System advise for DCS series

Hi Guys,

First post on here - Hope I'm on the right thread...

For reasons unknown to me, I have only just come across the DCS series. After what must be a 10 year break from playing flight sims (Falcon 4 mainly), discovering DCS and particularly A10C has blown my mind.

I'm now looking for some advise on what system to buy that can run this game, and run it pretty well! I've contacted overclockers in the UK and enquired on some systems based on the games requirements and they've suggested the below setup. I was hoping some of you experienced guys out there might be able to give it the thumbs up or thumbs down...

Overclocker's Recommended System

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-317-OE&groupid=43&catid=2475&subcat=2486

System Specification

- Case: BitFenix Shinobi Midi Tower - White/Black

- Power Supply: Corsair GS 600w PSU

- CPU: Intel Core i5 3570 3.40GHz Quad Core CPU

- Motherboard: Gigabyte H61MA-D2V Intel H61 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

- Cooler: Stock Intel CPU Cooler

- RAM: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz C9 DDR3 Dual Channel Kit

- Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD

- Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB GDDR5

- Sound: Onboard 7.1 Audio

- Optical Drive: OcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter - Black

- Network: Asus USB-N10 WiFi 150Mbps Pen

I'm looking to keep it as affordable as possible as I'm only really buying this PC to play these sims, so please feel free to let me know if I can take the spec+cost down a notch or if it needs increasing. I'm hoping for the former as I know i'll have to buy some decent control devices and TrackIR system.

Suspicious Overclocker's are upselling, I had a look myself. Spotted this system for £300 less configured with a GTX660. Will this perform anywhere near the previously mentioned system? http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-345-OE&groupid=43&catid=2475&subcat=2486

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm really looking forward to getting back into it all.

Chris.

I would recommend a k series i5 and definitely a better cooler. The stock cooler with barely cool enough at stock speeds. A great price/performance cooler is the hyper evo 212. A z77 or z87 motherboard to provide overclocking. Also I prefer internal WiFi cards. I've had multiple USB WiFi adapters fail within a year.

Edited by pacotito

Pacotito

I7-5820k@4.5 Z99 extreme4 16gb ddr4

520gb ssd. Gigabyte ssc GTX960 SSC 4gb

I would go with the i5-4670k. It is just slightly more expensive, but the new generation of Intel processors (Haswell) use a new socket on the motherboard (LGA 1150) and the new Z87 chipset. The newer Haswell i5 4670k is 5-10% faster than the 3570. More importantly though, it will be much easier in the future to upgrade your CPU if you use the new Z87 Haswell chipset, and it is only a tiny bit more expensive.

Also, I would recommend the GTX 760 instead of the 660 Ti, as it is newer, basically the same price, and has a higher clock speed and simply more bandwidth (256bit on the 760, as opposed to 192bit on the 660Ti). It's a faster card for the same price.

Edited by Night

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS

I would agree with pacotito - the stock cooler is not efficient and way too loud. Thermalright True Spirit 140 is very quiet and can handle overclocking quite well, unless going to the extreme :-) Keep in mind that it is 170 mm in height and might not fit every computer case.

As to being cost effective - I have yet to see a game which needs more than 4 Gb of RAM installed, so it is quite possible to go with only 1 4Gb module and purchase another one when needed. And there is absolutely no need for any fancy brand - original Samsung or Hynix will do just fine. The difference because of timings will be negligible. It won't be much of an economy though...

Edited by Gloom Demon

AMD Ryzen 3600, Biostar Racing B850GT3, AMD Rx 580 8Gb, 16384 DDR4 2900, Hitachi 7K3000 2Tb, Samsung SM961 256Gb SSD, Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, Samsung S24F350 24'

• 10 months later...

The only thing I would recommend is going heavy on your motherboard/cpu/ram/PSU and going lighter on your video card if you had to make a trade-off.

The main reason being that video cards now account for the main part of performance in DCS, and if you buy a decent computer to begin with, the only thing you will need to upgrade in the next 5 years is the video card.

Especially getting 16GB of matched DIMMSs right away will save you from having to upgrade later.

Once your base system is together and operating flawlessly, the only thing you will need to do to change the videocard is reinstall some drivers instead of doing a full system re-install.

Other then that, you will definitely want a Thrustmaster Warthog, a decent pair of pedals such as the Slaw Device and a TrackIR.

Also, don't waste time overclocking. Just get a second job and buy better hardware. It's better than replacing burnt out components.