How does this guy do this?

guitarxe

He's almost constantly pointing his nose down, yet he's able to maintain altitude and most of all, he doesn't seem to increase speed when he does it. How come? He's also able to move sideways without a whole lot of roll. When I try to bank, it takes a long time to start moving sideways, and it also changes the heading of the aircraft. I understand being able to fly like this takes a lot of practice, but I can't understand how to achieve this, when I try it, it's like I'm flying a completely different helicopter.

Practice... proper use of AP channels and correct trim can make the shark a purring kitten.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

No worries if you can't fly and shoot targets like this. Attempting so in any mission will get you shot pretty fast.

As for proper use on the AP. don't use it for this kind of flying as its useless for that.

Instead just make sure that the 3 blue SAS buttons are on.

(heading, pitch and roll i believe there called)

Hold the trimmer while turning, whenever you stop turning release it.

Continuously trim.

As for putting the nose down without gaining speed or losing altitude.

He is, but when he starts his helicopter is moving backwards, kind off.

So puttin the nose down slows him down first and makes him go up.

Also keep in mind that's he's probably flying no faster then 80 km/h orso.

And as said, practice. Use of an rudder axis is essential for this kind of flying.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

There's nothing special going on in that video other than that he's rarely flying directly forwards and that could make it seem strange if you aren't very good at judging velocity vector. Like with every skill it's more about perception of what needs to be done and what you are actually doing than ability to do move your limbs, just like in driving, drawing, boxing, etc.

When you have enough speed the chopper rotor disk behaves in a similar way as aircraft wing, ie. if you fly level and then pull up the nose 30 degrees at 200km/h speed but don't touch the collective you don't start to just slowing down but also climbing fast until you run out of speed. With simple vector analysis you should slow down and start to sink as your rotor disk normal isn't straight up as it used to be but that's not how real choppers work. The same thing is going on in the video, he's flying sideways or backwards while pointing the nose down and getting more hang time than "expected".

Flying slowly, wobly and uncoordinated around targets shooting rockets at them isn't something you should strive for. As for developing general flying skills throwing the Shark around the sky could be useful in the beginning to develop some feel for the aircraft but what you really want to learn is to fly coordinated and smoothly yet being able to make quick transitions like climbs and turns without nose wobbling all around. Some wobble isn't problem as in quick transitions you usually need to let it happen for some degree for the transitions to be as fast as possible but you also need to be able to turn the chopper quickly with precision without wasting time trying to stop the oscillations while getting the pipper on target. In order to fly smoothly you need to be able to anticipate how the helicopter behaves as trying to react to what you see happening currently means you can only make slow and deliberate turns smoothly.

In case you don't happen to know, you fly coordinated when your nose points to the direction where you are going. Coordinated flying minimizes drag and also makes the Shark easier to control and to feel what it's going to do.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

Only thing special about this video is that his aim is even worse than mine, a feat i had previously thought impossible. He's flying with a fair amount of skill, but looks like he thinks he's flying in a new DieHard movie, bouncing all over the place within spitting range of the target.

Good practice for control, but bad idea for combat.

In that Video you have obviously a Kid who enjoys playing Black Shark, and doing some kind a "nasty" flying and shooting...and here you have a Forum of Die hard DCS Pilots who are mostly just bashing on that Kid...he can not fly..his tactics are shit..in Combat he would be shoot down immediatly...God ...just don`t take that Game that seriously...:huh:

My Specs:

I don`t care..it is a Computer..a black one..

LoL, turkey shoot. He has the AI turned off or something. None of the APC's / tanks are shooting back. Normally, he would have been shot down in the first few seconds. If you want to fly something like that, learn how to do moves like the "funnel". Move in fast, drift sideways, and then start a tight spiral like move around the tank, shooting as you go and keeping him from getting his gun pointed at you. You should be able to quickly put a rocket or two into him, then move on. Another tactic I like to do is to pop up above the tank, push my nose down hard, and it gives me about 1 second to fire a rocket down through the top armor. But that's all really somewhat desperate and suicidal maneuvering. Getting close to armor like that is not good. Close in is more for jeeps and trucks. And of course, even innocent looking trucks and jeeps might be carrying Igla's or RPGs.

It's a constant play between cyclic, collective and rudder - but he's not flying as perfectly as you believe him to. He's gaining plenty of speed when he points the nose down.

He's almost constantly pointing his nose down, yet he's able to maintain altitude and most of all, he doesn't seem to increase speed when he does it. How come? He's also able to move sideways without a whole lot of roll. When I try to bank, it takes a long time to start moving sideways, and it also changes the heading of the aircraft. I understand being able to fly like this takes a lot of practice, but I can't understand how to achieve this, when I try it, it's like I'm flying a completely different helicopter.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

yea its not normal to fly like that, usually things shoot back at u, not giving u time to do any of that weaving in-fighter boxing type stuff...

but to point ur nose down like that all u gotta do is go backwards a bit... and point ur nose down just long enough to aim and shoot before u start going forwards again... rinse and repeat...

or use lots of left or right stick with ur nose pointed down, u'll pivot around ur nose..

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is the true skill in Ka-50

- funnells, side slips, flying backwards, chandells, loops, reverse loops, rolls , etc etc - all done with great control and precision.

More from the same Shark pilot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFGjSqQzDXs,

Prop up your jaw so it doesnt hit the floor :D

That guy can fly! :huh: :thumbup:

My DCS stream

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Past broadcasts, Highlights

Currently too much to do... But watch and (maybe) learn something :)

Holy cow, how come I've never seen any of that until today? Man, that's awesome! :thumbup:

Clearly 5 out of 5 on the

. Possibly even 6 out of 5. :D

In my case, how come I have never seen the Frazer movie? :D It's awesome too- particularly the in cockpit view of all manuevers:thumbup:

The first video, in the comments "Just a video of me messing around in the shooting range mostly with guns and rockets".

There seem to be a lot of people hating on him just because he posted a video of himself messing around...

This is the true skill in Ka-50

- funnells, side slips, flying backwards, chandells, loops, reverse loops, rolls , etc etc - all done with great control and precision.

More from the same Shark pilot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFGjSqQzDXs,

Prop up your jaw so it doesnt hit the floor :D

would love to see him dancing with a very angry fully loaded Osa :P

This space is available for your advertisement

The first video, in the comments "Just a video of me messing around in the shooting range mostly with guns and rockets".

There seem to be a lot of people hating on him just because he posted a video of himself messing around...

I don't think people are hating him, just pointing out that he's messing around.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

Wellll ... when I was a lad, that would be considered showing off.

I know a number of people who are equally if not more capable they just don't post videos of themselves.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

I don't see anything special about the maneuvers in that video. In fact, some of it is pretty rough. As you acquire experience it will all seem very natural.

To initiate a pure sideways motion roll a bit and offset the natural tendency for the helicopter to begin turning in that direction by applying some rudder in the opposite direction. Somewhat counter-intuitively (from a fixed wing pilot's perspective) increasing collective is part of how you can quickly slow down. Raise the nose while reducing collective (to stabilize altitude) then, as the helicopter assumes the new nose high attitude and just begins sinking, gradually increase collective. The rotor will now be applying thrust in reverse to the direction of travel while maintaining altitude. You'll stop in a hurry and can even begun backwards flight.

I7-2600K@4322 MHz / Asus P8Z77 Deluxe

EVGA GeForce1080 SC Video

Samsung EVO 850 SSD / Dell U2711 monitor@2560X1440

Saitek X55 "Rhino" / Logitech G510

Win 10 Pro 64 bit

• 4 weeks later...