DCS: World on Steam

Slazi

Great news, but with no ability to move modules over for existing users this is a real let down. The steam version also lacks some of the modules from the standalone. Does this mean users of the steam version would need a second install of the standalone to play these, or are these likely moving over in the future.

Getting on Steam is a great move. I hope things work out.

I'd love to use the steam version, but there's no way I'm rebuying every DCS module. :joystick:

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just about to download the steam version! Glad I saw this.

It is a shame that we cant move modules to over to steam (I know other games have made it possible in the past - Trackmania Canyon for example)

Its nice being able to chat without alt tabbing and also good advertising for DCS as your friends see you are playing it for a few hours every night.

Sponsored by: http://www.ozpc.com.au

I am installing DCS World from Steam right now... I already own A10C on Steam. I'm hoping everything else gets put there as well!

Steam does allow you to activate products you own via CD Key... not suer what the developer has to do to support this though.

I've never used steam before, does this mean any new dcs modules are only able to be bought through steam? And the update system is only going to be through steam and not the normal standalone dcs world that we have?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

A-10C bought on Steam works through DCS World as download from ED's website. I hope this is true for all future modules of DCS sold on Steam.

Likewise, it would be great if our existing DCS World modules can be imported into Steam. Give us the option to run it with or without Steam regardless of where we bought it. Seems like the best and smoothest option for customers.

It also makes it easy to send gifts to those who do not want to use Steam. Buy the module on Steam, gift it over. Retrieve CD key without installing the game via Steam and just download it from ED's website and plug in the key from Steam. I did this exact thing with A-10C. I never installed it on Steam even though someone gifted me the copy via Steam.

Other games do this. For example, copies of Crysis 2 and Mass Effect 2, if bought on DVD or through a place like Amazon can be activated on Origin. Even if you bought the games prior to Origin's release.

It is something to seriously consider. I get 5.5-6MB/S downloads on Steam. Through ED's own updater I get speeds of 20KB/S-1.5MB/S. It varies wildly and I can not pause or stop the download halfway through. However, I am not interested in rebuying Black Shark 2, Huey, and all of my FC3 aircraft to simply activate them on Steam. And I would think downloading off of Valve's servers would save costs on ED's part. Hopefully ED can accomplish such a thing.

Steam sucks! Won't update Cliffs of Dover. Any game you get on Steam will become obsolete because Steam don't up date on a consistent basis.

That is an issue on your end or an issue with that particular game. Steam updates work extremely well. I played Cliffs of Dover for 61 minutes and never installed it again; I think there is something wrong with the game in this instance.

• ED Team
Steam sucks! Won't update Cliffs of Dover. Any game you get on Steam will become obsolete because Steam don't up date on a consistent basis.

Steam makes it pretty easy for the developers to publish updates.

When the developers have automated build process, of course.

We have one.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Apparently the Steam version isn't patched to latest build and DCS_Updater.exe is broken in it. I just fixed it by dropping my existing non-steam version with add-ons already activated over it. Now all add-ons are registered except my Blackshark which was a BS1 -> BS2 upgrade. Still not sure how to fix that even though all my other add-ons are registered again now. Steam version was 1.2.5.15865 while the non-steam version was 1.2.5.16184. That fixed registration of all my add-ons except Blackshark.

Edited by BHawthorne

• ED Team
It is something to seriously consider. I get 5.5-6MB/S downloads on Steam. Through ED's own updater I get speeds of 20KB/S-1.5MB/S. It varies wildly and I can not pause or stop the download halfway through.

We are working on improving the updater. I can promise stable (in the upper range) download speeds in the future.

But achieving Steam capacities is prohibitively expensive for us.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

What rubbish! Steam will give you the latest official version of Cliffs of Dover. If you want to update it beyond that, you will be installing an unofficial, third-party update. That is nothing to do with Steam.

Games you get on Steam may become obsolete someday, but it's not likely to be due to game updates.

WOW, your level of misinformation is astounding.

The publisher/developer are responsible for updates.

Years ago, some publishers left digital versions out of date and just updated their retail disc versions.

Since the retail market has died, digital versions now get updated as and when needed.

All Cliffs of Dover versions run through Steam therefore all versions are the same.

The latest unofficial beta is not on Steam but that is because it is unofficial and the publisher will not authorise the update.

Edited by Gimpymoo

We need to see a way for moving products over to steam. Steam is a much easier way to manage what is a somewhat crazy tangle of products.

I bought Black Shark 1 and A10-C from steam during a sale a while back, and then got a Black Shark 2 key from your store. Now I have DCS World and A10-C on steam, just as I like, but I cannot use that install method because then I would lose access to my copy of Black Shark 2.

I know I bought that with no expectation of getting it on steam, but it really would make my life a lot easier not having to deal with a non-steam version. I could just get the "DLC" from steam, and let it install and update while I am away, as I leave steam on almost all the time to fetch updates before I come home.

Please guys. Please try get us access to our modules on Steam.

Everybody is asking about steam migration, but I would like to ask opposite question. Will be actually possible to buy future modules via steam and then add the serial number into non-steam World and my account? Basically, use the steam just as purchase platform, nothing else.

I think you can do that already (buy on steam just to get the serial but activate through regular DCS World (and its modules) installation), altough I don't know why that is any different to buying on ED website?

No longer active in DCS...

Steam doesn't update. The producers send updates to Steam. If there is no update sent to them, there's no update.

Cliffs of Dover no longer officially supported. So no more patch for CloD.

The ATAG-"Patch" is an unofficial mod, which is not officially approved. So you won't see this on Steam either.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I think you can do that already (buy on steam just to get the serial but activate through regular DCS World (and its modules) installation), altough I don't know why that is any different to buying on ED website?

You can also buy games as a present, recommend it to friends, let friends use your bonus-keys, share missions, screenshots and videos via CommunityHub. And last not least: you can TRADE games (If supported by the developer).

Steam has also a very decent recommendation-function and a metascore. In general: The more people play a game and like it, the better it is promoted or the more likely it is included in recommendations.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

• ED Team

I still dont get why anyone would want to install via steam ?

Sure purchase it on steam keep all your game records in one place, but then download and install DCSworld like everyone else, then you will not risk any future 3rd party modules not being compatible with steam.

That is how I see it, am I wrong ?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I don't get it either.

What's wrong with offering people a choice and earn more money from a new platform???

Nothing. Steam has about 50 million odd people on it. From a business perspective it would be pretty crazy not to put it on steam imo. You get a free plane as well so probably going to be alot of people just checking it out.

• Like 1