Improved Towns & Villages Mod

Hey Highwayman-Ed i've just downloaded and taken a look at the mod, it's freaking huge!

You should consider just uploading the textures you've edited so we can insert them ourselves into the zips the same way toby23 did with this work, this would save a ton of bandwidth.

I agree, I might just put the textures in on their own for those who don't use JSGME, I'm just trying to make it as simple as possible.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks great! I'm downloading and will be testing it.

On EDGE, however, you might not necessarily want to stop modding altogether, because the Caucasus map should not work with EDGE (would require to redo the whole map). So I believe any improvement you make on the map will continue to benefit everyone who wishes to use the Caucasus map (and let's face it - Nevada is great, but kinda limited too, so until there are 3rd parties terrains out, I guess both will be used concurrently).

That's how I see it, however.

Been playing using this mod tonight, and I just wanted to say thanks Highwayman-Ed! It makes such a difference to the look of the environment. No more nasty straight line texture boundaries at the edges of towns :) So far everything looks great, I've not spotted any real problems. Just did a Huey free flight around Tiblisi and even the big urban area looks grand :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'd defo appreciate a download of just the textures you've modified. I understand why you've bundled everything up, but personally I like to manage my own mods with JSGME.

Just a little update on some of the Phase II textures that I'm working on now I have a foundation... No ETA on a final version of these yet...

Screen_131013_170933_zps1cf05b6d.jpg

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

looking great!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I've done some more work tonight on adding details to the tiles, and there is definitely a fine line between a little and too much detail with the way that the tiles are placed in game.

These screenshots are taken in some of the larger villages, well away from the cities, and I'm tweaking them to make them work better where I can where overlaps occur. For now, here are a few early morning spring shots.

Screen_131013_234007_zps01cfbe57.jpg

Screen_131013_234114_zps522d33b4.jpg

Screen_131013_234543_zps461828aa.jpg

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Highwayman, you should experiment with a lower noise1PerSquare value in your High.lua, really helps with the scale and reduces the texture repetition with the DTAC terrain or toby23's mod -

noise1PerSquare = 2.0; or noise1PerSquare = 3.0; should look much better.

Great work BTW :)

First post updated with the latest links.

You will notice some repetition in cities, you will notice some overlapping in places, and you will notice occasionally that there are car parks on 45 degree slopes and some with rivers running through them. This is the nature of how DCS lays down the textures and there really isn't much I can do about it, and it's why I haven't included more details or proper roads in them. See the shots below for some examples from a summer morning flight near where the KA-50 quick start mission begins.

I'm still looking at the town textures, but they're more complex to work with and I may never be satisfied with how they work enough to publish anything, but I'll keep tinkering...

Screen_131014_190156_zps04d42704.jpg~original

Screen_131014_190252_zps442addb3.jpg~original

Screen_131014_190227_zps035d607c.jpg~original

Edited by Highwayman-Ed
  • Like 3

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great mod, Highwayman!

Just so you guys know, you don't need to actually insert the new graphics files into the zipfile. When DCS looks for a zipfile, it will also look for a folder of the same name in the same folder as the zipfile, and it will actually pull files from the folder before it pulls from the zipfile.

So all you need to do is duplicate your zipfile tree with folders, like so:

DCS World\
    Bazar\
         Terrain\
              vfstextures\
                   LandTexturesAutumnOther\
                   LandTexturesSpringOther\
                   LandTexturesSummerOther\
                   LandTexturesWinterOther\

Then simply copy the new textures into the folders, and there's no need to modify or replace your original zipfiles.

Note: this also works well setting up the mod for use with JSGME.

• Like 2

Great mod, Highwayman!

Just so you guys know, you don't need to actually insert the new graphics files into the zipfile. When DCS looks for a zipfile, it will also look for a folder of the same name in the same folder as the zipfile, and it will actually pull files from the folder before it pulls from the zipfile.

Note: this also works well setting up the mod for use with JSGME.

Very cool. :thumbup::thumbup:

This also means that the JSGME mods folder can be much smaller.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Good stuff Ed, im just waiting for the Gold coast meter maids and carpark attendants......

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a little question for Highwayman :

Please if it's possible can you give me the list of all your files that I need for obtain the same result than you (on your screenshots) ?

For the moment I've just downloaded one file: "Highways Villages Mod II - Files Only" but I'm lost for have the same result that your screenshots.

Please can you give me this list ?

I would like to thank you in advance for you help, excuse me for my poor English.

Best regards. Skull

Edited by Skulleader

You'll also need PeterP's HDR mod, Sweet FX, Mustang's Clouds (<- all bundled together in JSGME format here) and also Rocky's DTAC trees (available here). I also have a customized version of Toby 23's Low and slow noise file that I use as well, but I'm not able to publicly release that one.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed
  • Like 2

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just wanted to say thank you for the time and effort you put into this mod, you made my dcs flying so much more enjoyable.

I hope you will be able to work up some satisfying results with the city tiles too. They are in desperate need of your touch!

And then, perhaps when it's all done, Toby23 and you could join up and release the titanic_terrain_tile_texture_touch-up pack?

anyway, rep inbound for a job well done.

Thank you!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I click to download the full version (630MB) but i only get a download of 514 MB.

Is that ok?Missing something?

Is it JSGME compatible?

Updated, new pack is 210MB in JSGME format, see the first post for the links

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz