Waiting for first discount on DCS: Mi-8MTV2

This topic is just going back and forth along the two lines, but the core facts are still pretty clear:

- Yes, the modules are great. That's not in dispute.

- No, most people who paid full price are not inherently upset with the initial price.

- The majority are IMHO not 'jealous' or 'upset' with the opportunity given for even more people to buy into these products.

- Yes, there is irritation at rather needlessly spending an extra 60USD in some cases, justifiably so. Not everybody wants to just randomly spend money.

But the one core fact that really shouldn't be in dispute is that the lesson to never buy on the initial offering is pretty clear surely? I mean you don't have to resent ED or BST, you don't have to feel jealous, but it's pure logical sense to NOT buy when the product comes out from now onwards. I have lots of money, I'm not too phased by their decision other than what it means for their own business. Either way I would get the same product - one way I'd have an extra 60USD (and correspondingly, they wouldn't), the other not - surely they would have thought that this harms their future business? Why did they shoot themselves in the foot like this?

Clear! We've all learned or lesson now. No more "full price early adopter purchase which then looks like a fool two weeks later because of massive price drop" for me. It's nice that they encourage people to wait for the sales though, save us consumers some money, very consumer friendly indeed.:)

• Like 2

AMD FX-6300

8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LP DDR3 RAM

SAPPHIRE HD 7790 DUAL-X O/C 1GB DDR5

2TB SEAGATE HDD

WIN7 ULTIMATE X64

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clear! We've all learned or lesson now. No more "full price early adopter purchase which then looks like a fool two weeks later because of massive price drop" for me. It's nice that they encourage people to wait for the sales though, save us consumers some money, very consumer friendly indeed.:)

Indeed. Well said.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

Well I bit the bullet and got it on sale yesterday. Yes Yesterday at about 10pm my time :). The chopper is A LOT more stable than the Huey (with P/R autopilot on) and you gotta love how much power it has, landings from hover are easy but I still cant perform a rolling approach worth a damn...

Well I bit the bullet and got it on sale yesterday. Yes Yesterday at about 10pm my time :). The chopper is A LOT more stable than the Huey (with P/R autopilot on) and you gotta love how much power it has, landings from hover are easy but I still cant perform a rolling approach worth a damn...

Are you kidding me?! I have the total opposite problem, rolling landings are easy compared to straight on vertical.

AMD FX-6300

8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LP DDR3 RAM

SAPPHIRE HD 7790 DUAL-X O/C 1GB DDR5

2TB SEAGATE HDD

WIN7 ULTIMATE X64

ED / BST need to respond to this thread.

I have not seen many (any?) requests for people to get their money back. The consensus is that Mi8 is a great value product even at full price. And as a community we have a common goal to support the study-sim genre.

However to restore their customers faith, ED/BST need to recognise widely held concerns and find a way satisfy their customers - even if the recognition/recompense is non-financial.

Are you kidding me?! I have the total opposite problem, rolling landings are easy compared to straight on vertical.

Well I cant do em worth a damn, the main problem Im having is figuring out how to slow down and lose altitude at the same time. With the Huey I can sort of do it if Im low enough in initial approach, or if I swoop and increase collective at the last second. But the Mi8 has so much more mass it feels like I need airbrakes...:lol:

In any case the vertical landings are easy peasy compared to the Huey, just remember that m/s != ft/s

While we do sympathize with some of the reaction to these sales from original buyers, you have to consider the "invisible factor", which is that for every such complaint, we see a dozen or more purchases that would likely not have occurred at full price. It isn't even primarily about the increased profit, but the more long-term strategic goal of widening the DCS user base, which these sales have been a great help with.

Having said that, it's certainly not our goal to antagonize anyone and we do try to be responsive to considerate feedback. The sales strategy is not written in stone, either, and we are open to adjustment as dictated by user response and marketplace dynamics.

Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

I bought the Mi-8 day 1, not because I was so keen to fly the beta (I haven't even been in it yet -I'm still working on my Shark skills), but because I wanted to support one of my hobbies. Actually, I was really beginning to feel guilty for having spent so much time in DCS and reaping the rewards of all the updates and having only bought one product all those years ago. :music_whistling:

So the fact I paid more for it doesn't bother me. These guys deserve some of my money. But sure... if you're a collector of modules or on a tight budget, I can see how the sale might be frustrating.

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

I just bought Mi-8 and FC3 at the sale price so it is still there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

While we do sympathize with some of the reaction to these sales from original buyers, you have to consider the "invisible factor", which is that for every such complaint, we see at least a few dozen (much more, actually) purchases that would likely not have occurred at full price. It isn't even primarily about the increased profit, but the more long-term strategic goal of widening the DCS user base, which these sales have been a great help with.

Having said that, it's certainly not our goal to antagonize anyone and we do try to be responsive to considerate feedback. The sales strategy is not written in stone, either, and we are open to adjustment as dictated by user response and marketplace dynamics.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread! :thumbup:

Its a matter of timing as anything else, I for one did not expect to see the Mi-8 hit a sale so quickly, but I do welcome it and I am definitely one of those who would NOT have bought this module at full price, at least at this very early beta phase.

While we do sympathize with some of the reaction to these sales from original buyers, you have to consider the "invisible factor", which is that for every such complaint, we see at least a few dozen (much more, actually) purchases that would likely not have occurred at full price.

