Mud movers have a tough life

so yesterday I was flying online and happy hunting the enemy ground troops in my Su-25T while watching out for funny looking white trails towards me from ground. Suddenly I was pinned by an enemy radar, and my RWR went all crazy. Long story short I though one missile was on my direction which I was able to dodge successfully but what I didn't know is that the second missile was also coming towards my direction which got me.

After mission was over, it seems that the other dude fired 3 missiles at me. Now what kind of petaQ would fire three missiles at a virtually defenseless Su-25T? :huh:

This makes me believe that we mud movers have a tough life. We have to look out for MANPADS, AAA, fighter jocks, long range SAMs, AI helis with awesome skills..Heck, even the infantry tries to shoot us down :D

Whereas fighter jocks just need to worry about long range SAMs and other fighter jocks throwing rotten tomatoes at each other from BVR. :P

By the way, is there any server where fighters really protect their mod movign buddies, and players play in a coordinated way?

Edited by muamshai

This space is available for your advertisement

Now what kind of petaQ would fire three missiles at a virtually defenseless Su-25T? :huh:

the same type that takes a fighter and starts hunting helicopters?

• Like 1

By the way, is there any server where fighters really protect their mod moving buddies, and players play in a coordinated way?

That's the way we try to organize things in the 159th.

In our relatively new public missions you will also see that the plane slots are unbalanced.

This is to make sure that the Redfor pilots will actually try to protect the ground pounders from the limited Blufor fighters.

Doesn't mean it happens that way though.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

That's the way we try to organize things in the 159th.

In our relatively new public missions you will also see that the plane slots are unbalanced.

This is to make sure that the Redfor pilots will actually try to protect the ground pounders from the limited Blufor fighters.

Doesn't mean it happens that way though.

Thx. I'll show up in your server during weekend when real life is on a calmer side :)

This space is available for your advertisement

....Now what kind of petaQ would fire three missiles at a virtually defenseless Su-25T? :huh:

Defenceless? Not quite :D

Look at it this way.......My motto is to ALWAYS carry 2x73's and maybe 60's as well. ECM pods are next to useless at present. If you're tagged by a fighter, don't run. Put him on your 3/9 line and wait for the launch. Once launched, dive and spoof the missiles, relatively easy to do with terrain masking and altitude.

Now, depending on the 'I-talk-with-my-hands' aaahh sorry, I meant Fighter Jock, once you spoofed his missile he's probably spluttering in his cockpit thinking OMGWTFHOWISTOADIESTILLALIVEOMGWTF and suffering a pride-demeaning anxiety attack, not necessarily in that order. At this stage you should know three things:

1 - Where he is approximately

and

2 - How far away he is

and

3 - His closure rate

Now as a direct result of the fast-jet's self-esteem issues at getting bested by a Toad you can bet dollars to doughnuts that he is seeing red, throwing caution out of the window and is hunting you down like a hound-dog, salivating over his HUD.

Wait for the next missile volley and pray for good fortune! When it happens, you should see it and hopefully get a visual. All this time you should also have been closing in on the Bandit to get your 73's within range.

Spoof the missiles to the best of your ability, again with countermeasures, terrain masking where relevant and altitude. IF you are successful then revel in the delight that

1 - The fast-jet jock has no doubt just had an accident that will require a new flight-suit, brought upon by yet another Toad-thwart

and

2 - You are about to feed him a 73, followed by a 60, or, depending on your mood, another 73 and for dessert, 2 60's.

Once the bugger has been suitably humbled, drop the remainder of your ordnance and run like the clappers back to base as you can be certain that he has just respawned and is running at you again with his a$$ on fire bent on revenge.

Now this works sometimes, sometimes not, depending on the calibre of your foe as mentioned. That is however neither here nor there as trust me when I say that there is no better feeling than handing a Fast-Jet jock his a$$ on a platter whilst driving a Toad. It may not happen often but when it does more than makes up for the times when it does not.

Or you can just do what another 159th squaddie did: Hunt him down like a Dawg and End him with your 30mm :D

VdHrGxKYiy8

Edited by 159th_Viper
  • Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

By the way, is there any server where fighters really protect their mod movign buddies, and players play in a coordinated way?

Very few open servers I have found where the fighter jocks realize that the scenario is actually won by the mud movers ..... their all off all over the place fanning their fannys and tripping on ego to care about us !!!

the same type that takes a fighter and starts hunting helicopters?

No , what you fail to understand is this :

Most of the scenarios are won by taking out ground objects or military vehicules . I don't see the KA-50 pilots stopping destroying these targets , do you ..... answer to that is no ..... but they whinge & bitch a whole lot when their shot at by a fighter .

