Help with memory upgrade

Hi,

I'm looking into buying some more memory for my "old" X58 board, Been reading a bit elsewhere online about this, but wanted to see if anyone here have any views on this. I found the following online:

Quote:

"With the Core i7, the days of fast memory or extreme bandwidth are over. There's simply no need to pay a premium for extreme memory timings or speed. The Core i7 is not bottlenecked at all by memory no matter what timing or speed you're using. Sure you might see a few points difference in a synthetic benchmark, but in the real world its completely negligible. Never before with a CPU archeticure has memory been so not important. Spend your money elsewhere, faster CPU, faster hard drive, faster video card, all are better investments with far more return on your dollar."

End Quote.

My board has Tripple Channel possibilities, but i dont really know alot about the advantages or disadvantages of trippel or dual, but all i do know is that i have to get memory chips which makes me able to run at my OC potential (see sig). I guess speed of the chips doesn't matter that much as quoted above and i think i can infact verify that as i now do run my mem at 1066 MHz default timings and if i run between 1333 and 1600 i dont see any less or better practical performance difference.

If you have any suggestions, experience and or have this board with more than 6 GB, would like ot hear what i should do regarding go to 12, 16 or 24 GB and also the brand and specs. Also am not sure the mem have is called the same or even sold still.

Edited by xracer

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is something for a start:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=110654

As for the brands - get the original Hynix or Samsung modules - there is no need for heatsinks, low timings or high memory speed... unless you are running WinRar all the time :-)

AMD Ryzen 3600, Biostar Racing B850GT3, AMD Rx 580 8Gb, 16384 DDR4 2900, Hitachi 7K3000 2Tb, Samsung SM961 256Gb SSD, Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, Samsung S24F350 24'

Here is something for a start:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=110654

As for the brands - get the original Hynix or Samsung modules - there is no need for heatsinks, low timings or high memory speed... unless you are running WinRar all the time :-)

But i am running Winrar all the time...just kidding ;). Am not sure actually what kind of modules i can get around here, dont think i have seen these you mention. But basically what your saying is that its not so crucial what i buy? There is a shop i MAY be able to return them if they trouble my OC. Guess i just take my chances then. Go for a 3 x 4GB set maybe if i find it.

Thanks for the link though!

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]