<51>SERVER - How do I start the engines?

Frostie

Steam users are invading multiplayer, please if you're on the <51>Server respect the server by not being disrespectful to the torrent of noobish questions such as 'How do I fly?' from freeloaders.

An apt response would be to suggest them to read the manual or be helpful in guiding them in chat or directing them to TS.

The biggest problem other than the constant requests of how to start engines, how do I rearm and how to fly etc.etc. is the crashing into other players and killing of friendlies.

If things get any worse we maybe forced to temporarily password the server on certain days.

This password will be 'rshifthome'.

Thanks

Edited by Frostie

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Yeah i noticed this today, people just joined the most populated servers and got annoying when they didn't get instant gratification...

Just to make this clear, nobody minds helping someone who actually set up his controls or tried the tutorial. I have no problem with new players that don't crash their planes onto the runway and have a basic idea how they should behave on taxiways/runways. But if somebody never openend the manual and expects me to spoonfeed him i get angry. xD

Edited by ApoNOOB

Steam users are invading multiplayer, please if you're on the <51>Server respect the server by not being disrespectful to the torrent of noobish questions such as 'How do I fly?' from freeloaders.

Can I make a request on behalf of the community that we are allowed the Ctrl+EEE prank once? Please? OK nevermind. :D:D

CtrlEEEnoob.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Along with that torrent of rubberneckers, comes the occasional simfreak like myself. I like the persistent war aspect your server offers and I've been trying to spectate on the 51 server but can't figure that part out yet. Combined Arms looks interesting, similar to Steelbeasts somewhat. There's a steep curve involved with seriously getting onboard any sim. I'm sure I'll get online sometime, once I'm sure I won't make a fool of myself.

Heh seems familiar.

The amount of people we have had come into the server since the steam launch who want to shoot stuff...

sigh...

Oh well perhaps out of the 1000 people spamming we might get 1 or 2 decent pilots out of it.

I'll help most people but I do expect the person who is asking for the help to do their bit. Im not into spoon feeding.

Great Server, Guys! Keep it up!

80's theme any time soon?

BadK

MSI Z270 Gaming M7

Core I7 7700K @ 5.0 GHz

MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming Trio

Corsair Vengence DDR4 2666 32GB

Corsair LE SSD 960GB

Corsair HX 650W

Corsair H100i v2

Corsair 460X Case

Windows 10 Pro 64

CH Products (FS, PT, PP)

Oculus CV1

I had to laugh the other day . Someone asked how to close the door , I replied "what door" , the next retort was , "I mean the latch" , to which I replied what latch ...... person left the server !!!

I don't mind helping out others , but If someone cant close the canopy , or even start the damn plane , I stay quite .

The steam guys always try to spawn into FC3 aircraft and are frustrated when they can't spawn. On a PvP server like the 51st we may have time&energy to explain this to 5 guys. But when constantly new people just join the most populated server and ask the same questions over and over again you get frustrated.

http://i.imgur.com/Mhm84fx.jpg Another way to deal with it.

Edited by ApoNOOB
  • Like 1

My opinion regarding the recent flood of new players - I think we should all be a little more compassionate to newcomers to this sim, no matter how irritating it can be when they're asking simple questions over and over, it will be our own fault if we drive new blood away and are left with our little 'niche' of players complaining about how dead the MP scene is....so come on guys, lets show some love :D

Edited by Mustang

Agree 100%

BadK

MSI Z270 Gaming M7

Core I7 7700K @ 5.0 GHz

MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming Trio

Corsair Vengence DDR4 2666 32GB

Corsair LE SSD 960GB

Corsair HX 650W

Corsair H100i v2

Corsair 460X Case

Windows 10 Pro 64

CH Products (FS, PT, PP)

Oculus CV1

Mustang has the right attitude. You guys are crazy if you are bothered by more players. We ALL started at the bottom.

As long as someone doesn't commit fratricide, or damge a friendly in any way, let them come.

While this is true there is also another point of view on this.

When I started to fly this sim Ive spend like a week just reading manual and watching tutorials and learnig whatever I needed to fly (and I had lot of experience from before too). After that I went online and may have asked some specific questions about something (not how to start engines).

