Air surveillance radars in DCS world

Tancrede

Hello,

Just a small question about radar systems in DCS world. Are they really working/radiating or else, doing there job of detecting aircrafs and missiles or are they only there for esthetic considerations?

Thanks for your answers,

Tancrede

• Like 1

Another thing that search radars do is share target data with air defense vehicles in the same group. A whole bunch of my multiplayer Warthog-flying friends got spanked by SA-9s and SA-13s one time after I added a Dog Ear radar to the vehicle group. They thought they were safe in the dead of night at 12,000 feet with only the DE search radar symbol on their RWR. The search radar and AD vehicles do need to be in the same group, though; data is not shared among different groups as far as I can tell.

No they work.

For example if you fly a Russian jet, Su33/27 or MiG29 with a friendly ground radar your datalink/MFD will be supplied with the detected aircraft from that radar. Kill the radar and this data will not be available.

This is just a example of the radars working.

I haven't been able to make that work in the mission editor since I bought FC3 (on September 20th). The ground-based radars neither light up my RWR nor put contacts on the HDD.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

What radars are you using? I'm a bit rusty with both fc3 and the editor, but I've never had an issue.

Tells us what you are doing....

Here's the first post I wrote about it in the FC3 forum. I didn't get any answers there, though.

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

I haven't been able to make that work in the mission editor since I bought FC3 (on September 20th). The ground-based radars neither light up my RWR nor put contacts on the HDD.

First, thanks for your answers. Il think I had the same kind of problem when using the mission editor. I had set up a US ground-base air surveillance radar on the top of a hill, near an airbase, and I was the Russian opponent with an KA-50. I never was quite sure that the radar worked and gave data to their own air defense systems as it seems that they were very passive or taken by surprise by the on-going attack.

Here is my very quick test...

Placed a single EWR 1L13 radar and it relaid the data to my MFD as expected. Showing a series of enemy contact while my radar was off.

Works...

Weird—I couldn't get it to show anything with multiple tries. I don't see any RWR noise on your screenshot, either, and I feel like that's probably an oversight?

Here's a mission and a track (the end of the track is me messing around with the Su-27; the interesting stuff is in the first few minutes).

Didn't have time to watch the track but I took a look at your mission. Evidently the EWRs are prima donnas who will only share what they know, if you put them first. Make them the first unit of the group and all is well. Put them elsewhere and they clam up. Or, at least, that seems to be the issue.

See the attached file. The EWR is first on the list. If I put the BUK first, the data link disappears.

EDIT: It's been a very long day (head slap). I should have just taken your Sborka, instead of deleting the ground units and adding new ones, and swapped it for one of the EWRs and given the mission back to you. But, anyway, if you do that, the data link works.

Rich

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Don't confuse the radar units that you can add in the mission editor with the radar antennas (surveillance and PAR) that populate DCS:World's aerodromes.

The first ones work and emit and the second ones are just decorative, no emissions or anything.