Got it up in the air! A couple questions...

FFOman

Couldn't sleep at all tonight...I guess I was too anxious to start flying the P51-D! I jotted down a few of the more important controls, put it in game mode until I get used to controlling a bit, read the manual and Quick Start Guides, then created a fast mission starting out on the runway.

Well after 2 or 3 bent props and flaming wingtips, I did finally get it off the ground. And what I noticed right away was how important setting the trim correctly was and how responsive and easy to lose control this sim is compared to any other I'd ever played! Od course I never had one of this high quality and realistic grade and so had expected this anyway. So for the first few attempts, once I was actually flying I suddenly couldn't remember how to increase the throttle or manifold pressure in game mode and kept ending up crashing into the ground anyway!

But once I got the hang of it, I ran a quick dogfight mission against a single plane, but I guess I'm not quite ready for that yet cause I couldn't get my altitude up where the Nazi was flying and so only got a few shots at him when he tried diving down at me. But I did hit him a few times before he took both my wings and tail off and left me falling from the sky in what looked like one of the old short fuselages I used to fly when ever I found them sitting in front of a grocery store as a kid!

He killed me five times in a row within about 5 minutes each time. And though I did try to eject, I guess dead men can't cause it never worked for me! <g> Of course I also never tried rolling the canopy back either, so that might have had something to do with it as well!

Did this plane have an ejection seat? Or did the pilots just have to climb out and jump? What is the correct procedure for ejecting, and is it different in Game mode?

I'd like to practice starting from a parked position, then taxi-ing out, taking off, making a quick circuit around town, and then landing. What's the best way to do this without having to go thru the tutorial each time?

I'd like to paint my plane a different color, add a simple version of my avatar to both sides of the tail and rudder, and scribe my handle on both sides of the fuselage. Is this possible for MP play? If so, can anyone provide me with a way to learn how to do this? I'm a programmer, but have never modded!

Lastly, I'm using the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Stick to fly. Does anyone have a good mapping for it? I'm not quite sure how and what to bind my throttle to, or the Z-rocker switch on the throttle handle. I'm using the Stick's twist for my rudder, but I was thinking maybe the rocker would be a good way of handle let and right trim? Any thoughts on the best way to set this stick up for the P-51D would be appreciated!

From 'Robert Meek' aka "FFOman" dba Tangentals Design Creative Concepts in Programming Design & Code

Business e-mail: TanDesign@comcast.net Gaming e-mail: FFOlonghair@comcast.net

Games I Play: DCS World, FreeSpace 2, Star Citizen, F1 2015, Chess.

FFOman's World Blog: Coming Soon!ttp://ffomansworldblog.wordpress.com/

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Did this plane have an ejection seat? Or did the pilots just have to climb out and jump? What is the correct procedure for ejecting, and is it different in Game mode?

No ejector seat, just climb and jump. There was an emergency canopy release lever; pulling this would unlatch something beyond the normal canopy latch, so that the slipstream would take the entire detachable canopy away from the aircraft. In DCS, the bail-out key (by default: Ctrl+E, three times quickly) releases the canopy and begins your climb out of the cockpit, after which--if you haven't hit the ground by this point--the virtual pilot will automatically open the 'chute. Which is a bad thing, because you can't choose to open lower to avoid enemy fire, but you can't die in your virtual chute due to gunfire, so I guess it doesn't matter so much at present.

There's always MORE questions!

I should have thought about the eject command needing to be made three times to make it work because I remember seeing exactl the same in some other flight sim for yesteryear...probably one of the old Jane's sims!

I did watch the video above as well as quite a few more I've found on UTube, unfortunately they haven't been much help because those dam yellow arrows are always flashing over the controls making it nearly impossible for me to see exactly what is being clicked on and how they are supposed to be moved. But in combination with the DCS trainng videos and the manuels, I'm sure I'll fgure it all out eventually!

In any event, I need a place to practice and make use of each step as I learn them...zt my own pace and, and hopefully with other pilots who will be willing to offer a little help and patience as well! <g>

And so if things go as well as I expect them to, I should be ready to give MP a try by next month.

but if until that time I can find a mission that allowes me to fly unfettered and without enemies so that I can take my time and really learn how to handle my plane in both modes, get take-off and landing down pat, and configure my stick, that'll go a long way toward making the process much smoother and more ebjoyable! BTW...there is a mission listed under downloads in the DCS site that as desccribed seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, but I wasn't able to find any instructions for loading and managing any of the files listed in that group of both single an multi-file mod packages!

Well i guess I've expounded enough for the day...so "Keep your eyes on the prize! May your skies always be sunny, and always full of our enemies so we may send them back with all the other ground crawlers!"

From 'Robert Meek' aka "FFOman" dba Tangentals Design Creative Concepts in Programming Design & Code

No ejector seat, just climb and jump.

Actually, I should have said "climb and tumble," or perhaps "climb and dive." With a fighter, I don't think jumping is involved at any speed. As soon as you're mostly-out-of-the-cockpit, the "wind" is going to pretty much pull you out, as I understand it. That's one of the reasons it was so dangerous, and why so many pilots got hurt (even when they didn't hit the stabilizer). At very slow speeds, you can just slide off the wing as you leave the cockpit (assuming the aircraft is roughly level), but at higher speeds, it's going to be difficult to exit the aircraft in a controlled fashion. (This is based on my research and my observations of footage, not first-hand experience.)

DCS currently doesn't model injuries to the virtual pilot from striking the aircraft while bailing out, but I do believe I've noticed several bailing-out animations, based on the aircraft's speed. Not sure; it's been a while since I've flown the sim, 'coz of my (real-life) hand injuries. Anyone else notice this, or was I seeing things?

Edited by Echo38

I should have thought about the eject command needing to be made three times to make it work because I remember seeing exactl the same in some other flight sim for yesteryear...probably one of the old Jane's sims!

I did watch the video above as well as quite a few more I've found on UTube, unfortunately they haven't been much help because those dam yellow arrows are always flashing over the controls making it nearly impossible for me to see exactly what is being clicked on and how they are supposed to be moved. But in combination with the DCS trainng videos and the manuels, I'm sure I'll fgure it all out eventually!

In any event, I need a place to practice and make use of each step as I learn them...zt my own pace and, and hopefully with other pilots who will be willing to offer a little help and patience as well! <g>

And so if things go as well as I expect them to, I should be ready to give MP a try by next month.

but if until that time I can find a mission that allowes me to fly unfettered and without enemies so that I can take my time and really learn how to handle my plane in both modes, get take-off and landing down pat, and configure my stick, that'll go a long way toward making the process much smoother and more ebjoyable! BTW...there is a mission listed under downloads in the DCS site that as desccribed seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, but I wasn't able to find any instructions for loading and managing any of the files listed in that group of both single an multi-file mod packages!

Well i guess I've expounded enough for the day...so "Keep your eyes on the prize! May your skies always be sunny, and always full of our enemies so we may send them back with all the other ground crawlers!"

I would recommend that you skip the 'game mode' if you want to truly get a feel for how this plane handles. Practice taking off, flying around and landing for in simulation mode until you get the hang of the plane. The campaign missions will also serve quite well in that regard. Use the quick mission to setup a simple random mission, it will only take you a couple of minutes and it will randomize the conditions so you will learn how the plane handles in different conditions as well.

For the joystick setup obviously you will want to setup the different axis correctly, this is done in the options menu, and depending on the number of buttons available setup your gear up/down, flaps up/down, and some view options like zoom in/out, center view, hat switches and the like.

I'm not THAT senile! <g>

I feel like I must have given the wrong impression due to you perception that I need to be told how to configure Joystick axis! <BG>

True I'm a noob as far as military grade sims are concerned, but computers I've been using and programming since '72! I think I know a few things! <g>

BTW, as per my earlier message in this thread I did exactly that, setting up a Fast mission I could practice in. I made it with one air and one ground target because I figure once I AM in the air, I should take out both targets before a CAP home, and THEN practice landing!

As for hand and arm injuries, sorry to hear that...I've got a lifetime of personal stories along those lines myself and may be able to held you get around them. For example, my right elbow is fused at 90 degrees, and thus my hand is locked palm down cause my wrist no longer rotates due to the fusion in the elbow! All movement is restricted and must be compensated for by my right shoulder, thus it is now damaged and causes pain you wouldn't believe after just a few moment using a regular mouse. So I invented a solution that now makes it possible for me to use mouse, keyboard, and Jstick at the same time for hous on end without anymore pain!

If interested, let me know and I'll send you a private message or e-mail and explain it to you.

Ergonomics

I'll be glad to. But remind me in about two weeks cause I'll be away for a bit!