So I have full respect and will to help ppl in this case.

I dont however have will to help anyone who ask how to fly/start engine/whatever if they never saw manual - otherwise they would know.

Just my take on newcomers.

My answer is always: "Read the manual!"

I'd like to help people who want to seriously get involved, not people who were attracted by the possibility to blow up stuff. The latter category seems to be most abundant amongst our new steam recruits.

'Frett'

They cant be bothered to read the manual to learn how to start their engines, but they sure are good at using google to find what the chat key (~) is.

I agree with mustang to a point, but it is really tiring to see people say "I can't get in my plane to even start shooting things, this game sucks!"

We were all new once, but these steam players are a different sort of people, looking for something more like HAWX.

Oh well, I think we should at least show them how to get in to their slot and start up their engines. That way, we will have a lot of planes in the air for target practice ;) In any case, we will soon see the ignorant Call of Duty types go back to playing black ops, and the good ones will hopefully keep at it.

Edited by Night

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS

Mustang has the right attitude. You guys are crazy if you are bothered by more players. We ALL started at the bottom.

As long as someone doesn't commit fratricide, or damge a friendly in any way, let them come.

We are not talking about the same thing here. We are literally talking about people who just downloaded the game without any idea about it and are instantly frustrated that they can't take off and shoot shit in the first 30 seconds. It's not like we didn't try for the first 10 people. But it became clear soon that everyone just joined the most populated server and expected to just jump into action.

When they realize this is not happening anytime soon they get pissed off, sometimes attack people (verbally and sometimes when they manage physically), troll in ts or argue with us how shit this boring game is.

I am helping people very often with the A10C or sometimes FC3, but nobody of those people ever asked me how to start their bloody plane. I can be patient and explain to some complete noob how to start the frogfoot. I can do that a few times, but with a constant stream of the same questions everybody would just shut down.

But we got a point here, the steam masses should be somehow directed and not just left to fend for themselfs. The tutorial should popup on the first start("How do I start my aircraft?"), slots of not owned aircrafts in MP should be locked with a explaining message ("How do I spawn?") and maybe a server setting to lock people that do not own any DCS modules out of a server.

I know this is a very bad way to handle it, but I will gladly baby-sit a handfull of noobs in a freeflight/training server. On the other hand while on a PvP server where we want to do quick and efficient sorties there is rightfully low tollerance for bullshit.

Stuff like destroyed runways, destroyed friendly sams, bad attitude and teamkills etc just really suck in a good match.

Edited by ApoNOOB

I don't think showing new guys the ropes is a problem for the majority of players on servers but everyone has a limit to how much focus their freetime is spent doing this.

But last Sunday was like nothing i've ever seen, the server had an obvious new guy steam user every 2 mins for most of the day, and that is no exaggeration. They followed the same pattern of selecting every plane avaliable before asking how to spawn, then they'd be told they can only select Su25T so then they'd select the vanilla 25 and moan its not working, then they'd moan 'but I wanna fly xx-#', then when they finally get in the pit the answer to 'how do I start' is 'that's not working', when much dialect in performing a simple sequence of key presses passes by the next question is 'how to go forward' the response should always include how to brake, many wrecked airbases are testament to this. After they've destroyed a few aircraft they leave the server, but not to worry during the first kids trial run 2 more have already joined the server and are going through the exact same procedure. This would carry on and on all Sunday.

This obviously becomes tiresome for many on the server so naturally bad words can be exchanged especially when you consider a lot of these steam freeCS users will probably be fresh out of nappies and used to talking trash on cod etc. though I must state there were also plenty of friendly gents too.

What I want is for people on our server to choose less confrontational responses when they get tired of the repetition. You get the odd ones who are mature and apologetic in their noobie questions, these guys are keepers and should be looked after but the loud mouth kids that demand a response need to be dealt with calmly.

If I get round to being on the server this weekend and we get the same sort of invasion I may open up a DCS training server just so they can go somewhere and practice without causing mayhem. This would have all the basic controls etc. avaliable in either brief or by trigger.

In the end i'd just like everyone joining our server to be patient with the influx of new guys, the more that get the flight sim bug the merrier. And don't hesitate in sending them to our Teamspeak server ip:51st.hopto.org

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org