visible range killing my preformance

Bandit.

ok so i have been having some performance issues since i switched to windows 8.

my rig consists of:

cpu 4770k

gpu: nvidia gtx titan

ram: 16gb corsair dominator pc1866

ive got 1 display at 280x1440, 2 at 1920x1080 and 1 at 1280x768.

i have triple checked all my drivers, etc.

I started messing with my dcs game settings and discovered that visible range was cause my problems. on high i will barely go over 10fps and on medium i get steady 40fps. also, i see some glitching. for example my tad will display text blacked out ( similar to blacked out text in redacted documents) i see the same in the ingame option menu ( resume, briefing, quit menu.). not only is it an odd behavior but it didn't happen before.

the rest of my settings are at the default high settings.

Edited by Bandit.

I have a GTX-780 and there is alot which can be tweaked, but a couple of things i find the easiest to change without loosing much eyecandy is:

- Keep mirrors off when not needed (8-10 fps up for me in some viewangles)

- change LodMult in graphics.lua to 0.3 in high section

Also look up on the threads for other custom graphics.lua settings. Regarding the other probs you have i dont know, sorry.

-

Edited by xracer

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If SoftTH works on windows 8 you might want to give that a shot.

Mirrors are a killer, I've saved 10 fps not using mirrors with all high settings and a few tweaks.

If you can get SoftTH going, give a shout and I'll help you out to get your settings running the best I can.

Current Flight Rig

i7 4960X @ 4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

G.SKILL TridentX 2400Mhz 32GB DDR3

Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD

MSI Gaming X 1080Ti

Samsung 55" JS8000 SUHD 4K

Windows 10 x64

TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Custom Akers-Barnes, MkI eyeball.

now im also getting this

6e11.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Make sure your DCS isnt mistakenly using the Intel HD Graphics.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Make sure your DCS isnt mistakenly using the Intel HD Graphics.

how can i do that?

that could be the prob. i did notice in some instances that the gpu load would drop. not always but it did happen so it could be related.

look for nVidia Optimus technology in the control panel for graphics.

I think it's under Manage 3d Settings, Goto the DCS Profile if it is already there, and make sure it says "HIGH Performance nVidia Processor" under 2. "Select the Preferred Graphics Processor for this Program"

The Intel HD GPU is Meh, it can render the terrain and some other things without issues, but it always causes backface culling, invisible parts etc.

Usually Cockpits render fine, but I think since your spreading it across multiple displays/viewports the Intel HD Cant even render the Pit.

Older Examples (Of IntelHD GPU Rendering)(These are the SB GPUs, not the Haswell GPUs though):

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1749290&highlight=nVidia+Optimus#post1749290

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1676456&highlight=nVidia+Optimus#post1676456

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1665645&highlight=nVidia+Optimus#post1665645

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=99957&highlight=nVidia+Optimus&page=2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ok im not sure if im in right control panel. im on the nvidia control panel, manage 3d settings, dcs settings. however, i dont see that iption anywere. i tried seraching for nvidia optimus technology in control panel but i dont see it anywere. not sure if if you mean the regular nvidia control panel or something else entirely.

btw thanks for the help

last time I had used nVidia it looked like this:

optimus_profile.jpg

i cant find the settings in skatezillas suggestion, however, i continued testing with that graphics lua mod.

it initally gave me a boost. however, once i get near targets it drops again to 10-9 and stays there. so something in game has got to be triggering this behaviour. i ran same scenaria using cntrl+pause x2 to view the different parameter. i did notice something that im not sure is normal. but under ram it is constantly displaying 0. on memory it varies it is usually 0-1mb and sometimes jumps to 4mb. both seem kind low to me but i dont know how it is supposed to be.

wow! just tried the edit on the grafics.lua and it worked!. im getting around 35 fps. do you guys have any idea on how that mod would need to look like on thew autoexec file?

