Leap Motion experience

My Leap arrived yesterday, and I got to install it today.

I found the software to be primitive, and it totally lacked precision. The mouse emulator is bad, and it barely worked on my desktop. I brought up DCS, and it's a no-go, the cursor was extremely erratic, and it was impossible to click on any switch. There is no support in the mouse emulator to assign motions so no differentiation between switch throws or dial turns even if it could find it's way across the screen.

A conversation with tech support revealed they are currently relying on camera drivers from Microsoft from 2006 with some modifications. This thing seems to still be well within beta stage.

I personally recommend holding off on it until they can get their act together with the drivers / software, and ED makes it directly compatable. At this stage it is more a toy than a serious tool. Not worth the $$ IMO.

For those of you with limited USB space, it also requires a direct connect, no going through a hub, so some rerouting may be necessary if you do decide to try it out for yourself..

• ED Team
My Leap arrived yesterday, and I got to install it today.

I found the software to be primitive, and it totally lacked precision. The mouse emulator is bad, and it barely worked on my desktop. I brought up DCS, and it's a no-go, the cursor was extremely erratic, and it was impossible to click on any switch. There is no support in the mouse emulator to assign motions so no differentiation between switch throws or dial turns even if it could find it's way across the screen.

A conversation with tech support revealed they are currently relying on camera drivers from Microsoft from 2006 with some modifications. This thing seems to still be well within beta stage.

I personally recommend holding off on it until they can get their act together with the drivers / software, and ED makes it directly compatable. At this stage it is more a toy than a serious tool. Not worth the $$ IMO.

For those of you with limited USB space, it also requires a direct connect, no going through a hub, so some rerouting may be necessary if you do decide to try it out for yourself..

thanks for the info,

mine has not arrived yet, and I am already disappointed :(

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

After reading this and seeing feedback on the leap motion forums I have chosen to cancel my order, and wait.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Mmmm very sorry to hear that. To be honest mine is still in its box. However I do still think it has potential. It has only just been released so is very very early days.

I'm sure in a few months we will start to see decent drivers and program's turning up for it. I must say I'm very disappointed but not surprised that almost all the apps need to be paid for.

I think for now it will stay in its box, but I'm sure it will get used once the development ramps up.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Thanks for the heads up, order cancelled for now!

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Shame... but as whartsell says.. hopefully software will improve.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Guys, it's not called Leap for nothing. Have a bit of Faith ;)

For me, the vision is still intact, even if it may take a while to get there. Never assumed it would replace the mouse or keyboard as a OS control unit. Looking forward to explore apps that are made for this, then the potential should become clearer.

Standing firm with my order.

MAC

Just got mine i'll give it a whirl when I am more awake.

Sounds like on the forum its heading in the right direction just not quite there yet.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

• ED Team

good to hear there is hope,

I am going to wait until I can see a working mouse emulation in dcs, otherwise it would just be another gadget lying around for me.

Well not that good really you need to be in the dark and its current touch system is somewhat unstable a jittery you are supposed to be able to click on stuff but I can't seem to double click on a file to open it just one to highlight it strange I think give it some time and maybe it will get better.

System Spec.

....looks at my shiney Kinect 2.0 unit :P

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

How well does it work with DCS?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Ha Ha funny man lets face it Skate when it does start working and it will you'll join the affray and that shinny Kinect will become a expensive dust collector besides Kinect takes up to much space this is just under 80mm x 25mm and I just typed this using it lol.

System Spec.

I have worked out enabling multiscreen and have clicked in helios and in cockpit its not as easy as I would have hoped but its there.

using touchless for win8 is easy but I think the movement is too fast it needs to slow down to be more usable.

overall so far I'm happy.

just waiting for the clever guys and girls to work their magic and get some class apps out there.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

Ha Ha funny man lets face it Skate when it does start working and it will you'll join the affray and that shinny Kinect will become a expensive dust collector besides Kinect takes up to much space this is just under 80mm x 25mm and I just typed this using it lol.

Kinect 2.0 for the PC looks nothing like the original Kinect.

the Kinect 2.0 Unit rests nicely on top of my 24' Acer LED Screen....

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I must check that out. Are you able to flip switches in the A-10C with your hands? Can you make a video with cam and post?

Cool I didn't even know that I take back what I said then does it work can you use it in DCS.

System Spec.

Just been using it in the Huey and it works fine for some things using windows touch app the overhead light dials turn easily certain switches can be turned on or off however to scroll is slightly difficult on the ADF to tune frequency, I think with a better app this will be an awesome addition to DCS.

System Spec.

• 2 months later...

I just tested one such device and in my opinion there is an definetly "no go". I had used also Gamewave app (best app for our purpose in the Airspace store) and even if I tuned a lot the movement precision I found using it very, very cumbersome. There is no value added for this device for DCS and to be honest this is nothing more then an useless gadget at this moment.

Having in mind its physycal limitations I dare to say this will never be able to enter in DCS world in this form. This might need to be combined with some gyrosocopic devices and some direct inputs (buttons or so).

Even in the dedicated applications on its own store (Airspace store) I found it to be very tedious.

Few days ago I have tested also an Logitech T650 touchpad which by far can be more usefull, as well as a left handed mouse, of course :D.

Edited by Abburo

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

• 1 month later...
Can this be used as a hand gesture for viewing the cockpit/zoom in and out?

Never thought of that and its probably the only use for it in DCS i will try it out on mine which has just been collecting dust since purchase as none of the apps work for DCS for moving the yellow cross.

System Spec.

Cockpit zoom can be achieved either by a headtracker, moving your head fwd or bckwd, or by a dedicated analog axis on your controller. I am using both options as DCS allows you to do that.

I would recomand you stay away from LEAP. It is simply useless. Is against human nature and human sensors expectations. The precission is just missing.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom