WWII Flying - From the Source

Merlin-27

While traveling I came up for an idea for a thread that I think would be useful and would be a nice addition to the Second World War immersion factor.

I was reading my copy of The Flying Greek and found that some parts are much more relevant and understandable after putting in some good time flying & fighting in the DCS P-51. Some of the maneuvers and tactics really hit home now and I sat there thinking.. I really can relate on some small level. What a great testament to the sim!

So, I thought, why not have a thread where you can capture passages that really stand out in books we've read about WWII. Things that relate to flying here that might help or enlighten other pilots.

My first example:

The Flying Greek

Steve Pisanos

"When you are chasing an enemy aircraft in the sky and trying to get in a position behind your foe for a quick kill you are in an entirely different world, especially when the enemy pilot is aware that you are locked on his tail. Out of desperation, the guy up front will try violent maneuvers to shake you off his tail, especially if he's an experienced air warrior. Normally, that won't work because you have the advantage. You're glued onto his tail and ready to blast him out of the sky, and you are as determined to bring him down as he is to shake you off his tail."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

Quite a splendid idea, merlin. This is from I was a P-51 fighter pilot in WWII, and it describes communication failure and how they managed to attract eachothers attention. I suggest we adopt this, specially for multiplayer -

Installation of airplane radios was a slow process. Some worked, most failed.

Inter-plane radio talk was so unreliable that pilots used visual signals. To attract

30—Tiger’s Fighter Tactics 121

another pilot’s attention, they waggled their wings. In an emergency, they flew up

close and fired machine-guns straight ahead.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.