X-52 Pro profiles for a newbie?

Hey all!

I'm new to the forum, my name is John, so Hello!

I've been into flight simulators for about 18 years or so. Been flying in MSFS from version 95 all the way up to X! Decided to look for something a little more challenging, and I think DCS is it! I'm LOVING all of the aircraft systems involved. I'm addicted!

So I have TrackIR 5 and a Saitek X-52 Pro. I'm finding both are immensely useful for DCS! Here's the thing, I've tried a couple of X-52 Pro profiles and I realized something; I know too little about this game to even remotely decide what's best.

So here's my question, can anyone point me in the direction of an X-52 Pro profile that will best work with the Saitek X-52 Pro for a complete newbie to the game? Ideally I'd like to really have the 'HOTAS' stuff down. In other words, I'd like the stick and throttle to be more configured for HOTAS functions. I really don't need things like engine start or canopy controls on the throttle and stick like some profiles! I'm not sure whether I prefer using the mode switch (never needed it before) or the 'shift' key (using the pinky key) so either would be fine.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

I use an X-52 regular, but none of the controls are different as far as I can tell other than the MFD.

The profile I use is designed to replicate the HOTAS functions as much as possible with respect to the real stick. The correct hats are on the correct controls. Some people's profiles I see are weird because they put DMS and TMS on the throttle and put Slew on the stick POV hat which is inverse to the real HOTAS in the A-10.

The other thing I do is map as many controls to the joystick buttons themselves and use very little of the Saitek profiler. This is cleaner as the game is directly interpreting the buttons rather than a macro of keyboard keys that might go funny.

Lastly I use an in DCS selected modifier to double up as many controls as I need so that I can have every hat used twice as there are basically 6 hats on the A-10 HOTAS but the X-52 only has 3.

My modifier is the clutch button for which you need to disable the clutch functionality in the X-52 control panel. I also don't use any modes as I use the mode selector knob (the three colours) for Autopilot select and HOTAS pinky switch select.

The only real compromise my control has is that it puts the Boat switch and the China hat onto the stick using its A B and C fire buttons.

To prepare a Saitek profile for this you ensure Clutch button acts only as a normal joystick button, and then create a new profile in which you delete all the modes and pinkyswitch modes other than the very first one.

Basic rundown is as follows:

Without Modifier

Stick

POV1 - DMS

POV2 - TMS

Fire A - China Hat FWD

Fire B - China Hat Aft

Fire C - Master Mode Control Button

Pinky Button - Pinky Button

Mode Green - A/P Pitch Mode

Mode Orange - A/P Alt/Heading Mode

Mode Red - A/P Alt Mode

Trigger and Weapons release should be self explanatory

Toggles 1, 2 and 3 - AM, FM, UHF

Toggle 4 - Refuel Slipway

Toggle 5 and 6 - Trackir Pause and Centre

Throttle

POV3 - Slew

Fire D - Autopilot Engage

Mouse Fire - PTT for Teamspeak

Scroll Down - Flaps Down

Scroll Up - Flaps Up

Clutch Button - Set as Modifier in DCS controls

Fire E - T/O Trim

With Modifier

Stick

POV 1 - Trim Hat

POV2 - CMS

Fire A - Boat Switch FWD

Fire B - Boat Switch AFT

Fire C - Boat Switch CTR

Pinky Button - Emergency Disengage switch

Mode Green - HOTAS pinky switch FWD

Mode Orange - HOTAS pinky switch CTR

Mode Red - HOTAS pinky switch AFT

Throttle

POV3 - Coolie Hat

Most of the above controls are mapped using the HOTAS sub-directory in the A-10 Sim controls. One note on the Trim is that for whatever reason using the modifier with it means that you continue to trim even after releasing the POV hat until you release the modifier as well, so I developed the habit of releasing the modifier simultaneously with the trim HAT. To set the modifier you have to set the clutch button as one in the control menu and then everytime you set a control under the modifier you set it as normal then select the modifier button in the modifier drop down menu.

Last things. I use the Mouse nubbin as the speed brake switch. To replicate this function you set the mouse axis to Bands and then set the axis that corresponds to forward and backward to have bands at 0-20% and 80-100% and in those two bands put the keyboard commands for the speedbrakes. For correct representation you have to make pulling aft on the mouse nub deploy speed brakes and forward on it close them (seems counter intuitive at first).

For an FOV zoom function you can now use either the slider or one of the rotaries for this. Either or.

There are a few buttons still not used like depressing the scroll wheel so there's room for improvement and improvisation. I also use my MFD buttons for UFC rocker FWD and AFT and the third for Master Caution, but I don't know how many buttons a Pro MFD has.

Someone gave me this profile ages ago, and if they're on these forums I thank them, if I only remembered their name. I think this profile is about as good as you can do with any X-52(pro) while retaining the spirit of the A-10 hotas. It also benefits anyone who wants to upgrade to the TM Warthog one day as their controls won't be particularly different, except for the China hat and Boat switch.

Hope thats helpful.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Sounds great! Any chance you'd want to upload your x-52 .pr0 file and your LUA file from the DCS folder? If not that's cool too it would just save me some effort, and ensure that I don't screw something up!

That's what I'm looking for, something closer to the real HOTAS function. The profiles I keep finding are still requiring the keyboard for HOTAS functionality but have really odd functionality on the X-52 pro (like engine start or canopy open/close).

I do with the X-52 pro had a few more buttons and switches and hats. There's a lot of real estate for that! But I suppose outside of DCS there's not much use. There is VERY little use for it in FSX. I ended up mapping everything down to the autopilot controls (certain sliders control altitude, heading, etc.) on the stick/throttle.

Edited by Romans5.8

Just a small point I thought might be worth adding:

DCS allows multiple 'modifier' buttons to be applied at the same time for any given command (<modifier_1> + <modifier_2> + <some_key>).

For my X52 setup I have assigned two modifier buttons: the 'Pinkie' button, and the 'Clutch' button.

This allows almost every button on the HOTAS to be reused for FOUR different functions.

(1: button, 2: button+modifier1, 3: button+modifier2, 4: button+modifier1+modifier2)

It makes it challenging trying to keep a note of all these assignments :)

(I have a pretty cluttered paper diagram illustrating each of the numerous commands assigned to each of the different buttons)

Hey all,

:thumbup: @MeerCaT - the 'Clutch' button - that´s a good idea.

A tip :

It is possible to use a X52-Pro-Profile with a X52-NON-PRO !

Perhaps it will work the other way too (?). I don`t know.

Open the PRO-Profile with the Profileditor

The file seems to be empty - but all the commands are there

Choose the appropriate command for each button

Save in a new file

Well I can recommend the 'Jack Bauer' profile for the x52:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=58484

However, I would say that mine is a heavily modified version of this and I would urge you to do the same (using the JB profile as a starting point). Ultimately, what makes sense to someone else may not get the job done for you. Plus, if you end up using things like VAC/TARS or anything else that requires key strokes that you make want on your HOTAS you will have to modify it anyway.

Good luck, and welcome to the sim.

Regards,

-Sharpe

Well I can recommend the 'Jack Bauer' profile for the x52:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=58484

However, I would say that mine is a heavily modified version of this and I would urge you to do the same (using the JB profile as a starting point). Ultimately, what makes sense to someone else may not get the job done for you. Plus, if you end up using things like VAC/TARS or anything else that requires key strokes that you make want on your HOTAS you will have to modify it anyway.

Good luck, and welcome to the sim.

Regards,

-Sharpe

I went ahead and got this one configured, as it seems to make sense to me. I made a couple small changes (moving the autopilot switch to the throttle for example).

Now to continue learning how to operate this thing I'll be golden!