UVW Map Modifier or UVW unwrap

Hi Guys,

can I use the UVW Map modifier for "Quick-texturing" or must I unwrap everything by UNWRAP UVW ? Sometimes UVW MAP is quicker ...

I took a look at the UVW's in the PSD's of the A-10C and everything is unwraped. Just wondering.

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

Lead 3D Artist - TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BO-105 PAH1A1/VBH / HKP-9A / BO-105 CBS-5 KLH

Eurofighter Typhoon

https://www.facebook.com/PolyDynamicsDCS/

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

Mainboard: Asus STRIX Z390-F

CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 64 Gb

Graphics: MSI GForce GTX 980 TI 4GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

Oculus Rift / Oculus Touch

Heavy Metal is the law ! :punk:

I use the unwrap uvw modifier to move, scale and position the vertices on the Texture map.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Im using Unwrap UVW too. UV Map might be quick, but its not efficient and a pain to draw a texture. Essentially all of the functions of UV Map are in Unwrap UVW too, but I would personally do it all by hand, because Max can't tell what sections of the texture are up close to the player and therefore need to be scaled larger on the UV. Also there isnt yet any Algorithm that can effectively place all the UV islands so youre not wasting UV Space. That said, I dont know how experienced you are with Unwrapping (although your work so far indicates you know your stuff). The best places to gain knowledge on such subjects and ask specific questions are dedicated 3d Art forums, such as polycount. Have a look there if we cant help you :)

Im using Unwrap UVW too. UV Map might be quick, but its not efficient and a pain to draw a texture. Essentially all of the functions of UV Map are in Unwrap UVW too, but I would personally do it all by hand, because Max can't tell what sections of the texture are up close to the player and therefore need to be scaled larger on the UV. Also there isnt yet any Algorithm that can effectively place all the UV islands so youre not wasting UV Space. That said, I dont know how experienced you are with Unwrapping (although your work so far indicates you know your stuff). The best places to gain knowledge on such subjects and ask specific questions are dedicated 3d Art forums, such as polycount. Have a look there if we cant help you :)

Yes I know - the thing is that I hate skinning :D. Just wanted to ask if the easier way is permitted :thumbup:. Thank you guys :thumbup:

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eurofighter Typhoon

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

I was unaware I could do it inside unwrap.

I was using UVWMAP, Setting it to FIT, aligning it, then changing the Gizmo to Equal Dimentions (1,1; 2,2 etc) so the Gizmo was square,the loading in UVW Unwrap and scaling, moving from there, then tweak vertices, export the UVW Wireframe Map to load into photoshop.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I took a look at the unwrapped mesh (A-10C) in photoshop (first layer) and I was confused how they get the texture seamless on the model, because the unwrapping (from my point of view) is sometimes very grubby. I mean overlapping faces and stuff :huh:.

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eurofighter Typhoon

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

I took a look at the unwrapped mesh (A-10C) in photoshop (first layer) and I was confused how they get the texture seamless on the model, because the unwrapping (from my point of view) is sometimes very grubby. I mean overlapping faces and stuff :huh:.

You can select and move individual vertices and Polygons in the UVWUNWRAP window.

Then you can apply a checker pattern to Align everything. there's also the "Flatten" option, that does it automatically, then you can just select individual polygons/segments and move them closer/compress them.

Unwrapping is the biggest PITA in 3D modeling. They need a Staples "That Was Easy" button to automatically render it unwrapped. :D

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Unwrapping is the biggest PITA in 3D modeling. They need a Staples "That Was Easy" button to automatically render it unwrapped. :D

Or a Simple, PAINT THIS MESH Mode.

hit the Button, and you mouse pointer turns into a paint brush, paint the mesh and automatically export the UVW MAP In a FLAT Mode, then you just have to condense them.

Unwrap...relax...stitch...relax..relax :wallbash:

Or simply doing this job in Mudbox.

Edited by The_Fragger

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eurofighter Typhoon

Windows 10 (x64)