DCS World SU-25 Review

redfish

Hi Guys,

Another video, this one highlighting the new standalone Su-25 just released by Eagle Dynamics. Download and installed with no problems, which is good as I always have this tiny worry at the back of my mind, that the install will crash and you have to go down the path of actually reading the dreaded instructions or worse still, log a ticket with tech support. Run the executable and after a minute, the software auto-detects firewall software configures and generates a firewall rule which I allow my machine access too. Loaded up quickly and shows in the module manager with my serial key. Loaded multi-player and jumped into the first one. No, Su25. Disconnected and jumped into the second multi-player server, no Su-25..... Disconnect and load up mission editor added the Su-25 and hosted a mission myself. Into the pit and the texture maps show the usual DCS quality, expertly 'scuffed' sky blue and bottle green paint look great. Did a few touch and go's (badly), crashed and burned in the first and busted a tyre in the second one. I need to actually spend some time and map key bindings to the hotas and pedals. Important things like toe brakes and deploying air brakes.... Flew some formation with my fellow squadron bud -- Cobra in the A-10C. Did a cool little diving vertical scissors at 7mins 47secs in formation which surprised me, either I was flying really well or Cobra was fooling with me, I suspect the later, as he is a legendary pilot. Anyway the footage looks great from my perspective. Tried to get track footage but kept getting a CTD when attempting to view track file.

The team at Eagle Dynamics have created a kick ass strike/attack aircraft that will readily teach lessons in humble pie to anyone in the CAS and anti-tank roles. There are not many other aircraft that can take a punch and still keep flying *see bullet magnet*, this one will. Turbojets will considerably shorten the ETA, TOT and any other related three letter acronym, in comparison to the A-10C. As an A-10C pilot for the better part of two years, the conversion flying a Rook is not going to be everyone's cup of tea, that being said, in the right hands caressing the hotas, it is a deadly beast and any tank on the ground will not have a good day as they become intimate with the pointy end of 30mm cannon fire, rockets, missiles or blunt force trauma from bombs.

Worth the purchase for the SEAD abilities in any MP mission.

Scored: 7/10

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AEF 161 Squadron CO ~~~ My YouTube Channel ~~~ "We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering." The Shoveller ... Mystery Men

Worth the purchase for the SEAD abilities in any MP mission.

SEAD abilities ? Did you really fly with Su25A? :smilewink:

We spend a lot of time in Su25A but you can't attack targets which are defend by AAA...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.....Vladimir, let's go to Sukhoi.......

Beg to differ,

I have flown SEAD missions in the Su-25A, F-15C, A-10C, P-51D, Ka-50 & UH-1H against AAA and SAM's.

Turbojets are great to get you into trouble quick smart and out of trouble just as fast Wild Weasel like :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AEF 161 Squadron CO ~~~ My YouTube Channel ~~~ "We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering." The Shoveller ... Mystery Men

To be honest it is a pilots plane - no Autopilot - you have to fly it and fight with it yourself. The best fun I've ever had was with the Su-25 campaign in FC2 when it was released. Hands on all the way. It was a test of skill. It remains my favourite aircraft in DCS.

Nate

Not naysaying, just genuinely curious... what does the Su-25A bring to the table that the T doesn't?

It is, from what I've understood, less of a pig to fly than the T-frog.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

Beg to differ,

I have flown SEAD missions in the Su-25A, F-15C, A-10C, P-51D, Ka-50 & UH-1H against AAA and SAM's.

Turbojets are great to get you into trouble quick smart and out of trouble just as fast Wild Weasel like :)

No ofense, but I would love to see how you attack Tunguska or Osa with Su25A.

What kind of weapon do you choose, unguided rockets, S25-L with fire range 2 -5 Km ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, vanilla 25 is quite faster and more agile than its more advanced brother 25T brick.

However 25 is mostly useless except flight training without any help, raw skill.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Not naysaying, just genuinely curious... what does the Su-25A bring to the table that the T doesn't?

More fun than you can imagine. Navigation is awasome. You have only 3 WPs and HSI. No HUD.

Difference vs Su25T

+Very nice 3D cockpit

+ Faster more agile

+ More odlschool

Keep in mind that in Su25A you can't fly mission designed for A10C or Su25T. You have only MK 1 eyeball instead of TGP or schkval and no anti radar missiles. Your AA oponents - Vulcans - Gepards etc...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't agree, in the 159th we fly pretty much all aircraft.

And the SU-25 is an great and very capable platform, if used well.

This means you would need to co-op whit KA-50, A-10C or SU-25T to do the target spotting for you.

But the SU-25 is very capable of taking out sams and even ships when loaded up whit a couple of KH-25ML's

Most fun is laying down giant rocket barrages on the enemy though.

As for the review, its a nice video, but doesn't really show a whole lot about the SU-25.

Top tip of the day, try a landing speed of between 230 and 300 km/h depending on overall weight of the aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)