FC3 tutorials DCS you can do better...

Sarley

Ms Flightsim, Janes Apache longbow, Tornado, Falcon 4 was some games I played 15 years ago.. Then I discovered Girls :), and later in my life I got 2 kids and a wife.

But a year back I got more " man cave time " and started with my interest of Flightsims again. And if you want a sim there is only DCS that can deliver.

I got A-10, and really enjoyed the tutorials. Unfortunately the sim was to complicated. I did not have the spare time to learn the sim. I got interested in Flaming Cliffs 3, as on the DCS homepage said: provide an easy learning curve for new players.."

My rig was ready: Saitek X52, 27" monitor, Track IR, i5 CPU, 16GB RAM ... ...

So I jumped the gun and got FC3, at first I was just testing out the different cockpits with track IR.. COOL!

And later I wanted to learn how to fly these birds, as a happy camper I navigated to the DCS world trainer menu and pressed the download button..

WOW 3GB download started. That must be great tutorials like the A-10 I thought...

After the completed download I started up an tutorial.... Was I impressed??? I was pissed.. Some lo res. movie from an old FC release !?!...Alot of you guys can prob. fly the planes when sleepwalking, but if you are a complete noob. You need directions..

I found the FC3 manual, and looked for some keyboard layout. did I find it in the manual?? Nope.. I found an old FC layout on this forum and I think it´s the same..

The manual was interesting, I found a flight school chapter, and it did start with landing... I did find a Quick start manual.. It was how to install the game..

Come on DCS you can do better..

So I need some advice, links etc.. to training material..

Help would be kindly appreciated.

+1 !!!

It's the same here, until now every bad-weather-landing is russian roulette.. sometimes the ILS works, most times it just directs me to the nirvana (e.g. 50m beside the runway...).

The same with using the radar and fire rockets.. in good old Jane's USAF an AIM-120C got a range about 22nm. In FC3 it's nearly the same like a sidewinder... in good cases 7nm.. I don't think this is normal for a medium-range-missile. This are just 2 examples, I think I've teached myself many wrong things so I just don't fly even the F-15C the right way.

All I know I've teached myself, from Youtube or with many hours in several forums. A really step-by-step Tutorial like "ILS-Landing for dumbos" or "shooting down enemy planes for Noobs" would be very, very good. Jane's USAF did this the best way, I've never saw anything else like this.

A huge flight-school-text is nice to read in bed for background knowledge about aviation, but ingame I need a fixed "Checklist" how to do things right...

Attacking ground units with the A-10C and so on ... ha ha ha ... I don't even think so far, I'm glad if I get this beauty started, fly some rounds and the set it back to ground in one piece...

So as said, a Nice Noob-Tutorial with "press here, then there, and then over there" like done for the startup-procedure of the A-10C would be very nice for FC3.:pilotfly:

Ms Flightsim, Janes Apache longbow, Tornado, Falcon 4 was some games I played 15 years ago.. Then I discovered Girls :), and later in my life I got 2 kids and a wife.

But a year back I got more " man cave time " and started with my interest of Flightsims again. And if you want a sim there is only DCS that can deliver.

I got A-10, and really enjoyed the tutorials. Unfortunately the sim was to complicated. I did not have the spare time to learn the sim. I got interested in Flaming Cliffs 3, as on the DCS homepage said: provide an easy learning curve for new players.."

My rig was ready: Saitek X52, 27" monitor, Track IR, i5 CPU, 16GB RAM ... ...

So I jumped the gun and got FC3, at first I was just testing out the different cockpits with track IR.. COOL!

And later I wanted to learn how to fly these birds, as a happy camper I navigated to the DCS world trainer menu and pressed the download button..

WOW 3GB download started. That must be great tutorials like the A-10 I thought...

After the completed download I started up an tutorial.... Was I impressed??? I was pissed.. Some lo res. movie from an old FC release !?!...Alot of you guys can prob. fly the planes when sleepwalking, but if you are a complete noob. You need directions..

I found the FC3 manual, and looked for some keyboard layout. did I find it in the manual?? Nope.. I found an old FC layout on this forum and I think it´s the same..

The manual was interesting, I found a flight school chapter, and it did start with landing... I did find a Quick start manual.. It was how to install the game..

Come on DCS you can do better..

So I need some advice, links etc.. to training material..

Help would be kindly appreciated.

I feel for ya. I too got back into the DCS sims after hearing about the summer sale and the 6DOF cockpits and was a disappointed that the trainers for the aircraft weren't as polished as the A-10C module.

However, the trainers are sufficient to get you going with the basics as the key commands haven't changed much. You can't take control at any point, but you can create a mission that has the same components, as the training scenarios are quite simple.

Once you have the commands for the basics, it's just a matter of putting it into practice to become more fluid with it.

The A-10C trainer has nice icons to indicate which switches and knobs to turn. None of the FC3 aircraft have clickable cockpits; so you remove the nice visuals from the equation and you are essentially just watching a video.

I started playing the Su-25 campaign, couldn't pass the first mission, when and created a simplified mission based off of the campaign mission and kept playing it over and over again, until I felt comfortable.

I still haven't passed the first mission of the campaign (yes it's sad), but I'm getting better at it. My problem is that I can't figure out how to tell my wingman to use his missiles to kill the mission target. Instead he goes off and kills whatever he sees first, leaving me with rockets to take out IFVs that shoot at me when I get a good solution to fire rockets at them.

314-я смешанная авиационная дивизия

314th Mixed Aviation Division: The "Fighting Lemmings"- Forums: http://314thsquadron.enjin.com/ - ED Forum Group: http://forums.eagle.ru/group.php?groupid=119

Try to search for your Training Video Name in Youtube, i often found the Videos there in higher resolution, Uploader Name is EagleDCS or similar

Specs:

System: Asus Z170-E, I7 6700K, 16GB DDR4, Asus GTX1070 8GB, 1TB M2 SSD + 2x 250GB SSD,TrackIR, TM Warthog, Saitek Rudder

Modules: A-10C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, F5E, M2000, AJS37, AV8b, F18C

+1

haha...I've done the same thing, I spent a lot of time download that freakn training video, after I finished the download, I was really really shocked :shocking:

and then, I found that ED have upload these training video on the Youtube...

here

Yeah, I agree that ED can create a much better training "Mission", not just these low resolution video

but I think ED just don't want to do it all over again

The pig is flying!

"A-10 Thunderbolt ll"

I def agree the "built in" tutorials are out of date. Thats why i brought up my youtube and depended on the community. Fortunately, the community delivered... Thanks to all contributors since you saves my virtual ass!!! :D

Asus z170 motherboard; Intel i5-6600K OCd to 4,5GHz; Corsair 32GB DDR4 3000MHz; ASUS Cerberus 1070 Ti; Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD; Schiit Valhalla 2 headphone amp w/ Bifrost multibit DAC and Sennheiser 650 headphones; HP Reverb; Saitek x65-F; TrackIR5

For a list of keyboard commands, launch DCS go to Options and click on the "Controls" tab

Select the Aircraft you are interested in and and click "Make HTML" on the lower right of the screen.

This will create HTML pages for each device you have connected in Saved Games\DCS\InputLayoutsTxt\<Aircraft>

For keys click on the Keyboard.html

This is better IMHO than having them listed in the manual as this will be specific to your computer/device/configuration

+1

Yeah, I agree that ED can create a much better training "Mission", not just these low resolution video

but I think ED just don't want to do it all over again

But they will release new FC versions...:music_whistling:

• 5 months later...

Thanks Wags

I plan to re-do all the FC3 aircraft training missions myself once I have time in my schedule.

I just spent all night going through most of the missions in the FC3 training to refresh my rusty Flanker2.x knowledge about those aircraft, most is the same

and came right back to my mind but I have to admit, I wished there were some A10C style tutorials, especialy for the complex A2A engagement modes.

Keep up the good work Wags, you definitly got 1 customer back that turned his back to Flanker2.x a over a decade ago. I gave myself and DCS a 2nd chance and I have yet to regret it. I eventually bought all modules, some twice as I already got the A10a and Su25a as a seperate Module before I got a copy of LOMAC on ebay and FC3 from the online shop.

Thanks for your superb videos on YT... your new Traing videos/missions will be welcome by any absolute beginner to Virtual Aerial Combat.

My head smokes after all those lessons.....6am gawd need a YT WWII dogfight video to crash out.

My job....almost forgotten... I play DCS

My weight.... forgot to eat---I play DCS

My wife.... no comment... I play DCS

My son.... well, he understood and flew a view sorties with his 12 years...

DCS rocks and is all we ever hoped for in the long row of flight sims that came and went... DCS is just different.

Bit

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Try : http://flankertraining.com

Based on older versions, though more than 90% of the material is still usable today. It covers both basics and advanced topics.

With Ironhand's permission, I've taken many of those videos and integrated them into the Su-25T and FC3 training menus.

They can be found at LOF

Su-25T Videos

FC3 Videos (note that this "download" just includes a link to the 8 part archive)

• Like 1

Keyboard Layout

Nice to know that i´m not the only one that feel like DCS should put some energy making some noob training in a new release..

is there a FC3 keyboard layout?

For an overview of key commands:

- Start singleplayer

- go to "OPTIONS"

- go to "CONTROLS"

- select your desired A/C or Module on the top left layer selector

- select "ALL" on the next layer selector

- click "MAKE HTML" on the bottom right

note: DCS will jump into explorer where several .html will be written down.

as soon as you close the explorer, you will be brought to DCS back again.

- take a look at keyboard.html (e.g. for printing)

I plan to re-do all the FC3 aircraft training missions myself once I have time in my schedule.

Even though this would be the best thing since sliced bread. Im find that Im unable to read this statement with a straight face....:megalol:

Even though this would be the best thing since sliced bread. Im find that Im unable to read this statement with a straight face....:megalol:

You do realize that the Su-25T missions were revised for the latest 1.2.6 update, right?

ED has a lot on their collective plate (including upgrading 3D objects, cockpits, and flight models for FC3) so I won't hold my breath, but I'm happy to take Wags' statement at face value.

if i remember correctly. he [Wags] did all the training vids for their premier a/c. Blackshark. why would he not do this then? i am sure in his position within ED he needs to be intimate with ALL the a/c and systems. who better than wags.....

as a side note to wags. for your consideration, can you not use intercom audio, imo it would sound better.

Asus x99, i7 5930k, 32g mem, MSI 1070GTX, 970 Samsung M.2, LG 35in Ultra-Wide, TrackIR 4

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]