Willing to pay for displays to be made!

Hi all,

I am not much for electronics myself but I am still building a simpit.

Is there anyone out there who would like to earn some money and make me the necessary displays for the CDU radio number displays etc????

I can handle all the types of buttons and other warning LEDs it is just the displays that give you data?

There are a few variables that you need to consider, mainly the display type, the size and colour required. For radios you could use seven segment displays, but now there are a few small oled displays available that could work well, the only problem is their size. You may be able to get away with small single line character lcd's for instance. I have used seven segment led's before, and currently checking out small oled panels which are easier to work with as they can be connected straight to a microcontroller without having to use a separate driver as with led's. I can give you some help if you or anybody else wants it.

I have seen lots of different types of things on Youtube, personal I would not mind having a single line Led but would prefer a segmented setup I have not got a clue where to start, or how to achieve it any help you could give would be welcome as I have said I am willing to pay

First of all have a look at some of these products already available, http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/modules-plugplay-boeing-c-22_61.html

maybe they could be modified to suit your needs.

If you already have panels what are the dimensions of the cut outs for the displays, what sort of display will fit, if seven segment leds then how many will fit and how many digits are needed and what colour. It is best to plan all of this and then use a single board (like an arduino) to drive all the displays.

OK had a look at those, not really sure what I am looking for there but something with those sort of displays will do.

I have not started building my pit yet, looking at my options then I will design the panel around what is on off. I understand how to how to make the warning LEDs work but the name of the board to do that escapes me (got it written down somewhere) using a leobodnar board for types of switches.

Seen alot of use of the arduino board.

I like this display http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=82399

but I need the dummies guide to making something like that. Any ideas?

not really, not any further along, still do not know what component I actually need and what software I need to drive them and how to do that. making switches and LEDS flash is totally different to making a display with date sync with the game. need someone to tell me what items I need how to make the software control them within the game. No one has done that. that is why I am prepared for someone to make me on if no one will give me instructions on how to make it.

it is very easy for someone who knows what they are doing just to say or u get this and just stick this in there and do it work. some of us who have little or no understanding of these things need to be walked thought the process step by step. If has in my mind been a comman failing when making these display no one will go through the process of making them in detail and many people I have come across trying to make them have felt the same

That is why I have offered money as know one wants to give any sort of straight guidance display.

Edited by HornetUK

but I need the dummies guide to making something like that. Any ideas?

I don't think there is such thing. While not rocket science it is still not lego , nothing here is just plug and go. You are expected to possess or aquire some knowledge. HMA pointed you towards one of the best threads on the topic that happened here , covers pretty much every step data takes from the sim to the screen. If you notice a lot of experimenting going on in there, guys learn as they go , and solve issues as they encounter in a group effort.

I don't see a way around this.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Hi HornetUK,

With regard to the radio frequencies I believe it can be done, but have unfortunately not gotten around to that part yet. I am not a professional programmer so what I do tends to be a lot of trial and error and lately I have had less time for this.

As you probably know the game can be set for exporting a lot of data. If you are using Helios the export is already running. The exported data looks like that attached picture. Now if grabbing the right information (cockpit arguments) it must be possible to show this. This is basically what Helios is doing. My idea is to start a second export where I only export radio frequencies via UDP over Ethenet. Then I want to use an Arduino setup with a Uno and a W5100 Ethenet shield. The Arduino setup is then set up to read the UDP packages sent from the export and it also need to be programmed to send frequencies to 7-segments. Since more than one 7-segment need to be used then there need to be done some magic to get them all controlled by one Arduino. I found this which might work: http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/MAX72XXHardware

All this is theory as I have not tried. As Anton put is ”While not rocket science it is still not lego , nothing here is just plug and go”.

If you want something more ready made then perhaps Open Cockpit cards are the way as I believe many others have used them with good success. Take a look at Duckling's building thread as I am pretty sure he is using them and have the radio frequencies up and running.

Alternatively you probably can buy plug and play solution if you can afford it: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=104011&page=27

I know that I cannot use this amount of money so I will make stuff myself and have to do trial and erros.

Althoug not a ready made solution I hope that this gave you some idea of how it could be done. I do intend to try the Arduino solution at some point but when that is going to be I do not know.

All the best

Hans

hi Sir,

No I have no intentions of paying the money on offer for a plug and play system it is just far to much. I guess I will have to wait for someone to give me a hand with the radio, I am not spending any money on boards which I have no idea what to do with them, it is a waste.

However when I get to building that other display I may give you a email if I get stuck if that is ok?

P.S there is one other thing you could help me with on rotary style switches. On the link below you have a number of rotating switches what type are the, I think the large one are mechanical rotary switches what are the others?

http://forums.eagle.ru/album.php?albumid=705&pictureid=4889

Edited by HornetUK

Hi,

Well I also find the panel offering too high for my liking.

Of cause you can drop me a PM when you get to building process. Otherwise just make a thread again and you will notice how many come to the recue :thumbup:

You are right. The larger black/white ones are simple rotary switch. The smaller ones are rotary encrementing encoders or simply encoder. It does not give the exact but gives a indication of which direction it has been rotated in. In below post I am trying to explain what it can and cannot:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1559063&postcount=18

The type I have been using can be bough at Leo Bodnar, http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75&products_id=191. They also have some great card which can handle/interpret the encoders.

Another supplier is Mouser: http://dk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CTS/288T232R161A2/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduj51OeMAenU9ay7XGQQpckRGQ%252bT%2fwhQ2%2fIc7GkbfyAbhw%3d%3d

Cheers

Hans

so would I be correct in saying you are working on a radio panel there and they are for the tuning of the radio? and also what you are saying is that one way can be used to turn the number in a upward way and Turning it the other will make the number descend? Have I got that right?

Hi

Yes you have got it right. It is an older setup which eventually I need to re-do as I am not too satisfied with it. As you can see on attached picture the pre-set rotary knob is not made and I do not have any frequency indications as I haven't solved that one yet.

It is working however. The rotary encoders are very easy. Once set up in the encoder handling software it it merely doing the connection in the game. The came only handles increment and decrement.

I am using the same rotary encoders for adjusting HSI, ADI and altimeter.

Cheers

Hans

IMAG0528.jpg.19aada9bf17130bed6d5a0902973146d.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Unfortunately I got those at a local danish supplier: http://elektronik-lavpris.dk/p87014/DKN1301SW_Knob_13,56_with_Line_BlackBlack/

It was the cheapest I could get. Looking in hindsight I should have found them on Ebay instead. :music_whistling:

Maybe these can be used instead: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-13mm-Top-Dia-6mm-Shaft-Potentiometer-Volume-Control-Knobs-5-Pcs-/360524318794?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item53f0ec884a

Cheers

Hans

p.s. I forgot to mention that Danish ones are already replaced by some milspec ones I bought from Deadman. They were actually almost the same price as the cheap ones but the quality is unbeatable. Have two set screws for attachment and have a nice feel. A little too big for the radios as they are actually not the correct ones but what the heck :-D

Edited by Hansolo
Additional info