Single player missions of formation flying?

ozTRipwiRE

Hi,

Just looking for any single-player missions that exist that could help me to practice formation take-offs, formation flying and landings in preparation for doing these sort of things in online coop and multiplayer with real human players. Can anyone please put me onto any of these type of missions that are out there? I know that opportunities exist of training with other people but I am still working on competency with the DCS games and I may not be ready for that yet. I have never played any online coop and multiplayer with the DCS sims and was wondering if anyone could tell me what exactly it involves? I presume it involves formation flying and things like that. What else does it involve? Would a normal Turtle Beach Xbox 360/PC headset work for it do people need to download software to play online and communicate properly with other players?

Thanks very much,

ozTRipwiRE

Teamspeak 3 is one of the popular choices and yes any headset / mic will do. Of course people have their favourites but so long as you can hear and be heard... what more do you need?

As for single player missions that help practice formation flying... it's quite easy to set up a mission where you start mid flight and just fly formation on an AI aircraft. AI has a pretty unrealistic flight model right now so you'd need to keep things pretty straight and level- once they start maneuvering your formation will go to crap.

If you want I can set you up with the simplest of missions- or take a crack at the mission editor.

Send me a note if you want a quick mission.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Hey TRirwiRE most servers use Teamspeak3 to talk to one another. It's a free download and easy to use. My advice to you is jump in on a multiplayer server or look for a squad to join. There are many ppl out there that love to teach you how to fly and stop worrying about how good you are right now, cause with all their help you'll only get better. If you look at the multiplayer servers they will most often tell you their Teamspeak settings and password if it is an open server. The only single player formation mission I flew drove me nuts cause the AI would yell at you to tighten up then hit the breaks or turn hard and you would lose them. Sorry for being all over the place here, just jump online and fly with ppl. Best thing I ever did?

Hi ENO,

Thanks for your help. I would like you to make a simple formation flying mission for me actually. Would it be possible to make one for the Huey as it is my favourite aircraft? If that is not possible then one for the Mig29S or similar aircraft would also be much appreciated.

Thanks,

ozTRipwiRE

Eh man- don't want to be "that guy" making promises he can't keep... but I'm not getting as much seat time in the mission editor as I expected. I wouldn't hold your breath on the mission though it won't be hard to cook up once I get the chance.

"ENO"

On a another note, we do have some guys flying new machines right now- UH-1 is a particular favourite of many of our regular members at both the Firehouse and Hollow Pointe servers. I highly recommend either server if you want to take it to the MP environment. The regs there are very patient and happy to help out provided you don't ask "What button do I have to press to blow stuff up?!"

TS3 is run through the SimHQ server- and if you want to join on TS3 (recommended) you need a free registration there. You can get the details for that on the link in my sig (SIMHQ).

"ENO"