What to learn after start up?

craptakular

either this, or if you are using an Android based smartphone so go for the DCS Manager. This app provides everything important as well as the Runwaynumbers.

Definately worth a look.

Or if you have an iPad or iPhone then download an app called iWarthog - same as DCS Manager (i actually prefer it, got an iPad and a nexus so I can compare) and it's got detailed aerodrome charts with all runway headings and neccesary info.

As someone else said, if you aren't sure what runway to head to, just remember which runway ATC told you to go to (i.e. rw 13), keep a situational awareness of where the runway is in relation to you, and then taxi in the general direction of the opposite heading in this case a bearing 310 (allow for a deviation of up to 90 degrees either way if you get worried, the taxiways won't always run parallel to the runway).

Edited by GC1993

The ATC will tell you wich rwy you will have to take off from. On the smaller airports you can taxi simply by your hdg, for the more complex ones you can use the F10-Map. On some servers/missions this will be disabled though.

Or he can download JaBoG Virtuelles charts which detail to every parking lot on the fields in DCS.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Well, doing the whole CAS thing is pretty complicated. It of course depends on how serious you want to be. You can be super serious and read stuff like this (T-45 Weapons/Strike) and hone hyper realistic skills, or you can fudge it and consider whatever works good enough.

The only thing that differentiates CAS from normal ground attack is the presence of friendly forces in close proximity as far as I understand. The available methods of delivery as far as actually flying the plane would be roughly the same, its just the way you choose one or another and avoid some in particular that's affected by the scenario. Think of the delivery as a skill and the CAS being simply the conditions that dictate the appropriate skill for the task.

A good primer on tactical weapons delivery would be this: Hog Basics: RAF Bentwaters Tactics Guide, 1982. Its a good overview of how a 2 man flight of HOGs would approach a tactical delivery. That said, its not exhaustive and relies on 80s doctrine which is effectively the opposite of whats been done since the 90s. You gotta realize that tactics are not a static concept. They are or should be based on the situation and the threat. The threat in the 80s was a massive Soviet army with powerful Air support and SAMs that could strike a high flying A-10. That threat is not present in what the US does most of the time since 1991 so the A-10 now mostly flies above the highest ground threat, and so far in the last 10 years that's been basically AKs. Also, what the A-10 was going to do in the 80s wasn't expected to be CAS per se, because a ground attack aircraft can do any number of ground attack missions. Most A-10 missions people play are a wide variety of just about anything. Whats shared amongst them is a lot of how you just put the weapons where you want them. The advanced systems the C has doesn't negate much of the thinking in that 80s treatise either, it just opens horizons for new ones, but doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't consider going old school sometimes.

So you gotta realize that tactics and how to go about killing stuff is an exercise in assessing the situation, determining the correct tactics, and adhering to them until the situation and your own judgment determine its time to change them. That means there's no easy answer for "how do I do CAS?". The good news is that you can start in easy mode, fly with no enemy threat, and just practice the delivery itself, which is what real pilots do too. They bomb targets, get good at hitting them, then work on stuff like flying tactically to avoid getting killed before during and after putting iron on enemy. A better way to start would probably be instead to ask "How many ways can I deliver Weapon X?" then later it becomes "How would I deliver Weapon X in Situation Y?". Then you have an argument with somebody because everyone has a different opinion. :P

For basic flight maneuvers, there are no doubt dozens of resources for this. The basic principles of flight haven't changed much in 100 years so using something like this WW2 video is no less helpful than using anything else:

The list of basic maneuvers that any pilot should be able to do is lengthy but each is relatively simple, though some are harder than others. I'm pretty crap at doing a slow roll, but barrel rolls, aileron rolls, loops, and chandelles and many others are easier to master. Basic maneuvers aren't all technically useful in real scenarios, but they form a basis for more practical maneuvers which are usually composites of these skills demonstrated in the base maneuvers. So you wouldn't do a barrel roll in a tactical situation exactly as the video demonstrates, you'd do it often with less preparation and probably a bit less accurately, but doing a barrel roll along the axis of an IR SAM's track to you is an effective tactic but would not resemble the textbook barrel roll seen in a training vid, at least not exactly.

Part of mastering basic maneuvers is it just makes you better at knowing how your airplane handles. Being able to do a single aileron roll without losing altitude means you know how much pitch to add before going into it. Knowing how much alt you lose doing a split-s at 5000 feet and 300 knots means you know if you'll crash or not when doing evasive moves.

I had a bunch of resources on more A-10 specific stuff I found. Things that describe stuff like the safe escape maneuvers used in attack runs so I'll see if I can dig that stuff up. But the list of stuff you could find on how to fly this plane all by itself is lengthy, so its easy to drown in detail. Basic Flight maneuvers combined with take offs and landings is probably enough to start. Then it should be avionics and weapons systems while also working on navigation and continuing to work on aircraft control.

There's a reason real pilots always rely on mentorship. Its just so damned hard to explain it in writing. I could write a 10 paragraph essay outlining good ways to put a rocket on a target, and this wouldn't mean that I couldn't write 10 more paragraphs on using the gun correctly either.

Oh and about angle of attack: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98683522/AngleOfAttack.pdf, thats a good read for a quick intro to it. The A-10's Angle of Attack indicator is a beautiful thing. :thumbup:

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

I don't know what CDU, TAD, SOI, EGI, HOTAS SWITCH LONG UP or any of the other jargon actually means....

You'll get it, eventually.

CDU - command display unit. Your navigation computer. On the right side of cockpit its the small screen with keyboard. Can also be repeated on right LCD.

TAD -tactical aquisition display. Moving map displaying steerpoints and targets.

SOI - sensor of interest. Currently active sensor for target search and designation. There are three. The HUD, TAD, and Litening targeting pod. You switch between the three as needed, using HOTAS buttons on your joystick. The red border line on either of two LCD screens tells you which is current sensor. If no red borders are visible, then the HUD is SOI.

Switch Long Up/Down means you have to hold down the button for one second or little bit longer.

Wait till you get to Communications. Those really require some training.

I don't know what CDU, TAD, SOI, EGI, HOTAS SWITCH LONG UP or any of the other jargon actually means....

You'll get it, eventually.

CDU - command display unit. Your navigation computer. On the right side of cockpit its the small screen with keyboard. Can also be repeated on right LCD.

TAD -tactical aquisition display. Moving map displaying steerpoints and targets.

SOI - sensor of interest. Currently active sensor for target search and designation. There are three. The HUD, TAD, and Litening targeting pod. You switch between the three as needed, using HOTAS buttons on your joystick. The red border line on either of two LCD screens tells you which is current sensor. If no red borders are visible, then the HUD is SOI.

Switch Long Up/Down means you have to hold down the button for one second or little bit longer.

Wait till you get to Communications. Those really require some training.

Uhm, I wasn't sure if I really ... but I do it anyways:

CDU = Control Display Unit

TAD = Tactical Awareness Display

SOI: there can be four - HUD, TAD, TGP (Targetting Pod) and also MAV (Maverick). The MFD (Multi Function Display) that shows the SOI has a green border.

once you have learned to start the engines then the next step would be learning to taxi the machine from ramp to runway. There are quite many new pilots who drive their airplanes like batmobiles. They sometimes tailgate you and most of the time end up ramming you from side or from behind.

This space is available for your advertisement

AGM as SOI. OK point taken. I tend to look at it as a munition, not a sensor. But yes, you are correct. I find AGM sensor really difficult to use, in this sim. It takes too long to lock and not stable. I use TGP to point it. I prefer GBU-38 JDAM to it. However AGM-65G X2, will sink most small and med size ships in this sim. It is also the longest range weapon in A-10's arsenal.

AGM as SOI. OK point taken. I tend to look at it as a munition, not a sensor. But yes, you are correct. I find AGM sensor really difficult to use, in this sim. It takes too long to lock and not stable. I use TGP to point it. I prefer GBU-38 JDAM to it. However AGM-65G X2, will sink most small and med size ships in this sim. It is also the longest range weapon in A-10's arsenal.

"Misusing" the Maverick just as sensor/FLIR in the A-10A was a popular tactic during Desert Storm.

But yeah, the TGP is far superior for that (but wasn't just available back then).

After I learned start up I did the easy quick mission till I could deploy all the weapons and complete the mission. Obviously accompanied by lots of reading up on stuff so you learn as you go along.

Once weapon deployment was learned I started to do the Smerch hunt mission to learn inputing co-ordinates and marking targets etc.

Then I progressed to MP when I knew I would be able to fly without embarrassment;) and join a TS server and learnt loads more like that

However you learn the next bits enjoy it:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some 80's missions might restrict usage of TGP's. I think this is a fun way as TGP's makes high altitude bombing with precision guided munitions very easy.

To designate a Target you dont need to have a lock on it. I'm not sure if the G has the ability to use the force correlate mode, if it has, it has the longest range in the A10's arsenal.

Some 80's missions might restrict usage of TGP's. I think this is a fun way as TGP's makes high altitude bombing with precision guided munitions very easy.

To designate a Target you dont need to have a lock on it. I'm not sure if the G has the ability to use the force correlate mode, if it has, it has the longest range in the A10's arsenal.

Yepp! G and H (the optical AGM-65 versions) have force correlate. :thumbup:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Not sure if its been said already, but over and above the manual, print everything that can be printed from the Wiki, and subscribe to all the fantastic Youtube threads that are linked.

Thinks of particular use are the hotas chart shoing what does what, and the keyboard overlay showng the hotas repeaters.

I wasnt sure because the K has the CCD sensor, G is IR. All have optical sensors ;-)

Yeah, right! Mixed it up. The H and K are CCD/optical (as in visible light). The D and G are the IR imaging processor ones... :doh:

Basically you tell it to "make a pic of what you currently see and follow it to the center of the crosshairs" don't know if it corrects by contrast or not in force correlate.

Sorry for the confusion!

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

ok, so after more practice I can start up and take off.

I think I should learn all the hotas controls and what DMS, TMS and CMS are.

Well the problem with learning what they are is that it means you have to know what they do, which means you gotta learn the systems. So to learn what most of those do means you gotta learn how to use the systems themselves and how they function, and TMS and DMS are used in every single system pretty much. The only outlier is the CMS which is used exclusively to operate the Counter Measures Systems.

Setting up a good hotas control scheme for your stick, whichever one you use, is going to be a bit of a chore because you want it to be as functional as possible because thats what the real HOTAS does, it minimizes the need to take your hands off of it. Definitely look into using an in-DCS modifier which lets you turn any key or joystick button into a modifier that can allow you to effectively double or triple the number of uses for a button or key.

The A-10 doesn't need that many controls really, most of it can be handled by HOTAS or in game clicks, but my X-52 with a modifier uses nearly all the stick buttons twice, while the throttle only uses one hat twice.

To be honest I really wish that the manual had an overview of what TMS and DMS means. I know that the same concept is used on the F-16, so its not an A-10 exclusive concept. You understand it as you use the various systems, but its not directly explained. They stand for Target Management Switch and Data Management Switch. They're used to navigate various MFCD pages as well as the HUD, along with the Coolie Hat and the Slew Hat. Just a little page on the philosophy of the HOTAS for newbies would be helpful I think.

What I did when I was starting is I took the info on pages 88-89 and 91-92 in the manual and wrote it out on a single piece of paper and referenced it constantly as I learned the systems. Having a handy reference for what TMS Aft Long means or DMS Left Short is going to save you a lot of time, and in fact I don't know how you'd ever learn anything without it.

To learn the systems its best to basically read the section on it top to bottom, understand almost nothing in it, then go into the game, play with the related system, go back and read, go back to the airplane, and so on until you comprehend what it means. Also for most of the systems there's a decently verbose overview from some people on youtube. The TAD gets a pretty good one from Gerry Abbot.

The full list of HOTAS controls necessary to use the full functionality of every system is:

TMS

DMS

CMS

Coolie Switch

Slew Switch

China Hat

Boat Switch

Nosewheel Steering button

Master Mode Control Button

and any OSBs on the MFCDs that have a function that aren't directly accessible from the HOTAS controls. This doesn't include managing system settings via the UFC and CDU which have no direct HOTAS controls.

Oh and work on them landings. Once you crack those the hardest part is done... except for AAR.

Edited by P*Funk
  • Like 1

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

• 2 weeks later...
What to learn after start up? ... Shut down? :D
I would learn how to eject. :D Joking of course...

I'm not the thread founder, but have learned lots of things from all you guys; especially from P*Funk! Thanks man.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

For those who are still learning the

Hotas commands I recommend downloading and printing a quick reference chart. There are a few available in the user files section such as this one:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/340527/

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

What's wrong with CCRP?? :P

Nothing! It can reduce your time in the enemies engagement zone or even keep you out of it. With non-guided weapons it is quite challenging to hit a target especially in weather...

I guess some people miss the challenge and adrenalin of a CCIP run, so the "lamer" comment is meant like "I got huuuge balls!" :D

Since it's a SIM I agree that good practice with CCIP is much more fun and challenging, but IRL you would do what's best to accomplish the mission, save your ass, and get home the quite expensive plane.:music_whistling:

Shagrat

I guess some people miss the challenge and adrenalin of a CCIP run, so the "lamer" comment is meant like "I got huuuge balls!" :D

Those Huge one's help keep the feet pointing down while riding the parachute down after ejecting :D

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down