Curved Stick Shaft for VRpit Warthog Extension

whartsell

Flying and assembly Impressions and are here

This stick shaft is made of Stainless Steel designed for the VRpit Warthog Extension. The dimensions are based on the actual warthog stick but it is not exact. The curves are smaller radius than the real one but the offset to the rear of the gimbals is the same.

This is just the shaft. You will need to buy the VRpit Warthog Extension to have all the parts

After flying with the VRpit Warthog Extension which is awesome, I was having problems getting the position of the stick setup properly in my pit. The space of the pit diddn't allow allot of freedom to position the stick. I also noticed that getting full forward deflection was a bit of a strain for me as well as the center position being a little forward of what felt natural. Knowing that the real Hog has a curve in the stick (as most aircraft do) I contacted Flim about the dimensions and set off to find a solution. Fortunately there is a bending company nearby that specializes in small custom jobs. The result is my stainless steel curved stick shaft from the VRpit Warthog Extension.

The curve looks small (and i originally thought i would have to tweak it) but in my case its the perfect offset.

photo.jpg

Specs.

Overall height: 12"

Diameter: 1" O.D.

Wall thickness: .049"

Price: $55USD + shipping

PM me with your address for complete price including shipping

Installation of the shaft is nearly identical to the instructions of the straight shaft with one important addition. With the straight shaft the screws to secure the top adapter and the spring adapter are optional. With the curved shaft the screw for the spring adapter is Mandatory . This is due to the curve and resulting offset in the stick. Without the screw lateral deflections will create torque and cause the stick to rotate in the adapters. This is not a big deal as you just draw a center line on both sides of the shaft (a door sill works fine for alignment) then test assemble the lower components of the shaft adapters. Align the

screw holes of the spring adapter to the lines you marked earlier and match drill. Stainless Steel is allot harder to drill than aluminum so you will need a decent drill bit and drill.

At this time I will not be providing a pre-drilled shaft as every bodies taste is different. I also will not be providing custom curves at this time,unless its a large enough order (5+) to make it worthwhile.

Edited by whartsell

I think so far 12 inches works well, but it all depends on what seat you use. In a case where your seat is higher, then you will need to build a base to raise the stick... I would not use any longer extension for throw reasons. The current setup is pretty realistic to most planes and helos.

Count me in, PM sent.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Is the range of stick motion really that wide in real aircraft? Asking because i was thinking to build travel limiters to reduce it a bit , and my TMWH extension was even shorter then 12".

By setup I assume the location of the stick. I haven't looked up the exact throws for the hog but I assume pitch isn't symmetrical ( which this mod is) and roll might be a bit large as well.

If you tighten the lower adapter all the way down on the mod the stick throw will be reduced.

Is the range of stick motion really that wide in real aircraft? Asking because i was thinking to build travel limiters to reduce it a bit , and my TMWH extension was even shorter then 12".

Good question. I have been wondering that myself.

I am currently using a very short extension since I can't easily floor mount (no notch in the seat). It appeared to me, guesstimating, that if I floor mounted, with about a 12-13" extension, that the movement range would be a bit much.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Fantastic news, that's a lot sooner than I thought. :)

Look forward to the pm.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Whartsell can they make a curve the same as the Huey cyclic.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

That would raise cost exponentially as you would have to weld the stick together. These dimensions allow for minimum machining time to keep cost down.

Not a chance there would only be one weld look here http://www.komodosimulations.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17&Itemid=17

They were able to get this made as one curve that's all I'm after just the main curve don't worry about where the stick connects I'll sort that out, as much as I like the stick in the link its just over priced in my opinion considering the TMWH stick and what you get for your money.

Throw in the collective and I might consider it but that's another £450 plus vat to much money for a glorified joystick.

Whartsell I wish I had access to a Huey so I could copy the curvature of the stick unfortunately there is only a few in the UK and I doubt I could get access to them for that.

There must be someone over the pond that has access to a Huey and can stand a piece of cardboard next to the cyclic and trace round it to get the profile.

System Spec.

Hah!! Glorified joystick!! How rude!!������ Lol

I agree our controls are expensive and if I could make them and sell the for the cost of the TMWH then I would, I would sell hundreds then. But that's the main reason they are expensive, the market for these controls is relatively small which makes the individual componet price higher. If I was able to order parts in much higher quantities, like TM then the price would reduce drastically.

The issue you might have with increasing the extension on the TMWH is that you will loose sensitivity. As the angle of travel will be the same but the range of travel at the top of the extension will be much greater. You will only be using a fraction of that travel as you will hit your legs, so indirectly you are reducing resolution and reducing sensitivity. We have had to make custom parts to get around this issue to give full 12bit resolution over the correct range of movement of the controls to give greatest accuracy and as close to real as we can get.

If you require a custom shaft only with the correct curve, or any curve you want let me know. I'm happy to supply just the shaft. Can even get it powder coated for you as well. I've been meaning to get my hands on a TMWH to be able to offer custom shafts to any design, something I hope to get around to soon.

BR

Rich

Opps my bad me and my big mouth lol no offence meant I'm sure it is a fantastic bit of kit and I do keep drooling over it an knudeging the misses but sadly I am only into my TMWH set up by 6 months and I fear a kicking if I change up so early.

But heres my thinking if you could do me I direct copy of the tube you have there in 25mm tube in the same colour, obviously I will pay you, then slowly she will get used to seeing it and then I could get yours swap it when she is not around she will never notice the difference I hope.

System Spec.

Like your thinking!! Sounds like a plan.

Yep no probs, I'll sort out a price when I'm back in the workshop in the week.

BR

Rich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.komodosimulations.co.uk

Latest review!! http://mutleyshangar.com/reviews/dai/ks/ks.htm

FaceBook!!https://www.facebook.com/KomodoSimulations

Twitter https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=Komodosim