1.2.5. Update Ranting

BiBa

It's obvious from many Forums that the latest update was a real catastrophe on many levels...

Priorities should always be in the first place for system stability & performance and not grabbing User's Patches by the tail to jam them in one after the other until the belly bursts! The programmers should take their time testing the "digestibility" of any Add-On to avoid any system constipation before serving it us on the table.

I would like to know how to go back to the last 1.2.4.12913 update. I couldn't find any clue on the Home page. If this option doesn't really exists, well then it's about time to set a link for it just for cases like this bad update.

On page two you'll find the Tip how to re-install DCS to the prior version

Late Edit

On 12 August there was a new Update to 1.2.5.

When posting, Please refer to as "12 August" 1.2.5

Edited by Biba

BiBa...............BigBang

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

Calm down and take a breather. I'm sure ED will take your advice and maybe even pay you for your epic wisdom and experience.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 3930K @ 4.7Ghz | 980ti | 32gb Ram | Windows 10 64 bit | 840 Pro SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog | VKB Gunfighter Pro | Slaw Device RX Viper | Acer Predator X34

...Try the search feature next time :P

Update like this should be easily done from the main DCS Update site and safely executed without a CMD hussle, and without the trouble to search for it on the Forum, where you never can be sure if it's just a Lyre's recommendation, as long as it's not branded with a Support signature.

Thanks for the Tip anyway...

Edited by Biba

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

Welcome to DCS World :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Let me know if the rollback to 1.2.4 goes well. As long as ED keeps that feature alive i think you can relax more. What you loose of playingtime doing all this corrections is another matter :) I myself have set up my system so i can change between 1.2.4 and 1.2.5 in like less than 2 mins.

Edited by xracer

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now you are just whining for whinings sake.

...My criticism is definitely to be labeled as "Nagging" and should be done constantly & loud enough to avoid hustled irregular programming that leads to such total crashes. Finally the Programmer themselves are going to end whining for their hustle, because they'll be spending double the time they thought they have spared by this early update release, into reprogramming and dealing with crash support. :megalol:

Let me know if the rollback to 1.2.4 goes well. As long as ED keeps that feature alive i think you can relax more. What you loose of playing time doing all this corrections is another matter :) I myself have set up my system so i can change between 1.2.4 and 1.2.5 in like less than 2 mins.

It seems working now as I can start my Ka-50 without any crashes.

To spare time in search, this is how to reset DCS to the prior version which also only requires a few minutes typing:

Start/search/CMD (Command Prompt), CMD Command Window opens

Type: CD\

ENTER Key

Type: CD Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bin\

ENTER Key

Type: dcs_updater.exe update :1.2.4

ENTER KEY

That post has not a constructive critic or nothing can help to the develop rate, please, can be move to chit chat section?.

+1 especially since most "catastrophic" bugs are already fixed, already worked on or at least known. Additional complaints won't speed up anything. Bug reports and root cause analysis may do.:thumbup:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

...Bug reports and root cause analysis may do.:thumbup:

Here is my link to a constructive root cause analysis with crash file topiced yesterday:

ED Forums » English » Digital Combat Simulator » DCS: Ka-50 Black Shark » Bugs and Problems » Ka-50 Crash at mission start

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=110619

Their is no bigger catastrophe than having a crash on Flight start! I couldn't validate those other fixed bugs as I was constantly faced with crashes. All experienced Senior Members should consider that there is a lot of Rookies out there who are totally overwhelmed with this information overload of how to fix things. Rebooting their attitude to the novice perception ability might help understanding beginner's frustration...

Edited by Biba

It seems working now as I can start my Ka-50 without any crashes.

To spare time in search, this is how to reset DCS to the prior version which also only requires a few minutes typing:

Start/search/CMD (Command Prompt), CMD Command Window opens

Type: CD\

ENTER Key

Type: CD Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bin\

ENTER Key

Type: dcs_updater.exe update :1.2.4

ENTER KEY

Yes i know Biba, but thanks for the tip anyway. Only thing is that you have excluded download time and server access in your calculations which i dont need by having 2 versions installed all the time. I have the space for it still.