Honestly, if a 60% discount yields you so many more sales, perhaps your original price was too high.

Personally, I'm quite happy about the sale, and I may buy Mi-8 key now which I wouln't have otherwise. I got slightly burned with the Steam sale on the Huey (considering it was just a week after you released a non-working version there that you took two days to fix), but with everything else I got at the sale, I still came out ahead.

Thanks for your answer, EB.

The sales now has finally decided me to buy DCS: Mi8. Hope now to have the time to play with... If not, I consider it's not lost, I've put my grain to support the movement :)

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

One option I would like to see explored is for full price buyers of Mi8 and/or UH1 to be offered a discount off the next BST product

While we do sympathize with some of the reaction to these sales from original buyers, you have to consider the "invisible factor", which is that for every such complaint, we see at least a few dozen (much more, actually) purchases that would likely not have occurred at full price. It isn't even primarily about the increased profit, but the more long-term strategic goal of widening the DCS user base, which these sales have been a great help with.

Thank you for your reply. For me its clear now that your full price was way to high as it seems you cant sell enough copies for $49,99. I did buy both your products at full price and i really love the modules. But i cant help feeling slightly irritated after the same big sale on both products after a short period. Please consider lowering your module price to say $29,99 next module on release. That way you prevent this whole discussion.

g8PjVMw.png

That is your assumption based on nothing but your annoyance.

Price reductions always increase units sales... it does not mean it was too expensive or they were struggling. :doh:

Thats your opinion :smilewink: my annoyance was yesterday im just trying to give feedback

g8PjVMw.png

While we do sympathize with some of the reaction to these sales from original buyers, you have to consider the "invisible factor", which is that for every such complaint, we see a dozen or more purchases that would likely not have occurred at full price. It isn't even primarily about the increased profit, but the more long-term strategic goal of widening the DCS user base, which these sales have been a great help with.

I'm one of the "invisible" people (I know you didn't mean it like that; I just didn't know how else to word it) who was interested in the Mi-8, but not for $50. I picked it up at $20 and am very happy with it :)

One thing that you might want to consider, if you find that initial sales at full price drop too much (because of veteran/core supporters waiting for the first sale), you could try releasing at $30 (or $20), but with the option to increase the amount paid (a tip, like with most bundles nowadays). That way, veterans/core customers can feel like they've been given a fair choice - to pay a discounted price or to pay more because they like the product/want to support it and have enough money to do so. You could potentially add in some kind of small bonus for $50+ purchases (perhaps earlier access to patch content, as beta testers, or even just a little icon for their forum account, saying they're a supporter).

Alternatively, I guess you could go the direct route and just tell everyone what they already should know - that you're releasing it at full price and you can and will reduce that price with the next sale (whenever that may be).

I can't say I envy you; you have a seemingly sizeable core of players who would ordinarily pay $50, but won't if you make the game go on sale in a few weeks. But not putting it on sale could mean that you just get a small burst of $50 sales and miss out on a big burst of $20 sales. Rock and a hard place, really.

• Like 1

Hi,

Perhaps I will buy Mi-8 once again and I will play on this latest buy, rather than on bought 2 weeks ago: -). It partly will solve a problem, because I will take the benefit from the sale :-).

Also sprach Zarathustra

Boski Logos

Post#406 MrJoel wrote:

If you want to support and encourage developers then pay the price at release if you can and enjoy the module. If money is tighter just hold off a while. I support when I can and take advantage of saving when I can.

Either way I plan on continuing to support DCS World development as best as my wallet will allow.

I think like you because DCS is my passion, the only software that I use with my PC and of course I support the developers of ED and Belsimtek.

Each time that I'm seat down in my Huey or Mi-8 I'm very happy to have payed the full price because these two helicopters are incredible.

After it's just one personnal question, few guys (like me) bought the full price and the other guys wait and bought the discount price, it's just a personnal choice.

For be honest everybody knew that the price of the modules will be discount in few month, the question is simple: Buy the full price or wait the discount, nobody is obliged to bought the full price.

So why the topic ?

It's a steril topic because each guy make that he want, two price at two moment of the year, it's easy to understand...

Bye, Skull.

60% discount for the Huey 7 weeks past release...

60% discount for the Mi-8 only 2 weeks past Beta-release...

I was to curious, so i bought both helicopters within the first week of their releases and paid full prices. The quality of the helicopters is amazing, but all I learned in this well elaborated pricing policy is following:

no product is worth more than 20$ and I will never buy any product of ED (and partners) direct after release. Two weeks of waiting for the next discount aren't a challenge.

Post#406 MrJoel wrote:

For be honest everybody knew that the price of the modules will be discount in few month, the question is simple: Buy the full price or wait the discount, nobody is obliged to bought the full price.

So why the topic ?

Because the discount was not after a few months but after 2 weeks. I assume everyone understands that there is a drop in sold copies after a time and that a discount can increase it again. Probably it was just bad luck with timing and the Mi-8 being released shortly before autum sale.

I would welcome a discount for early buyers (like with arma, or bf) and sales some time after final release, but apparently the sim marked is working differently.

Other than that, i'll go and have fun with my 2 weeks old Mi-8 now (which i think is totally worth the full price anyways ) ;).

Edited by Gate-5