AI M1A2s fire HE ammo only?

horus0129

I've found a strange debrief info during playing some M1A2 vs T-80U missions. The Abrams in autopilot fired HE ammunitions only. Of course they loaded AP shells and could fire them manually when I got 1st person vew control. The russian tanks, on the other hand, fired 125mm AP shells. And AT missiles also!

Did I miss something? Or is it a realism feature? Or a bug?

I experienced this in an earlier version of the sim, but with 1.2.5 I'm not seeing that problem with M1's.

Bear in mind that I tend to use Combined arms to just move my forces and select targets, so I don't drive them and aim with each vehicle. At the end of a mission I've noticed the only HE 120mm shots the Abrams take are at softer targets and it seems to model the last ready round. So if the tank fired HE at a BMP and then a T-80 shows up, it will fire the ready HE at it but all the subsequent rounds will then be AP.

AI don't entirely choose which weapons to use in a given situation and any choice is basically "can I use X on Y target". In the case of engaging ground vehicles the AI will use AP rounds until it runs out and then switch to HE. If an AT missile is available it will either use it at range or after HE has been exhausted. Unfortunately it is a case where AP rounds could be re-armed before HE rounds are depleted and the AI will continue to fire HE rounds.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 1 month later...

Which is accurate to real-life tanking. (I used to be one). The command would go something like,

(assuming battle-carry HEAT)

TC: "Gunner, Tanks, Fire, Fire Sabot"

Gunner: "Identified"

Loader: "UP!" (He still has to pull up the arming handle even though there's a round in the breech)

TC: Fire!

Gunner: On the way! *BOOM*Lost!

TC: Target!

Loader: Places Sabot in the tube "Sabot UP!"

TC: Fire!

Gunner: On the way! *BOOM* Target, target.

TC: Cease Fire, Driver, continue to bound...driver...driver...wake the **** up Driver...

Driver: Huh? I'm awake, I'm awake!

TC: ****in' drivers...you *****rds are always sleeping...