How to set up G940?

I just bought a second-hand G940, I've never had an FFB stick before, only regular ones like the X52, TM WH etc.

With DCS Huey or P51-D, there is a huge 'loose' area in the middle of the stick (feels like 2-3cm) which is very sensitive to input and has no resistance. Should it be like this?

When I trim, I am still able to move the stick around, why, I thought that the idea was that I shouldn't be able to move the stick unless I press the trim button again?

How am I supposed to use the trim button correctly?

Are there any guides on how to set up the G940 for DCS using the Logitech software/ FFB app?

Thanks,

Toby

Edited by toby23

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

First thing you need to do is update your G940 firmware.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=54239

After this you can adjust the sensitivity of the axes in the DCS World control options.

The stick should be able to move around in the trimmed position, trimming moves the stick and holds it in the position you want it to be in but you should be still able to maneuver.

My no.1 top tip is not to use the Logitech profiler but use the DCS controller options to assign buttons to the G940.

My second tip is personal preference, I use simFFB in Huey and in Black Shark. You should look it up and consider its benefits compared to how the stick reacts using DCS FFB in light of the G940s' draw backs. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84883

The problem is that any FFB stick used in DCS should have a a linear response curve as any curvature will screw up the Force Trim mechanism, but a linear response curve requires very very steady hands

You see there is an area around the G940 stick centre that has zero FFB which makes for very "twitchy" control in this area. Your tiny inadvertent movements in this area are translated into huge stick movements in the sim.

My third tip is to look up the "Reversal bug" and then start planning a "Bodnar mod" for the throttle and pedals axes as I have done in just the last week

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...e_picture.html

Edited by Scarecrow

I was clicking trim instead of hold and release.

Both methods are correct, every for other situation. For Huey I use tapping method, for BS the "press-hold-maneuver-release" one is more comfortable for me due to the autopilot cooperation.

Edit: You can try this easy way to extend your stick a little: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84518 It will give you some extra throw and that means more precision in controls without the need of setting axis curvature in options. Don't worry about your new stick, it's safe. I'm using it for about a year now.

Edited by Suchacz

So if I have this set up right, when I click and hold trim I should feel hardly any force, then when I release, I feel some resistance again?

When I release the trim, the stick moves slightly, position is never 100% what I selected when I release trim button.

When I test it with only simFFB it works as expected, only in-game isn't as accurate any more. Is this the correct behaviour?

But did you start SimFFB after the mission was loaded? It is important, otherwise it will not work. Or if the SimFFB is already on, Alt+Tab out of DCS and go to Options> Init DirectInput.

Edited by Suchacz

...so it should work as expected. But little sloppiness will be always there, unfortunately thats the dark side of the force of this great stick.

You can take a look at my simffb settings.

simffb.jpg.c8c52b4e7bec364eea4b9f5bc176fb07.jpg

Strange. Try this

- press and hold trim

- move the stick somewhere and stay there

- release the trim

- let your hand go off the stick

now the it should stay still in the position. Maybe it is only a matter of getting used to its behavior... In BS I can fly the trimmed machine with my hands off.

Edited by Suchacz

I've taped over the deadman sensor so the stick doesn't jump to centre when I release my hand from the stick but when I do what you said the stick still moves slightly and doesn't stay in exactly the same spot I left it in...

I can check this with the R Shift Enter red overlay.

I've taped over the deadman sensor so the stick doesn't jump to centre when I release my hand from the stick but when I do what you said the stick still moves slightly and doesn't stay in exactly the same spot I left it in...

I can check this with the R Shift Enter red overlay.

The same thing happens with mine too. It's due to the no force zone I think.