Tough titty I say , If you don't like being shot at , join a training server , and stop bitching at being shot at when you continue taking out opposition forces !!!

Shooting down an Eagle while you fly the frog, is an exceptional experience. I can tell you, when you manage to do something like that, then you are sooooooo satisfied from your sim life... that you just ctrl+eee and stay where you fall for the rest of the game, having cold beer...And ofcurse next day at work, you make sure that everybody knows what you have done last night :thumbup:

Needless to say... the Eagle that you shoot down.. if he is really an honoured man... he will be forced not to come after you like mad, bad just push the disconnect button :megalol::pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

I wonder how much of this could be improved by creative mission design . . .

What I'm thinking is to utilize the resource manager to make the better missiles limited in quantity, this would make fighter pilots be a little more conservative with their higher value missiles. This of course could be applied to the mud movers as well--limit quantities of certain missiles and bombs.

Very defined goals based on ground unit movement or certain target destruction could help force some teamwork. This could also apply to fighters as well--throw in some juicy AI targets that the fighters are tasked to hunt...transports that might carry more high-value missiles perhaps?

These ideas of course would require a very talented mission builder with lots of time. And a server to host it on!

Very few open servers I have found where the fighter jocks realize that the scenario is actually won by the mud movers ..... their all off all over the place fanning their fannys and tripping on ego to care about us !!!

No , what you fail to understand is this :

Most of the scenarios are won by taking out ground objects or military vehicules . I don't see the KA-50 pilots stopping destroying these targets , do you ..... answer to that is no ..... but they whinge & bitch a whole lot when their shot at by a fighter .

Tough titty I say , If you don't like being shot at , join a training server , and stop bitching at being shot at when you continue taking out opposition forces !!!

This is the problem. People don't want to treat it like war. I stopped going after ground attack aircraft because a lot of the time, they complain on being shot.

The last time I did, I had confused the Su-25 for a low flying MiG. By the time I had realized it, I didn't feel like turning around and just wasting the time and fuel I spent to get to him, so I fired a 120. The pilot then said something like:

"feel proud going after striker with your missiles?"

I don't get it. When I fly the A-10 I expect MiG's to kill me. I wish this mentality was more common. Then you'd have more fighters going after strikers and more reason for friendly fighters to protect strikers (after all, that's where the action would be).

Asymmetric missions would also help greatly.

I wonder how much of this could be improved by creative mission design . . .

What I'm thinking is to utilize the resource manager to make the better missiles limited in quantity, this would make fighter pilots be a little more conservative with their higher value missiles. This of course could be applied to the mud movers as well--limit quantities of certain missiles and bombs.

Very defined goals based on ground unit movement or certain target destruction could help force some teamwork. This could also apply to fighters as well--throw in some juicy AI targets that the fighters are tasked to hunt...transports that might carry more high-value missiles perhaps?

These ideas of course would require a very talented mission builder with lots of time. And a server to host it on!

Different mission planning would be great, but most of the big servers say these kinds of missions aren't popular. I've been meaning to try and design one and see if any server wants to take it, but I've not got around to it yet.

On the resource manager, I don't know if it's a good thing. You can limit weapons, but that wouldn't stop one person from taking all the AIM-120C's every sortie and leaving none for everyone else.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I like the guys on random servers that come in and Fire all their A2A missiles at one target...

they spend more time heading back to base and re-arming than they do in combat.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

So, honest, semi-relevant question from a mostly offline Ka-50-er—how good are the fighter radars at picking out a helicopter down in the trees?

If you keep your speed down you're invisible (less than 150km/h IIRC, or is that 50?). Someone will correct me re speed if necessary.

That said, if you kick up dust you're visible for miles and miles. That, together with Nav lights and Flares are the biggest bulls-eyes and gets you killed very quickly.

Edited by 159th_Viper

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

It's about 140kph if you're 10km or more away, half that inside 70kph, and 'nothing can hide you' if the fighter's anywhere near resembling co-altitude.

That said, it should actually be visible regardless of helicopter motion, but that's not modeled yet.

PS: Any 'microwarping' can raise your speed momentarily for a given client, allowing him to get glimpses of you and know your location, even if it prevents a solid track.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Tell'em 'I'm just stopping you from attacking my ground forces' :D

"feel proud going after striker with your missiles?"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I love picking off Choppers with MAVs... so much fun.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I love picking off Choppers with MAVs... so much fun.

LGBs are funnier :lol:

Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb