Kudos: P-51 Natural Head Movement

Smokin Hole

For the last few years I have bitched and moaned over various issues I have had with DCS. This time I have nothing but praise. At various points over the last year ED has gradually improved the effect of lateral accelerations acting on the pilot's head. It is now just about perfect. In every other sim I have played I have brought this up as a glaring oversight. Players complain about FMs and clickable cockpits yet gladly accept that their heads are locked in front of the gunsight or HUD. When I brought up this inconsistancy with reality, the "other" sim countered that players hated involuntary head movement because of the adverse effects it has on their gunnery. Well...yeah?! Of course it impacts gunnery! Just as it does and did in real life. My real head has bounced off my real canopy a number of times. Now it does in the P-51 as well. It is a superbly done bit of immersion and you guys should be congratulated. Thank You!

(I realize that "Natural Head Movement" is a term from Flanker that was called with Shift-F1. My praise is obviously for a different thing but I didn't know what else to call it. I am sure you all got the point anyway.)

Edited by Smokin Hole
  • Like 1

Oh dear, now we have a professional pilot who says he *likes* the head movement. I am on your side here, though I have to concede to ecodragon that there is no lateral force in a coordinated turn. What's missing in other sims is that even the most ridiculous uncoordinated fish-flop flight does little to shift the pilot's point of view. For the most part I am happy with what DCS has done and I'm glad to hear someone with your experience endorse it.:thumbup:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Oh dear, now we have a professional pilot who says he *likes* the head movement. I am on your side here, though I have to concede to ecodragon that there is no lateral force in a coordinated turn. What's missing in other sims is that even the most ridiculous uncoordinated fish-flop flight does little to shift the pilot's point of view. For the most part I am happy with what DCS has done and I'm glad to hear someone with your experience endorse it.:thumbup:

that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Hi Gav! It's not the "professional" part of me that likes this but the "recrational" part. My professional head is incurring no noticable forces while inside a 180k pound bus with wings. The recreational head is bobing like mad in a little red biplane where coordination is rarely a goal. But even coordinated turns place assymetrical forces on the head and torso because both are several feet from the center of rotation (CG). Anyway Gav, if this DCS WW2 stuff every bears fruit I look forward to seeing you there. I am sure the meeting will involve you from from the dark blue heights and me in a firey end just like in that "other" sim. S!