft Anna every time you load a profile), using an application to call a TARGET function or emulate the controller is an entirely different can of worms. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I just don't know if it can be done without major system tweaks. I hope I'm wrong and somebody can correct me on this issue, though.

I've racked my brain trying to think of a way to allow hot-selection without MFDs, but I haven't found an elegant solution that doesn't take away from current HOTAS functionality. Realistically, you can hot select using a single MFD, but you need the second MFD to select/deselect VAICOM and SRS on the fly. Most functionality in the profile is based on integration with the MFDs, and I have no plans to change this right now.

Regarding the pop-up controller, while TARGET does allow the launching of external applications (which is how you hear Microsoft Anna every time you load a profile), using an application to call a TARGET function or emulate the controller is an entirely different can of worms. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I just don't know if it can be done without major system tweaks. I hope I'm wrong and somebody can correct me on this issue, though.

you could try using s3 + the china hat on the warthog throttle....like a sort of a rocker for up/down...

not for me...i have bought another mfd to have the complete hornet package.

But i have another question...i was thinking about changing the stick...looking at the virpil one or maybe the fssb (well the f16 and then also lex that is a former hornet driver prefers it over a traditional moving stick).

So if i do that....will there be a way to use your profile without a thrustmaster stick?

The only real problem i see is about switching GSU and GSD modes...because for other features there could be workarounds but i don’t see one for it other that changing with the throttle and mfd. For example for switching profile (i don’t do it often as i mainly fly the hornet) i could simply change the setting for the starting aircraft everytime i need and rebuild the profile)...for center trackir i could change the bindings somewhere else etc etc.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

NWS Hi is missing

Hi, could someone please give me some advice. I've correctly mapped all the buttons and I am able to engage NWS HI with S3, while I am on the ground. Then I am departing, after shortly after I raise the landing gear with S3 (Shifted) an the China Hat. I am no longer able to lower the gear. It seems that the S3 (shifted) will no longer work. I have to do i by the KB. And then when I am landed, I cant engage the NWS HI. It seems something wrong with the S3.

Could someone help me? I rebuild the script, full reinstall. Mapped the modifiers and so on.

is there a NVG toggle I'm missing for the AV8B or NVGs are not mapped and should be done through keyboard ?

It's on ROSB16, with the NVG Gain on the RBRT rocker. I had to relocate it from its normal location due to the MFD/UFC functionality of LOSB1.

Hi, could someone please give me some advice. I've correctly mapped all the buttons and I am able to engage NWS HI with S3, while I am on the ground. Then I am departing, after shortly after I raise the landing gear with S3 (Shifted) an the China Hat. I am no longer able to lower the gear. It seems that the S3 (shifted) will no longer work. I have to do i by the KB. And then when I am landed, I cant engage the NWS HI. It seems something wrong with the S3.

Could someone help me? I rebuild the script, full reinstall. Mapped the modifiers and so on.

It's possible it could be a bug in the script, as CHF dynamically remaps with the profile because of TriggerZoom. However, the AV-8B and F/A-18C are two aircraft that don't remap S3 with the gear up or down, so I'm not sure why that dumped on you.

I'll investigate further, but if you could tell me everything you were doing with the profile while flying the plane (assuming it was the Hornet) that would help me with my troubleshooting.

So if i do that....will there be a way to use your profile without a thrustmaster stick?

If you change from a Thrustmaster base, you lose TARGET functionality. With the stick, that's a big issue because S3 acts as the primary modifier for all functionality.

you could try using s3 + the china hat on the warthog throttle....like a sort of a rocker for up/down...

Not a bad idea; I was thinking something on the stick, though (like H2U/D). The big trick would be the activation combination, though. I don't want to use a 3-button activation (those are complicated to program and would need to be added and tweaked for every module), and every S3+stick/throttle combo is already in use (even S3+S4+T6/LDGH global ejection combo is also used to change gearstate).

One thought: I currently use S3+SPDB/T9 Long to change logical speedbrake type, and the utility of that function is lessened now that I have separate FC3 profiles. I could possibly remap the swap activation to S3+SPDB/T9 long (2 seconds). I'll look into it, but it's a major undertaking and with my schedule it probably won't happen before April.

EDIT: Can you tell I was thinking out loud while I was drafting this post? :D

If you change from a Thrustmaster base, you lose TARGET functionality. With the stick, that's a big issue because S3 acts as the primary modifier for all functionality.

i see but a tempo long could be a secondary function ....anyway i have seen that fssb r3 can host the warthog electronics...so it could be the right idea

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

i see but a tempo long could be a secondary function ....anyway i have seen that fssb r3 can host the warthog electronics...so it could be the right idea

Yes, FSSB would work just fine. That just replaces the XY input, but the controller board is still Thrustmaster. Virpil would be a no-go, however.

EDIT: the Black Stork may be something up your alley. One of the configurations they offer is a passthrough cable for the Warthog stick to the Warthog base, so you use the Stork for XY and still have the Warthog stick plugged in for TARGET compatibility.

Edited by Home Fries

Yes, FSSB would work just fine. That just replaces the XY input, but the controller board is still Thrustmaster. Virpil would be a no-go, however.

EDIT: the Black Stork may be something up your alley. One of the configurations they offer is a passthrough cable for the Warthog stick to the Warthog base, so you use the Stork for XY and still have the Warthog stick plugged in for TARGET compatibility.

i think i will go on with the fssb r3 lighting...it is a base on his own but can be upgraded with the warthog electronics...so i will be able to use target.

It's on ROSB16, with the NVG Gain on the RBRT rocker. I had to relocate it from its normal location due to the MFD/UFC functionality of LOSB1.

Thanks for the feedback: this means that NVG toggle is only accessible through MFDs am I right ? Sorry but I am using VR and don’t have MFD so if this is the case I will have to use keyboard.