Alternating Maverick stations

sbmasonator

Hey folks. So...if I have a load of 6 GBU-12s (or MK82s) on 2 racks, if I drop two, the two will come from both racks. This is cool, as it doesn't unbalance the stores loading. Tick VG.

But...if I fire two mavericks -- even if they are of the exact same model (I like the H models for daytime fighting), they come from one rack before heading across to the other. I *can* even things out in DSMS, but that's a bit challenging when I'm in the middle of...you know...flying the pig and locking up badguys.

Is there a way for me to force the mavs to alternate stations like freefall bombs?

I am sure the reasoning behind it has a lot to do with normal RL loadouts where it would rarely be an issue.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It makes perfect sense when you understand how the Maverick and LAU-88 work and what capability the combination gives you.

The LAU-88 does more than simply allow 2 or 3 Mavericks to be carried on a single station. It also provides a function called quick draw.

Very simply quick draw sends sensor slew commands sent to the station to all loaded missiles simultaneously. This means that while you only see the video from the priority maverick on the launcher, all the missiles on the launcher are on and looking at the same spot.

What does this do for you? Well it simply, as the term quick draw would suggest, allows for rapid ripple fire of missiles upon closely grouped targets by removing the need to slew each individual missile from bore sight to the target area.

As quick draw is a function of the LAU-88 and not the aircraft, if you reject missiles to select another station or deselect and deselect a Mav station the missiles will be boresighted (just as they are when carrying singe missiles on a LAU-117. So the same station is selected until the LAU-88 reports to the aircraft that the last missile is gone and the station is empty.

To further understand why quick draw is like this remember that when LAU-88s are used IRL they are used because maverick will be the primary (and likely only) weapon used on that mission. And furthermore, although use of markpoints and the like is popular almost members of these forums, it is not "how it's done for real". But that's a whole tactics, techniques, and procedures can of worms I won't go in to here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

If you use the two different versions, you can switch them with the DSMS profile and the DMS keys

And that is a bug by the way. If and when it gets fixed all Mav stations will be selected under the same profile, even if different models are loaded.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

The "quick draw" function only works on the LAU-88 station associated with the currently selected weapon, correct? I haven't noticed it working like that in DCS but most of the time I'm fooling with the TGP.

Edited by Nealius

It interests a lot of us but it likes to stay within certain groups and never gets out. Not to mention that there are lots of informational gaps to fill between the DCS manual and any kind of tactical manual and it would be a lot of work to explain everything in detail. I remember that's what happened with the Battle Book thing: lots of good info, but no real explanation of how to read/understand/use the info. Then in the course of discussion of how to do all that some retard started bashing people for trying to do things realistically and pretty much killed it.