And to you other critics here...do not flame Biba for what he brings up here. Its legitimate stuff, Period! Moving it to the Chit-Chat section maybe right, but i guess the forums arent too clean anyway about where things are put as treads often need to bring up different point of views to clarify things unless locked by a scheme. The section is btw. called "Bugs and Problems"

Edited by xracer

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...by having 2 versions installed all the time. I have the space for it still.

Do you have two discs with two different application system? If not, can you share with us how you've done that!

+1 especially since most "catastrophic" bugs are already fixed, already worked on or at least known. Additional complaints won't speed up anything. Bug reports and root cause analysis may do.:thumbup:

That has turned into a debatable thing if you read what major stuttering problems more and more MP players starts to report. Major stuttering affects whatever approach you take in the sim. Allthough it doesn't seem like the more "experienced" members yet have reported stutters, there have been changes in how let say the structures pop into view when getting close.

Edited by xracer

System spec:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do you have two discs with two different application system? If not, can you share with us how you've done that!

I guess the tread will be moved, but it quite easy.

I renamed my ED folder to something else and packed it including the "Saved Games" folder as a separate zip and stored it on a non SSD disk first. Then unintalled 1.2.4 through Control Panel. You may need to clean away a couple of files after. Then i installed 1.2.5 on the same SSD under the ED name as usual. Then unpacked back the 1.2.4 archive (Make sure the containng folder has a different name than the installed 1.2.5!). So now I have 2 "Saved Games" folders ready in its usual location with different names (like "Saved Games" and "Saved Games 1.2.4") and 2 ED folders also with different names which i just switch between when needed. But note if your not feeling right about messing with this dont do it. But to be able to do these things you need to keep you Torrent downoads available Its handly. And note i dont use the DCSUpdater at all. Will do later when the sim is in better condition...Another thing in this is the "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\DCS" folder. It may play tricks on you as its used for temp files. I usually clean it too before i do installs, BUT it could be critcal if you use DCSupdater sometimes later as it also stores info about DCS current state. Also i use a program called "Total Commander" for disk work. Nothing on earth is better to do jobs like this IF you like the way it operates. Doing it like this isn't at all optimal, but serves ok for testing purposes. Also iI hate using UAC so i dont', even if a security treat, messes up alot of installs for ppl in my opinion.

Edited by xracer

System spec:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is my link to a constructive root cause analysis with crash file topiced yesterday:

ED Forums » English » Digital Combat Simulator » DCS: Ka-50 Black Shark » Bugs and Problems » Ka-50 Crash at mission start

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=110619

Their is no bigger catastrophe than having a crash on Flight start! I couldn't validate those other fixed bugs as I was constantly faced with crashes. All experienced Senior Members should consider that there is a lot of Rookies out there who are totally overwhelmed with this information overload of how to fix things. Rebooting their attitude to the novice perception ability might help understanding beginner's frustration...

I meant no offense!

I totally understand, but just as an example for me it does not crash after the hotfix. Tried with KA-50 Missions, old and new ones.

I couldn't find the "6 Lakes" mission you referenced, so a one-on-one comparison is not possible.

At the moment it is not obvious, if it is additional bugs or an issue with your installation, or the mission file(s).

Most issues are related to Triggers or Actions in the Mission files get messed up.

Ah by the way, another odd thing a new community member might miss, it is advised to load old missions created with previous versions into the Mission Editor and save them (use a different name to be able to convert back). So the "compiler" updates all scripts and triggers.

I know it is not so nice to have these infos spread all over the forum, but even if it was in the manual most people will never read it.

At last think about the positive aspects: Unlike Battlefield or Call of Duty type products, ED is actually fixing and improving things for DCS World. Where others simply sell you a "new" Game consisting of some nice new graphic effects and a few bug fixes, then move on to the "next" release when the problems mean to require ressources and let you pay again, ED is giving us DCS World for free.

Usually it doesn't take long to fix issues and get it going again, most of the time with valuable improvements.

Maybe, I would like something of a simple button to revert the installed version to aprevious one, in case an update messed things up. :music_whistling:

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I guess the tread will be moved, but it quite easy.

I renamed my ED folder to something else and packed it including the "Saved Games" folder as a separate zip and stored it on a non SSD disk first. Then unintalled 1.2.4 through Control Panel. You may need to clean away a couple of files after. Then i installed 1.2.5 on the same SSD under the ED name as usual. Then unpacked back the 1.2.4 archive (Make sure the containng folder has a different name than the installed 1.2.5!). So now I have 2 "Saved Games" folders ready in its usual location with different names (like "Saved Games" and "Saved Games 1.2.4") and 2 ED folders also with different names which i just switch between when needed. But note if your not feeling right about messing with this dont do it. But to be able to do these things you need to keep you Torrent downoads available Its handly. And note i dont use the DCSUpdater at all. Will do later when the sim is in better condition...Another thing in this is the "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\DCS" folder. It may play tricks on you as its used for temp files. I usually clean it too before i do installs, BUT it could be critcal if you use DCSupdater sometimes later as it also stores info about DCS current state. Also i use a program called "Total Commander" for disk work. Nothing on earth is better to do jobs like this IF you like the way it operates. Doing it like this isn't at all optimal, but serves ok for testing purposes. Also iI hate using UAC so i dont', even if a security treat, messes up alot of installs for ppl in my opinion.

Most simple way for a dual install is:

• Copy(!) the complete DCS World folder under C:\ProgramFiles\EagleDynamics\ into this same Folder so you get an additional C:\ProgramFiles\EagleDynamics\Copy of DCS World folder (may ask for Admin privilege for the copy job)
  • rename this to the current Version (e.g. "DCS World124")
  • make a backup of the user saved games\DCS World folder, just in case... usually these files are not messed with by the updates
  • edit the start icons on desktop to the new folder for DCS World124 and rename them to "DCS World 1.2.4"
  • now update the original Version through auto updater to 1.2.5

Should do the trick and you can play both versions in parallel...:thumbup:

Next Update simply repeat the process, so you may have multiple versions in parallel as you like.

Anyway, always keep a backup of your Joystick Configurations, your own and downloaded mission files in a safe place. If your harddrive dies, everything dies with it!:D

Shagrat

I had tryed your "6 lake" mission and no crash at all. All runs fine with A-10C and Ka-50. No problems and flying is soft and sweet.

i did not found any noticeable change in FPS with 1.2.5 version, either stutter.

Clean install of the new version and also any tweak or mod is made using new 1.2.5 files instead of overwritting new files with my old edited ones.

So for me all runs perfect.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Most simple way for a dual install is:

• Copy(!) the complete DCS World folder under C:\ProgramFiles\EagleDynamics\ into this same Folder so you get an additional C:\ProgramFiles\EagleDynamics\Copy of DCS World folder (may ask for Admin privilege for the copy job)
  • rename this to the current Version (e.g. "DCS World124")
  • make a backup of the user saved games\DCS World folder, just in case... usually these files are not messed with by the updates
  • edit the start icons on desktop to the new folder for DCS World124 and rename them to "DCS World 1.2.4"
  • now update the original Version through auto updater to 1.2.5

Should do the trick and you can play both versions in parallel...:thumbup:

Next Update simply repeat the process, so you may have multiple versions in parallel as you like.

Anyway, always keep a backup of your Joystick Configurations, your own and downloaded mission files in a safe place. If your harddrive dies, everything dies with it!:D

That looks definately also as an alternative, good to know and hope we can continue to have this option. That would be up to ED in the future. Important ting here is also to clearly state that if someone feel uncomfortable doing stuff like this they probable shouldnt. And yes backing up to the same drive isnt all that safe ;)

At last think about the positive aspects: Unlike Battlefield or Call of Duty type products, ED is actually fixing and improving things for DCS World. Where others simply sell you a "new" Game consisting of some nice new graphic effects and a few bug fixes, then move on to the "next" release when the problems mean to require ressources and let you pay again, ED is giving us DCS World for free.

Usually it doesn't take long to fix issues and get it going again, most of the time with valuable improvements.

That is definately true. ED is actually supplying a complete sim for free. Ppl should keep that in mind. Of course some get angry cause they have also invested alot in modules. Thats a bit undertandable, but for me i wouldnt call it alot even if having all modules) looking at the great planes we get to choose from. The sim is getting quite complex so problems will always be there to improve.

Edited by xracer

System spec:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I personally like the direction ED/DCS is going..a core engine and then purchase the addon module's you want only...Kudo's ED/DCS...Kudo's :thumbup:

I was not talking about the FC Series. I partly agree, but that is compared to MS FSX and Add-ons pretty much a bargain. As well, they don't have to pay anything to Ubisoft to use their engine, only the Planes in LockOn are an issue. Crytek also did not sell their CryEngine to the Publisher... no game developer would!

But back to Eagle Dynamics and the way they offer DCS World.

As I see it, ED put the DCS World idea into a very acceptable business model, learning from FC2/3 complaints etc. (just to mention -FC3 gets updated aswell every time, F-15C, SU-27, A-10A, SU-25T), so I think no other alternative on the market is pushing out upgrades of already bought contetn for free! The usual trend is to have "ingame purchases"... Let's say a red or blue scarf or a better compass costs you money (Rise of Flight). Would ED follow this path, an upgraded R-27ET may cost you as would the new liveries for the SU-25T or additional Bombs like the CBU-97 for American planes.

ED offers the WHOLE simulation part including Mission Editor and the SU-25T for free. The new Engine is first used with Nevada to its full extent, but some effects are already parts of the ongoign updates, or do you think these new explosions, dynamic smoke, real time cockpit shadows were done without people working on it?

All this was integrated into DCS World and is constantly upgraded now, for years. If you paid once for the A-10C you did not need to buy it again for DCS World, same with Black Shark 2... Electronic Arts or Ubisoft would have you paid for the "new" DCS: A-10C 2 ("now compatible to DCS World, Including brand new missions and the intricate CBU-97!").:music_whistling:

All in all, I think DCS is a bargain, compared to overprized crap like "Battlefield X" or COD "Modern Warfare 2/3/4/5/..." Which more resamble a reaction test to hit the right button in time to cater XBOX and Playstation controllers. Even MS Flight Simulator X was at US$ 140.00 when it was new, and you had to pay US$ 60.00 for the Acceleration Pack to get the graphics they showed on the original box.

So US$ 0.00 for DCS World plus US$ 49.95 for a DCS Level Module (and much less during sales) is not really something to mourn about!

I for one, am happy that they don't change there Business model to maximize revenue, but still are part of a Sim community and trying to offer us the best flight simulation there currently is. :thumbup:

And if you think abiout it, the way ED opens DCS World for 3rd parties, and constantly improving DCS is not too bad, or do you know any better alternative? I don't.

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

...I couldn't find the "6 Lakes" mission you referenced, so a one-on-one comparison is not possible. At the moment it is not obvious, if it is additional bugs or an issue with your installation, or the mission file(s). Most issues are related to Triggers or Actions in the Mission files get messed up.

...It was in the attachment in: Game Crash/Crash at mission start

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=110611

With the zip is also a crash file. I don't think in my case it did have anything to do with Triggers as by choosing the A-10C it was OK, but when I choose the Ka-50 to fly, there is always a game crash. For programmer it is revealing to know that other Users like "Esac_mirmidon" are not having the same problems, so I assume the problem lies behind the difference of Windows system.

I had tryed your "6 lake" mission and no crash at all. All runs fine with A-10C and Ka-50. No problems and flying is soft and sweet.

i did not found any noticeable change in FPS with 1.2.5 version, either stutter.

Clean install of the new version and also any tweak or mod is made using new 1.2.5 files instead of overwritting new files with my old edited ones.

So for me all runs perfect.

Can you edit your reply by adding info on your Win system etc. like the info in my signature, I think ED Programmer would be interested to know why some had problems with the Update and others not. Also read my reply above to "shagrat".

Edited signature. I have the same OS than you Biba, but no crash at all.

Maybe it´s another thing.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4