Ouch… It hurts!!!

drsgfire

Hey guys. I thought I would post a little something about some pain I have been experiencing for the past month. I started having some pain in the base of my thumb about a month ago. I didn't really think to much about it at the time. Thought I may have just hit it on something of pulled it a little some where. About 4 or five days later I started to have a dull pain in my fingers. When ever I would wake up in the morning my hand would feel fine but after about 30 min to an hour my thumb and fingers would have an achy feeling. Normally the fingers would be fine to handle object ls but putting excessive pressure on my thumb would really hurt. After pressure was relieved it was ok.

My normal flying routine is usually at night between 10:30pm and 1:00am. Usually fixed wing (A-10 and F-15) but I think about a month ago I was playing a lot of Huey missions and that generally causes added tension on my hand when I fly.

This past week I have been doing a lot more dogfighting and there is added fine tuned flying like in the Huey. The weird thing is that when I'm flying… my fingers don't hurt.

Now last night I downloaded this new game on steam called war thunder and it is literally straight into the action… non stop. So I did like an hour of straight up dogfighting. I woke up this morning and the left side side of my wrist is really tight and achy. This is now a first.

So… for starters I'm taking a week off from flying and probably going to wrap my hand in a bandage for most of it. Or as much as I can bare.

So with all that information I just dumped on you… has anyone had any experience with these symptoms or similar?

Thanks

• ED Team

The only pain I get is the wife trying to talk to me while I have my headphones on, she is quite persistent.

I have this pain every 45 mins or so, or when she demands cups of tea :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Sorry I can't help you but I had a similar shoulder pain before I got a table pad for my elbow.

On the funny side though, you know how older generation people have pains more related to the hard labor in very physical jobs? Well then came the computer mice and related wrist problems, now the touchscreens are creating finger problems! Some TV person in Finland commented that our nation will not survive the evolution due the physical problems caused by the ever developing technology. :D

Edited by Griffin

I've had the odd pain when I fly to much but nothing like the severity you mentioned.

The numbness aside, the pain your feeling is most likely due to using areas of muscle in your hands and wrist that you don't normally use in day to day life (unless your a fighter pilot). This is normal however you should see a gradual reduction in the pain as you continue to use these muscles and they get stronger.

The symptoms you described sound a 'little' more severe than this, I wouldn't panic though.

You are probably suffering the early stages of RSI which is very common in people who spend a lot of time at computers, gaming or not.

It would definitely be worth speaking to your doctor about, the numbness in your hands sounds like it could be circulation related as most numbness is 'generally' associated with poor circulation.

Again though, don't worry about it, just make an appointment with the doctor and see what's what. In the meantime try to give as much support to your wrists as possible when using a computer and have them resting on something while your using the controls!

If the pain gets really bad try the RICE technique (google it), might be a bit difficult to apply pressure to the hand unless you have some small gloves but the ice should certainly help.

Good luck!

Mav

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

;1842030']I've had the odd pain when I fly to much but nothing like the severity you mentioned.

The numbness aside, the pain your feeling is most likely due to using areas of muscle in your hands and wrist that you don't normally use in day to day life (unless your a fighter pilot). This is normal however you should see a gradual reduction in the pain as you continue to use these muscles and they get stronger.

The symptoms you described sound a 'little' more severe than this, I wouldn't panic though.

You are probably suffering the early stages of RSI which is very common in people who spend a lot of time at computers, gaming or not.

It would definitely be worth speaking to your doctor about, the numbness in your hands sounds like it could be circulation related as most numbness is 'generally' associated with poor circulation.

Again though, don't worry about it, just make an appointment with the doctor and see what's what. In the meantime try to give as much support to your wrists as possible when using a computer and have them resting on something while your using the controls!

If the pain gets really bad try the RICE technique (google it), might be a bit difficult to apply pressure to the hand unless you have some small gloves but the ice should certainly help.

Good luck!

Mav

Thanks everyone. Yea my day job is IT and lots of miscellaneous work around our office. I use a screwdriver quite frequently as well. It's been painful to use hand tools this past week. I'll be making a stop by the doc this week then.

Hey, you're not the only one. I fly the A-10C, and own the TM:W.

When I had a month off, I put that to good use and flew plenty - long and often.

