My suggestion for new system mouse pointer (solve click precision with TrackIR)

Legolasindar

First of all, sorry for my bad english. One of the big problems we use those peripherals such as TrackIR, FreeTrack, FaceTrackNoIR and others, is that when you press buttons, it becomes difficult to hit fast and well, since these solutions suffer from low precision and tremors (shakes), depending on us to use, and is accentuated more with more toward the edges look.

This is because our mouse is anchored in our sight, and all movement is reflected in the mouse.

An easy solution to this, is to anchor the mouse to the cabin. This means that the mouse always this fixed at the same point, no matter where we look.

Thus, although we have low accuracy or tremors, our mouse always pointed where we want.

In this image show the concept, I hope you understand.

DCS_newmousepointer.jpgDCS_newmousepointer.jpg

And to keep the mouse pointer around the cabin, where the mouse pointer reaches the edge of the screen, the screen drag the mouse pointer, so you will not miss it for the cab.

I think it's an easy and good solution, and could put as an option, ie you can use the classic or the new system, with a selector in the Options Menu of the simulator.

I hope ED note my solution and to seeing you soon in any upgrade, thank you.

Edited by Legolasindar
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cavallers del Cel - Comunintat Catalana de Simulació http://www.cavallersdelcel.cat

Others have brought this idea up before and it's a good one. Currently I don't fly the A-10C because it is difficult for me to use the mouse. Throw in some poor FPS and the mouse functionality is pretty much gone, your idea would help a lot I this area.

This is exactly what I've been hoping for. I find it way too hard to keep my head still enough to click on things, so I usually end up pausing (or active pausing) until I manage to click it right. I can be really frustrating, so I'd love to see something like this implemented.

Same discussion here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=110818

Well my friend, this is definitely an interesting idea. But one thing came on my mind - you shouldn't never forget, where you left your cursor, or you will end in turning your head left and right to search for it.

Cursor, hey cursor! Where are you? Oh here you are, good doggie, err cursor :lol:

Imho leaving the cursor as it is now and making it "magnetic", or attachable to the knobs and switches would be better for cockpit clicking, as we can see in Falcon BMS.

Well the edge of the screen could be the barrier for it. The BMS magnet curser has it own issues when you want to move it one over to a close button. I find I have to move my mouse hard to break the lock then come in from a different direction to hit the next button.

Or when the cursor hit the edge of the screen when turning head, it 'sticks' to this edge until moved manually.

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

+100

This is a long time wish.

The only thing I could do was to increase the zoom smoothing modifier in my Freetrack so when I move forward the head movement becomes smoother or "sluggish" removing the small tremor that makes me miss sometimes the buttons. But is not perfect. Even the mouse itself has some tremor sometimes (although is a Razer Mamba).

Such solution would be way better. To have the "cursor" animated as an object in cockpit rather than a poor mouse on the moving/shaking screen.

This solution would open the possibility of later animating the cockpit body so when you press a button the actual hand would move and click it. In the future Oculus Rift plus Leap Motion could make the virtual cabin as real as it could be. :) (I know... dreaming too much for now)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

This is at least something that should be experimented with. The magnetic cursor is super annoying if you need to press one small button amongst many others like in case of CDU as it's hard to move the cursor quickly from button to button. Using TIR pause is not ideal either as you need to press a key in keyboard which is simply hassle.

Maybe it would be better when the cursor goes out of the screen that it disappears altogether and when you move mouse again it appears at the center of the screen.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

I'm all for this improvement as well.

Assigning a pause button to TrackIR is a good idea. Though I use freetrack, anyone know if there is a similar function?

314-я смешанная авиационная дивизия

314th Mixed Aviation Division: The "Fighting Lemmings"- Forums: http://314thsquadron.enjin.com/ - ED Forum Group: http://forums.eagle.ru/group.php?groupid=119

I have thought about something like this as well and I think it would be pretty easy to do:

- When mouse is moved physically, do a collision check to the cockpit geometry from the new cursor coordinates. Store nearest intersection point as 3D cursor coordinates in model space.

- At every frame, project the 3D coordinates back to screen space and move mouse cursor there.

Only issue should be to do the steps in correct place and how to deal with the cursor going outside the screen.

As a cyborg, you will serve SHODAN well

http://www.kegetys.fi

I'm all for this improvement as well.

Assigning a pause button to TrackIR is a good idea. Though I use freetrack, anyone know if there is a similar function?

Should work the Same,

if the Cursor is detached/unlinked from the Camera movements, its position will hold relative to the cockpit instead of relative to the view angle/camera movement.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

there is pause in freetrack also. but I don't use it. Freetrack rules so good that besides centering once per night I don't need to touch it. However I have a 30 zoom smoothing multiplier set in General tab so when I lean forward the moving speed is reduced and mouse aiming buttons is easier.

It is true that not all buttons require to lean forward...

Having the clicky cursor as an object in the cockpit would be beter. maybe even to have 3 axis on it so pressing right click to move it in Z axis would be necessary if moving it via Headtracking would not be possible..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I dont bother with Zoom/Y Axis Movement on Track IR,

I Mapped Zoom In / Out to my HOTAS, So I Sit back in my Seat, look around, use the Zoom IN/OUT Buttons on the Throttle to zoom...

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

there is pause in freetrack also. but I don't use it. Freetrack rules so good that besides centering once per night I don't need to touch it. However I have a 30 zoom smoothing multiplier set in General tab so when I lean forward the moving speed is reduced and mouse aiming buttons is easier.

It is true that not all buttons require to lean forward...

Having the clicky cursor as an object in the cockpit would be beter. maybe even to have 3 axis on it so pressing right click to move it in Z axis would be necessary if moving it via Headtracking would not be possible..

Can you post your settings for freetrack? That 30 zoom smoothing multiplier sounds like something that I've been trying to figure out.

314-я смешанная авиационная дивизия

314th Mixed Aviation Division: The "Fighting Lemmings"- Forums: http://314thsquadron.enjin.com/ - ED Forum Group: http://forums.eagle.ru/group.php?groupid=119

Although pause the TrackIR is a temporary arrangement, it is no solution, in a combat situation, we need to quickly press buttons, and pause our own view is inconvenient.

We have a great simulator, let's give the necessary solutions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cavallers del Cel - Comunintat Catalana de Simulació http://www.cavallersdelcel.cat

Can you post your settings for freetrack? That 30 zoom smoothing multiplier sounds like something that I've been trying to figure out.

I'm at work now and don't have my settings at hand but my squad mate Korn made some pics a while ago:

this is in general tab which affects all profiles at once... here I have 30

ibvv9f.jpg

and this is the same setting on a sub page of one single profile where you can set another value. just remember that they add up don't replace eachother

una5s.jpg

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've attached a Freetrack profile with zoom smoothing, so you can copy and paste the relevant sections from that into your own profile if you want.

DCS.zip

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen