Finding remaining enemies in FC3 Instant Action mission

ozTRipwiRE

Hi,

I have been trying to finish the Instant Action Mission for Flaming Cliffs 3 in the Mig29S, ‘Combat Air Patrol’ and have a question regarding mission structure. I flew in the direction that I was in at mission start and flew towards the top of the map. I soon engaged some enemies with my flight and shot some down. I noticed the red bullseye (near Krasnodar-Center) further towards the top of the map and flew towards it expecting to find the remaining enemy aircraft. I landed at the friendly airport of Gudauta to refuel and rearm which I did there. I took off and flew towards the red bullseye again. I got there and flew around the area covering as much ground as I could before running out of fuel and having to finish the mission unsuccessfully. I thought that flying towards the red bullseye would lead me to the remaining enemies but it did not. If anyone could please explain the structure of this mission to me so I can better understand how to find the remaining enemies when 4/8 are already shot down I really would appreciate it.

ozTRipwiRE

Bullseye as a 'reference point'?

Hi joey45,

Thanks very much for your help. You said that the red bullseye is a 'reference point'. I am afraid that I am a relative beginner with playing flight sims and don’t know exactly what you mean by a ‘reference point’ and how that translates into playing the FC3 sim. Could you please tell me what you mean by a ‘reference point’? If you don’t mind could you also please tell me if that has anything to do with locating enemy aircraft in the mission that I have asked about (and others too of course)?

Thanks very much,

ozTRipwiRE

Since joey45 is offline I hope he won't mind me answering you. Here's a link to a good explanation of what a 'bullseye' is. In short, it's an arbitrary place from which things (like enemy reports) get measured, so that the enemy can't work out where your are by listening into radio transmissions.

So instead of saying you, or an enemy you've spotted are 3 miles north of a certain town, all the friendlies are given a secret bullseye location and reference things from that.

The bullseye on the map won't necessarily have anything to do with your mission objectives, and probably won't guide you to bad guys.

http://falcon4.wikidot.com/concepts:bullseye

Hope this helps

smith

• Like 1

I also had problems finding the remaining aircrafts, so I took a look at mission triggers. After editing them, I managed to get them in mission. I thought it was something related to my install, because I never saw anyone having the same problem until today. Is there maybe an easier solution for this issue? Thank you very much.

• Like 1

Finding enemy aircraft in FC3 missions

Hi,

Thanks guys for your input, it was very helpful. Adder76 said something about mission triggers. What are they and what do they do, and how do I enable them? Could they help me find enemy aircraft in FC3 Instant Action and Campaign missions?

Thanks very much,

ozTRipwiRE :)

When creating or opening a mission with the mission editor, you can see a lot of icons in the bar located at the left side of screen. One of this, which looks like the symbol used to represent a switch in electronics schematics, is the one which sets the mission triggers. A trigger is somekind of event activator. For example, shooting down one plane group activates another one, already present in mission. What I did was compare Mig-29 instant action mission with Su-27 instant action one, and edited its triggers to make Hornet group appear after shooting down L-39 group and also make Mirage 2000 group appear after shooting down Hornet group. I think is somekind of bug related with this mission, don't know for sure, but they are saying they will correct some FC3 missions in 1.2.6. Maybe they will also fix that, but it looks like no one else is having this problem. I tried to do my best to explain what triggers are and how they work, but perhaps I missed a lot of useful information. Maybe you should take a look at DCS User Manual, page 59. There you can find a lot of information about mission editor. Triggers are better explained in page 80. And sorry for answering so late. I've been away from home during the last few days.