F-15C radar range

Hi, I tried the F-15C a bit yesterday, and noticed, that I have some issues with finding Air targets. I set up a simple scenario, my F-15 + wingman vs. 2 SU-27 about 200 miles away, on a head on course.

Now I kept scanning for the targets, but they didn't appear on my radar. Radar was in RWS mode and set to 160 range, with the elevation from 0 to 35 (I set the SUs to 25000 ft MSL). First thing happened was the 2 SU radars appearing on my RWR. Short time after that my wingman reported, that he has found the two SUs. and much later they appeared on my radar.

Why did they appear so late on my radar? I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think at the moment, I found them, they were already shooting at me..

edit: tried it after that with a Yak, it also appeared on my radar at about 80 - 90 nm

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

Moin Master,

what was your altitude? Depending on the curvature of the earth and your own altitude, the aspect differs a lot. If you fligh low and scan 0 - 35, while your targets ar far, far away and flying high, they probably will be outside your search pattern.

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

Hi, I tried the F-15C a bit yesterday, and noticed, that I have some issues with finding Air targets. I set up a simple scenario, my F-15 + wingman vs. 2 SU-27 about 200 miles away, on a head on course.

Now I kept scanning for the targets, but they didn't appear on my radar. Radar was in RWS mode and set to 160 range, with the elevation from 0 to 35 (I set the SUs to 25000 ft MSL). First thing happened was the 2 SU radars appearing on my RWR. Short time after that my wingman reported, that he has found the two SUs. and much later they appeared on my radar.

Why did they appear so late on my radar? I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think at the moment, I found them, they were already shooting at me..

edit: tried it after that with a Yak, it also appeared on my radar at about 80 - 90 nm

Because the F-15C like all radars have an effective range, depending on the target type. Fighter sized targets will appear between ~35-45nm depending on prf used. Larger aircraft will appear further off.

Setting to 160 merely sets the display to 160nm... not the actual range of the radar. Hope this helps. Also if you had ECM pods on the Su-27 these would display jamming.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

RIPTIDE is correct. You won't see a fighter at 160 nm ever. Radar works on range squared equation. Both the RWR and Radar detect radar signals, but the RWR is passive and can detect outbound signals. The radar is active and needs to use inbound (or return) signals, which means these have traveled twice as far and are weaker.

RWR will almost always outrange radar.

Another thing to consider is PRF. Default is interleaved. There is also High and Med. High is for long range incoming targets. Mid for close range with low or negative closure rates.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

The range at which you will detect a target depends on target RCS (for the same radar). To double the detectable range of an object, you need 16 times the RCS. So if you think of a fighter as having an RCS of 5, and being detectable at 60nm, an aircraft with RCS 80 would be detectable at 120nm.

(Similarly, if you want to halve detection range, you need 1/16th the RCS ... if you think about F-22 RCS, it's detectable range is 1/8th to 1/10th that of a conventional fighter, with its RCS being about 1/16^3! )

Most fighters you'll pick up at 60nm co-altitude (IMHO should be a little further out, but we won't get into that - certainly not over 100nm for now, anyway :) ), and look-down you will see them at shorter range (40-50nm).

If their tail is turned to you, you'll get them at even shorter range than that.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

For the same reason as when we had thought the earth was flat. :D

:thumbup:

As a registered member of the Flat Earth a Society, I find this comment highly offensive. We have known, from time in memorial, that the earth is actually flat.

:lol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS

• 4 weeks later...