Good 3DS Max(7) tutorials for newbie?...

Alfa

For excellent tutorials, you honestly don't have to look any further than the tutorials included with 3dsmax. Also, pressing F1 in 3dsmax presents the "Reference" chm-file, which has the answer to any question you may have. Wonder what a certain button or tool does? Look it up!

I've used 3dsmax in 6 years, and though I no longer need tutorials other than to learn new software or plugins, I haven't seen any need for ANY other tutorials for 3dsmax, than the ones that are included. Now a lot of things could be said about 3dsmax having less power than Maya in its design and layout (Alias, makers of Maya, has been bought up by Autodesk now). But one thing 3dsmax excels at, is in the field of intuitiveness and userfriendliness.

Though, it is true that it would be best to have a tutorial for making aircraft, if that is what you want to do. I prefer modelling characters and environment, to animate. I'm not a big fan of making inanimate objects like vehicles. :) But it CAN be cool..

I am moving over to Luxology's Modo now, as soon as 201 is out. It looks to be the superior package for subdivision modelling as well as texturing. It does not have any animation or special-fx capabilities yet, but a future version of the program will. Maybe 301? :) Until then, I'll continue to use 3dsmax for animating, though I'll use Luxology's Modo for modelling. Also, Modo is much cheaper than 3dsmax. I have already preordered Modo at $695.

Seriously. Just do the BASIC tutorials INCLUDED in 3dsmax. If your daddy bought you 3dsmax8 (nice dad), you will have all you need. Then, when you know the basics of modelling, only THEN can you start tutorials on industrial design (planes are "industrial design")

There is no easy route for you to directly make a plane from day 1. I see you are composing your model out of multiple primitives, but that's not "modeling" - I did the same the first few days myself. What you have to do is to do polygon modelling. Polygon by polygon. SDS modelling is becoming the norm (SubDivision Surfaces). Learn to use the "Edit Polygon" modifier or "Editable Polygon" primitive.

If you have 3dsmax8, you will have access to all the tutorials you need to learn 3dsmax8. You first need to learn 3dsmax8 before you can learn how to make a plane.

Exactly what Shigawire said. The tutorials that come with 3dsmax are written in a way that will introduce most - if not all - of the tools and modifiers you will end up using. It will also help you to "think" like a modeller and realize what you need to do and when you need to do it in order to get the results you are looking for. Also, editable poly is highly recommended because it will allow you to add a lot of detail and still keep the polycount down (a must for models used in games). If airplanes are what you want to model, I believe the 2nd modeling tutorial in the training tutorial that ships with 3dsmax is for making a P-38 - but you need to have completed the other tutorials first or you might get lost with the interface.

iVIPER21sig2.jpg

In case someone is interested to practice on a model, that doesn't demand exact precision in measurements - ED has requested models of churches. Here's a nice Novy Afon monastery waiting to be made:

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?p=176436#post176436

;)

Even easier, BMEWS radar at Sevastopol:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/russia/sevastopol.htm

-SK