Take on Mars

BHawthorne

I had noticed it on Steam but they must be having an issue as it indicates release today but there is no price or buy button.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Cool, thanks.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Take On Mars Review

Hello Gentlemen,

Just got Take On Mars by Bohemia Interactive, the early edition is available for download on steam. Downloaded it, installed it and double clicked on play. Straight to the options menu and run in windowed mode and then changed my mind and put it back to full screen mode. The first screen that greets you is the Take On Mars menu with the usual game options and a spinning depiction of planet Mars. You can hold down the LMB and spin the planet around and see cool sounding names like - Syrtis Major and Elysium Planitia. A few clicks and the initial tutorial loads up. Clicked on Real World Time and eventually I make my way to the Lab and Construction Building. Found myself pressing the 'Test Vehicle' panel & see the lander. I see different views and instruments, You see (not manipulate) the outside world. My first test ship wobbled like crazy and the wide angle and telephoto view quality, looked like they had purchased the same cameras used in the Blair Witch project. Maybe it's an early alpha thing? I think Bohemia are simulating the quality of video/pictures sent from Mars back to Earth -- lossy and crap. Like any man on the planet who has never read an instruction manual since making 1/32 Airfix models, I end up pressing every single key to see what screens pop up. Oooh... aaarghhh... what does that do... oohhh.... Esc key goes to Main Menu. Yawn and fast forwarded to the Launch vehicle 13mins 39secs. Look around the crater for about six or seven minutes and then stumble on the list of tasks required to be completed in this particular mission.

After pressing every key again, q,w,e,r,t,y,,,,,. I find myself at the Capture Gas stage. oooh... aarghhhh.... Click on Capture Gas. Yay! DO NOT MOVE INSTRUMENT in flashing red text. First you capture the gas, then you analyse gas. (Insert Fart Joke) This is one of the Major Tasks completed at the initial first assignment Victoria Crater. Your initial foray in the Victoria Crater teaches you Mars atmospheric pressure differences compared to Earth and also the composition percentages of CO2, N & Ar (I knew learning the first twenty elements of the periodic table would be useful in my lifetime.. thanks to my grade 10 science teacher Mr Clewett). Once you complete a mission, you also get access to New Tech Levels and various vehicle and instruments at tech level 2 become available. And I got a steam achievement unlocked "It's All About the Science" I then read the rest of the Mission task and see there is another minor task, a photo opportunity requirement.

The light bulb dims and I figure out that mission tasks are comprised of Major task and Minor tasks. Each successful completion of Major & Minor tasks during a mission will allow you access to higher level tech and more cash to spend on stuff. In the Early Access version, I can see some instruments have power levels and charge / drain rates and I guess that there would be that certain tasks that require balancing energy usage from your chemical batteries before they are depleted in the later missions. Don't know yet if there are ways to recharge. It's interesting but not for everyone. Interesting enough I had the game freeze on me twice and waited and waited and waited.... before the three finger salute Ctrl+Alt+Del restarted the game.

My initial thoughts coming from a Flight Sim enthusiast...... Well just like there are people that are vegetarians and there are people who like a medium rare wagyu rump with a side of hand cut fries, mushrooms swimming in a red wine jus. Take On Mars just doesn't have enough meat to satisfy me. Do your own due diligence and make an informed decision. Read the reviews, watch other videos and then make a purchase or not decision. I 'm not satisfied. If I want a space sim, Kerbal Space Program has that creativity streak that Take On Mars doesn't. Would I play Take On Mars often? Only if my Warthog HOTAS was stolen, and every other computer game I owned was destroyed and it was raining outside and it was a Saturday in June. Aside from that, sure I will play it.

Another thing, what is early access, an alpha, beta or in-between? Call it what it is - an Alpha....

Thanks go to my grade 10 Science teacher Mr Clewett -- You were right, I would use the knowledge of the first twenty elements in the periodic table in my life time. :)

Score: 2/10

Game play chapters:

00:30 Game Time / Real Time decision

03:02 Margaritaville

04:38 Go to the Lab

05:02 Construction

09:05 Test Vehicle outside in the carpark.

13:39 Launch

19:54 Gas Capture

20:27 Gas Analysis

23:38 Smile!

30:27 Rim 01 completed

31:20 Disconnect

-urp_oN_ZCY

Edited by redfish
spellung mishtakes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AEF 161 Squadron CO ~~~ My YouTube Channel ~~~ "We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering." The Shoveller ... Mystery Men

Thanks for the review. I had watched Scott Manley's video yesterday and did not even make it all the way through before deciding against this one.

Now if only it had some guns on it and Aliens trying to attack then it really would be a bit more entertaining methinks.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

It's great if you've an interest in astronomy. Supposedly the terrain is a hand built reconstruction of the martial surface from images and data sent back by the various Mars missions; that alone makes this worthy of the price of admission.

The (light) sim has a great atmosphere and when the modders get to it I expect it'll be amazing. I can't imagine it being long before someone mods in a time delay dependent on the real world position of Mars!

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

I can't imagine it being long before someone mods in a time delay dependent on the real world position of Mars!

There you go, a mod to make the game take go slower. I'll pass.

There you go, a mod to make the game take go slower. I'll pass.

I can see where you're coming from if you treat these games as fun for fun's sake. I spend a lot of time reading about and following the curiosity rover and space travel/astronomy are real passions for me, so the reason I seek realism is because it's like a virtual learning tool; I likely wouldn't clock up hundreds of hours, but even 5-6 hours of full realism make reading about the space missions that little bit more familiar, if that makes sense?

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

I can see where you're coming from if you treat these games as fun for fun's sake. I spend a lot of time reading about and following the curiosity rover and space travel/astronomy are real passions for me, so the reason I seek realism is because it's like a virtual learning tool; I likely wouldn't clock up hundreds of hours, but even 5-6 hours of full realism make reading about the space missions that little bit more familiar, if that makes sense?

Actually, I do get it. From that perspective it does look very interesting (like Universe Sandbox) but from an entertainment standpoint I find it lacking. Perhaps when it is more fleshed out and there is some documentation.

Btw, Scott Manley just posted an interview with the developer on his YouTube page. I have not watched it yet but I will.

• Like 1

Actually, I do get it. From that perspective it does look very interesting (like Universe Sandbox) but from an entertainment standpoint I find it lacking. Perhaps when it is more fleshed out and there is some documentation.

Btw, Scott Manley just posted an interview with the developer on his YouTube page. I have not watched it yet but I will.

Just watching it now, thanks for heads up - big fan of him, his Kerbal stuff is fantastic. I completely agree regarding the lack of content at the moment. For me, what would be really great would be if as you discovered and performed more science you were introduced to more and more real facts about Mars which Nasa have uncovered (effectively turning the game into a full learning experience). At the moment the "Pre release" filler screen is a little underwhelming!

Linking the video for others.

More gameplay from Scott Manley.

• 1 year later...

The game has evolved a lot since last year.

If some of you were skeptical at first I highly suggest you to take another look at it.

After spending the whole night building my base I've just witnessed another Mars Sunrise.

Almost a spiritual/philosophical experience.

No kidding :idiot:

Latest update :

Edited by Eight Ball

Nice update. I haven't been keeping up with this so I will definitely have another look.

EDIT: I accidentally took more than just a look. :D

I still don't know what I am doing but it is looking rather interesting.

TKOM2014-11-2602-23-44-28_zps2375ab59.jpg

Edited by cichlidfan

My first lander. Unfortunately, that's my EAS module rolling away after dislodging during a not so soft landing. :D

brokeneasonmars_zps5714b342.jpg

Edited by cichlidfan