Good that you tried it. Thing with it is that apart from quickly done it eases up the processing of the whole map without user seeing much difference. There are other tricks too not mentioned in the tweak threads, but more involved, i've posted them, but not many responses back about if they tried them.

once i get near targets it drops again to 10-9 and stays there. so something in game has got to be triggering this behaviour.

If the targets you talk about are planes, that is where where my suggestion here comes in.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1831180#post1831180

It's involved, but thats where you have to start to get general fps up when multiple units close around. At least what i tested in earlier versions. It looks for sure like they have done major changes to the effects system lately though.

If not planes, then what happens exactly when you loose alot of fps?

Regarding your settings in NV panel, have you done changes there since install of drivers? If not hopefully you shouldn't get problems with the system choosing the Intel HD. That also have to do with settings in some BIOS'es. Also isnt 35 fps which you had after one of the changes a little to much to expect from the Intel HD? Those mem values you get is odd though

Edited by xracer

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ok so i spoke to nvidia tech support regarding the choosing the gpu vs intel hd. the say i dont have an option because this feature is exclusive to laptops and that on desktops it will always use my gpu.

as for your question xracer. i am doing the testing in the easy east georgy instant action mission. i get the fps increase using the mod you suggested at the very begging. as soon as i close in on the trucks at waypoint 1 my fps drop and stay there even if i move out of the area.

i tried something differnt and had funny results. i used kuky's very high visible range mod and i actually notices a performance increase to around 15 fps. i know that would be unacceptable performance but the fact that it performnce better with higher settings kind of reveals that there is a problem indeed.

i have messed around with my nv panel setting and none of them seem to affect this issue.

I dont use Win8 so its difficult, but dont know if you agree on this one. There are 2 main senarios first.

1. You first have to be absolutely sure your Win8 dont run any "new" rescource hogging apps/services compared to you old Win7 setup. Check everything you can about that. What about new Aero themes etc. Also any changes in apps you yourself run now which you didn't in Win7. Also sometimes older drivers are faster than new ones. To be short you have to make sure Win8 is as efficient as possible for DCS.

2. Regarding DCS itself i did try a 3 screen setup on my system for like 1/2 hour, then put it away. Simply cause of the problem with the horizon didn't stay horisontal accross all screens when i adjust my view in cockpit up and down. A guy told me it was a bug which happen sometimes, but i got it all the time seemed like so i called it a day. It looked plain stupid and also i got worse performance. Maybe cause of only 3 GB mem.

Now to your slowdowns approaching target area. I think you have to first set up a mission/track with the problem so you can replicate it more or less the same every time.

Then some of the elements in the scene:

1. Initial explosions

2. Fire

3. Smoke

4. Level of detail on objects and units

5. The shear number of objects and units

6. Level of detail of the terrain

Point 1 - Difficult to do anything about

Point 2-3 - There are solutions several places in the forums

Point 4-5 - See below

Point 6 - I think thats what the LOD change did.

If you know your target area and what it includes you can try and find out if it is a particular object which is the problem by renaming the EDM files for those objects in the following directory:

\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\World\Shapes

Taking one by one in your target area unilt you find the ones which have most impact.

When you find the problem object or unit then you have to start messing with the shaders and other effects related to them and work on that.

If target area is with a town in viewport then that adds to the problem. There are EDM's for them too as you may know.

As of the fps not getting better when leaving the area i guess they wont until your getting a certain distance away. If they still dont maybe you should look closely at the detailed fps info values and see whats going on there from entering untl leaving the area. Like mem usage on card, objects count etc.

Don't have any other suggestions for the moment so just try and fiddle with it. Even try a Win7 driver in Win8 if it gets accepted as a last resort. Maybe not the smartest thing to do though...

Am happy with a 1 screen setup in DCS, then i use 3 screens for games which can handle it.

Good luck!

Edited by xracer

System spec:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ok so i am now trying different things. i disabled intel hd graphics via bios but it didnt do anything.

so i made a new install of windows 7 on my secondary drive and well guess what im getting 25-30 fps with the same exact settings.