After a week I felt uncomfortable, after two my wrist hurt and my hands were partially "stinging" from numbness, and after three I actually had to see a doctor. Worst of all, I had to pause flying for six weeks :/

It turned out my throttle was positioned badly that subsequently caused serious strain and muscle issues. Since I wasn't flying as intensively before, I didn't notice this earlier.

As said already, a doctor can help you a) make sure there's nothing more serious and that symptoms will fade again and b) that this is indeed the cause. I suggest you take a break that's longer than just until the symptoms are gone to truly relive your hands, btw.

Get well soon!

Super.

Think about your setup:

-angled-off hands

-arms extended in front of you

-streched fingers

-repetetive movements

-etc

Better yet, have the arms form a 90 deg angle and have them hang, not held in place.

As is ideal for a keyboard. Tendons that are moved and being pressed on are not good, either. Shoulders, however, hang naturally.

Not good is to have the arms considerably in front of you, especially extended to a desk that is higher.

consult your doctor ASAP. Good luck!

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Hey, you're not the only one. I fly the A-10C, and own the TM:W.

When I had a month off, I put that to good use and flew plenty - long and often.

After a week I felt uncomfortable, after two my wrist hurt and my hands were partially "stinging" from numbness, and after three I actually had to see a doctor. Worst of all, I had to pause flying for six weeks :/

It turned out my throttle was positioned badly that subsequently caused serious strain and muscle issues. Since I wasn't flying as intensively before, I didn't notice this earlier.

As said already, a doctor can help you a) make sure there's nothing more serious and that symptoms will fade again and b) that this is indeed the cause. I suggest you take a break that's longer than just until the symptoms are gone to truly relive your hands, btw.

Get well soon!

Super.

Think about your setup:

-angled-off hands

-arms extended in front of you

-streched fingers

-repetetive movements

-etc

Agh… I was afraid someone would say to go longer than a week without flying. I just started reading Shaws combat tactics book and have been putting words into motion. Thanks for the info. Hopefully it's nothing long term.

You may also re consider to get a stick with low return to center tension.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update on my flight injury. My wrist is doing much better now. Probably been a month ago when it got fully better. Still trying to fine tune my stick feedback sensitivity to release some of the tension on the wrist.

I had my old stick mounted down in between my legs and was able to rest the weight of my arm on my lap. Ever since getting that G940 I didn't bother with mounting it low because the base was so large and I couldn't close my legs enough to use my pedals; but then I saw that people were getting a few extra inches of stick length by sliding the stick up the shaft to the second notch. So I'm going to try mounting it so I can fully enjoy flying again. Thanks again for the tips.

I just can say i'm playing on my computer since 20 years now, i used almost every mac mouse models since 1990 to 2007, and i can tell you one thing :

A crappy simple logitech mouse + Eve Online litteraly screwed my wrist in less than a year.

fortunately i'm not having this trouble with BlackShark and my X52, which is very confortable, but this pain will never leave know, in every mouse intensive game.

i'm so happy !

so, take it easy, it's important.

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

Hi dsrg,

I'd bet money it's RSI/carpal tunnel.

I had the exact same problem.

Buy the vertical mouse 4 at http://www.evoluent.com/

I swear by it. Fixed me proper. Also examine your keyboard and posture. Any forced/off angle joint alignment will eventually take its toll on desk jockeys.

Thk me later

i7@3.5Ghz, ATI 5870, 16GB RAM, win7 64bit, TH2GO, Track-IR, 4screen pit, TM WArthog HOTAS

Hi dsrg,

I'd bet money it's RSI/carpal tunnel.

I had the exact same problem.

Buy the vertical mouse 4 at http://www.evoluent.com/

I swear by it. Fixed me proper. Also examine your keyboard and posture. Any forced/off angle joint alignment will eventually take its toll on desk jockeys.

Thk me later

Dude. That is the strangest thing I've ever seen. If they have one with at least 7 buttons I might have to give it a go.

I hate the vertical mouse. I had a case of RSI a while back (too much starcraft), solved it through using a steel brace for a month (was like 20 dollars at the chemist), replacing my ambi mouse for one with proper supports, and fixing my posture.

If there is actual pain involved even when not using the computer, definitely consider having it checked by a doctor - permanent nerve damage is a real concern.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester