Which Module

Hey guys!

So I recently bought TrackIR 5 in a bid to try and get back into the simming community, and boy is it awesome! Now I have been playing flight simulators for coming up to 10 years now, from, MS FS9/X and il2 to the original Lock On and FC expansion, amongst other combat flight sims. Back then I never properly learnt how to play LOMAC. Since TrackIR has made me fall in love with flight sims again, I have been playing and attempting to learn DCS World and the free aircraft provided, but I want to expand what I can fly, but I really don't know which module to go for! I love the idea of a fully simulated aircraft such as the KA-50 or the A-10C but FC3 also looks pretty awesome with having more than one aircraft even if they are "simpler" to fly.

So guys, which of the modules would you recommend?

Cheers

In-Game name: Razor

ROG Maximus V Gene | Intel 2500K @ 4.7Ghz | Nvidia GTX780 3GB GDDR5 (OC) | 8GB DDR3 | Saitek X52 (Spring Mod) | TrackIR5 + Pro Clip

you'll probably get different opinions from everyone but...

the a-10c is the most difficult to learn, but easiest to use, and easy to use in combat

the ka-50 is very easy to learn, easy to use, but difficult to use in combat <= my favorite one

the UH-1Y is probably the easiest to learn of them all, but most difficult to use, and even more difficult to use in combat

and the p-51 is fairly easy to learn, difficult to use, and difficult in combat

by learn, i mean book smarts,

by use i mean actually going out and using it,

by use in combat i mean to avoid getting shot at while also shooting, not just shooting.

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Get them all! :P

My personal favorite is still the A-10C, I'll never get sick of decimating anything with the Gatling gun :)

And I like all of the buttons in the cockpit that I can push and flick, its very detailed, but I wouldn't say complicated. And you don't need to be an ACE to have fun in it as its very is to fly.

But I think it really just depends on what you like doing most.

Planes

-Ground attack A-10C/Su-25(A)(T)

-Dog Fights P-51

-Air Superiority FC3

Choppers

-Ka-50

-Huey

Since you have got a TrackIR I'd recommend sticking to the planes that have a full 6DoF cockpit to make the most of the TrackIR.

Sponsored by: http://www.ozpc.com.au

I would love to get them all :P

Don't the FC3 aircraft have 6DoF? I know the free aircraft does not have it.

I think I am swinging more towards the A-10C, being able to go from a cold start, to combat and then to shut down through actually flicking each switch in the cockpit and using joystick (i have an x52) controls, rather than pressing the hotkeys is very appealing to me. How hard is it to find people to fly with online on this sim? After learning all the systems of the various aircraft, I imagine multiplayer is pretty awesome!

ROG Maximus V Gene | Intel 2500K @ 4.7Ghz | Nvidia GTX780 3GB GDDR5 (OC) | 8GB DDR3 | Saitek X52 (Spring Mod) | TrackIR5 + Pro Clip

The F-15C/A-10A/SU-25A/27 have the 6DOF 3D cockpit.

But not clickable.

No word on the Migs tho.

How hard is it to find people to fly with online on this sim?
Not hard, there are Online sqds you can join aswel as being a lone wolf...

After learning all the systems of the various aircraft, I imagine multiplayer is pretty awesome!
as a team it is AWESOME!
Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

as a team it is AWESOME!

Very true, for whatever duration the server manages to stay online though.

And you don't have to be whit many either.

Just a couple minutes ago i ended a 2 hour orso flight whit Laser something.

Great fun, good teamwork, and neither of us got shot down.

We shot, i believe 4 or 5 enemy a/c down though.

Didn't even know the guy btw, saw him playing on our squad server and TS and just joined in.:joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

the ka-50 is very easy to learn, easy to use, but difficult to use in combat <= my favorite one

The Ka-50 has some extremely detailed avionics and systems that can really keep you busy for some time. Even the mechanical clock requires some reading before you know how to adjust the time of day :). You can make it as difficult to learn as you want depending on how much in detail you want to know about it's systems, mechanical components etc etc.

I find it quite easy in combat. The automated systems and the K-041 Nav and combat system help alot if you use them properly. Over the past 5 years I've developed some strategies for myself and now I rarely get shot down anymore, even in sam intensive and no outside view missions.

I own all modules and for some reason I always return the Ka-50. Best sim ever produced.

'Frett'

The Ka-50 has some extremely detailed avionics and systems that can really keep you busy for some time.

No offense, but the datalink sharing system is atrocious compared to the near automatic target sharing of the modern A-10. After flying an A-10C the Ka-50 really shows its age in that and many other systems.

That said, the Ka-50 is the only viable attack helicopter, unless you count Huey strafing runs as enough combat complexity to sate your needs.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

I would suggest start with the A-10A flaming cliffs or Su25. They are wonderful....a good start with the AFM and basic simplified cockpit systems and a lot of fun. Once you like it, you will get to appreciate the detail of the A-10C and the systems and flexibility it offers.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

No offense, but the datalink sharing system is atrocious compared to the near automatic target sharing of the modern A-10. After flying an A-10C the Ka-50 really shows its age in that and many other systems.

That said, the Ka-50 is the only viable attack helicopter, unless you count Huey strafing runs as enough combat complexity to sate your needs.

You misunderstood. I'm not talking about how advanced they are. I'm talking about how much you can learn about these systems. Advanced or horribly outdated, I don't care.

For example I recently learnt about making RAIM status predictions in the ABRIS. Not that I use it very often, but it indicates that you never stop learning with DCS modules.

'Frett'

Thank you all for the replies! :)

I'm still getting the hang of the SU-25T, the hardest part for me at the moment is working out what each weapon type does and what targeting system they require, but i'll get there eventually. Also finding targets without the help of labels is hard!

I've decided I will go for the A-10C when I feel I've mastered the SU-25T, as I am really enjoying Air-Ground attack, I will use my 60% off coupon on FC3 when ED fix the website to allow it :P

Thanks again for your opinions guys :) It was very helpful!

Don't be fooled by thinking FC3 is easy to learn, I found that all the different key combinations in that game makes it a nightmare to learn. Much better to have switches in the cockpit.

Agree with that entirely. Setting up a joystick for FC3 is usually a pain for me. With Ka-50, the A-10C, or the Huey it's easy to just map the HOTAS functions to your stick and throttle.

I used to have a great setup back when these planes were in LOMAC, have never really managed to get them configured properly in FC3.

Hey guys!

So I recently bought TrackIR 5 in a bid to try and get back into the simming community, and boy is it awesome! Now I have been playing flight simulators for coming up to 10 years now, from, MS FS9/X and il2 to the original Lock On and FC expansion, amongst other combat flight sims. Back then I never properly learnt how to play LOMAC. Since TrackIR has made me fall in love with flight sims again, I have been playing and attempting to learn DCS World and the free aircraft provided, but I want to expand what I can fly, but I really don't know which module to go for! I love the idea of a fully simulated aircraft such as the KA-50 or the A-10C but FC3 also looks pretty awesome with having more than one aircraft even if they are "simpler" to fly.

Cheers

I had a different experience from the first reply.

I found P-51 to be almost impossible to learn (not impossible but much more difficult to fly the way it is supposed to be flown). The UH-1 is difficult to learn a few small things but is very fun to learn and fly. The A-10C has a lot going on so it can seem difficult to learn but it is not. It also has been the most enjoyable for me, thus it was actually easy to learn and fairly easy to progress.

I can't say which one to get; however, as personal preference is a more important variable than anything else.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, frankly I'd recommend all of them. Eventually at least.

A-10C is probably best to start with, so I'm glad to see that's what you're planning on getting. It has good depth in the avionics modelling and it's pretty versatile with what you can do in it. You won't get bored with it. It's fun to fly and carries a lot of ordnance, which is always a formula for greatness.

UH-1H is the one I find the most fun to just fly around. It's the most challenging to handle flight-dynamics-wise, and of course it's from the 60's, so it basically comes equipped with a compass and a few radios. It won't take several hours just to learn how to power it up.

P-51D is great if you're in to classic aircraft, and even if you aren't it's a great all-around aircraft. Not very helpful if you're looking for serious air-to-ground work (.50 cal + FFARs won't make nearly the same dent in some baddie ground forces as an A-10 or Ka-50 will), but it did help save the world and it's a beautiful aircraft.

Ka-50 is excellent, not as easy to use as an A-10, but effective and awesome in its own right. You'll be able to loiter around and really pick off every last enemy in the area, which is a bit tougher in the A-10 flying around at 200 kts and 20,000 ft. A good stepping stone in to helicopters if eventually you want to take the plunge in to the autopilot-free world of the Huey.

They're all good though, and you really can't go wrong. Congrats on the new TrackIR and enjoy! :thumbup: