Frequent damage (no wheels)

-Pv-

I've noticed lately that for myself and A-10 AI, even minor damage often (if not always) results in no wheels at all when the gear is lowered (empty struts.)

The AI will land and taxi normally (I suppose that's a good thing to not permanently block a runway.)

As for myself, this results in a landing where the plane screeches to a stop almost immediately and there is no way to vacate the runway (which is understood.)

I thought it was odd that after recent automatic updates, this type of damage now seems common (if not predominant.) Is this supposed to model shells penetrating the fuselage deflating all the tires, or is this an unintended bug?

-Pv-

Yes , no wheels is a little silly if you ask me . Unless you get a direct hit on the nacelle . The gear itself is a sturdy bit of kit . We once had a Dash8Q400 take off from Frankfurt airport , lose the wheel on takeoff and it was diverted to another airfield with the brake unit which is a heavy bit of kit swinging and bouncing sparking down the runway , now a blown tyre is another matter entirely .

What airport are you landing at? There have been reports of some airfields causing landing gear damage way too often.

Kutasi (spelling? It's too early for me yet this a.m.) is one I can think of right off that has a bad rep. I don't know if it ever got fixed.

There are times when my nose wheel pops because I let the nose settle on its own. I'm not sure if thats a bug or my own carelessness. As a result though, now I never let the nose settle on its own except in the lightest of landing configurations.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

What airport are you landing at? There have been reports of some airfields causing landing gear damage way too often.

Kutasi (spelling? It's too early for me yet this a.m.) is one I can think of right off that has a bad rep. I don't know if it ever got fixed.

The absolute worst I've seen is Sochi. I can put the A-10C down gently as a baby, do everything right, and about half the time my gears get ripped off. This also happens in FC3 fighter aircraft. This does not happen at any other aerodrome (though I never use Kutaisi). It's gotten so bad that I've started using the smaller runway to land at Sochi, so that if my gears break I don't get in people's way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS

Thats funny, because I used to practice a lot at Sochi and I would do insane things to the gear and somehow nothing bad would happen.

I suspect its all in our minds.

It may be just a particular server I play at, but it rips my gear off well over 75% of the time. Not exaggerating. It's the only aerodrome I've seen with this issue.

It might be an issue caused by the recent update? Who knows. All I know is, I am doing some of the best landings I've ever made and my gear seem to get ripped off randomly.

This isn't just A-10C though, its any aircraft in DCSW. I have been flying flaming cliffs fighters for 7 years now and I can land them fantastically. It is so easy to do a gentle landing on an Su-27. But at Sochi, my gear still seem to get ripped off 75% of the time, regardless of wind or any other factors.

I will post a track the next time it happens to prove my point.

Edited by Night

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS

Are you sure you just not slaming it to hard on the ground? Cos that is what happens to me sometimes, in absolute majority of time I have no problems.

Now what botheres me is in fact the even with light damage I sometimes loose whole wheel as was mentioned above. This realy bugs me because from what I know that is one of the most durable part of the plane.

Hell sometimes I even get damaged/loose front L/G through the closed door and it has no sign of damage:music_whistling:.

Well the A-10 is a military aircraft designed for improvised and poor quality airfield operations. It can't possibly have worse gear characteristics than a 737, and should probably have somewhat better ones owing to its design and nature as a combat aircraft. I know 737 gear can survive some stiff landings, stiffer than what people here are probably correlating their odd gear failures to.

That leads me to believe that the popping nose wheel, that I experience, is likely unrealistic. Usually you're supposed to be able to let the nose wheel settle of its own accord, and I tend to come in with shallower rather than steep flares so I'm not usually particularly nose high either, and of course my main gear are fine and they're the thing that absorbs the actual touchdown, which is itself for me usually well under 500 fpm.

This problem isn't tire damage from take offs or landings. This is combat damage.

Take off = Wheels intact and retracted.

Mission combat damage of any kind, anything from CRT to fuel leaks.

Myself AND AI set up for landing and lower the gear.

Three Green. Struts are down.

There are three struts with NO TIRES ATTACHED. Not popped, torn, or deflated. No tires at all (not even shreds) just the brake disks.

I land with no tires and plane screeches to an immediate halt.

If I take no damage in a mission, all is fine and I land with no tire damage.

-Pv-

This problem isn't tire damage from take offs or landings. This is combat damage.

Take off = Wheels intact and retracted.

Mission combat damage of any kind, anything from CRT to fuel leaks.

Myself AND AI set up for landing and lower the gear.

Three Green. Struts are down.

There are three struts with NO TIRES ATTACHED. Not popped, torn, or deflated. No tires at all (not even shreds) just the brake disks.

I land with no tires and plane screeches to an immediate halt.

If I take no damage in a mission, all is fine and I land with no tire damage.

-Pv-

I'd agree with you except I am getting this problem without entering in to combat at all. And only at Sochi. I'd honestly like to believe it was something I was doing, but it's not happening at any other airbase.

Edited by Night

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Whats funny is I was just watching a show from the 90s that was on the Discovery channel about Hawgs in Gulf War 1, and one guy talked about how his A-10 took a direct hit to his right wing, it blew out both hydraulics, he had to come home on Manual Reversion, and his comment about the damage was "I could see my right wheel through the wing".

I think this tire was blown, maybe it blew on landing, but the other two were just fine. Its obviously not normal to lose 3 tires in the bays from general damage if you're still doing A Okay with hydraulics.

Yea its the first thing that will go if you take damage, I recal simmilar thread about flexible sight in huey. That is the first thing to go too if you take some minor damage.

The DM is somewhat funky. Not that is is any kind of bug priority.

I thought the code was requesting the wrong damage model at times, or the correct one it's requesting doesn't exist, but to complicate it, the damage model knows there are no tires based on the landing characteristic, so the error is real subtle- the loss of all three tires when there isn't an obvious reason for that to happen, or this is a damage model that has no practical use in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

This problem continues. I have no tires on every mission where I take damage no matter how minor. If I save a track at the moment I take damage and lower the gear, displaying no tires, when I play the track back the tires are there.

-Pv-

As for myself, this results in a landing where the plane screeches to a stop almost immediately and there is no way to vacate the runway (which is understood

There is a way to vacate the runway , go to spectators and then rejoin .

For me its completely unacceptable for people to repair on the runway . Ive never been so retarded as to do that , never !!!!

• Like 1

There is a way to vacate the runway , go to spectators and then rejoin .

For me its completely unacceptable for people to repair on the runway . Ive never been so retarded as to do that , never !!!!

If in the real world you bring a plane home in a condition like that, the runway will be closed as well until the aircraft has been secured and towed away. So call it realism.

Calling people retarded however is truly unacceptable.

aka: Baron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In the real world you don't have "join spectators" button ..... I think its unfair on other players ..... and if you can help others game play to run better , I don't see how that's a bad thing .

Realism ..... then the runway would be closed for days waiting for someone to repair the plane .

My retarded point wasn't so much a desire to repair on the runway (I don't inconvenience anyone since I don't play multiplayer) but that I used to be able to land, roll off the runway, shutdown or repair/rearm and go make more kill points. With this tires-always-gone problem which started an update or two prior to 1.2.5, I can no longer land the plane properly after taking ANY damage. I have reported this to the bug team.

I suspect a fully equipped airfield would send a crane or trailer to pick up the aircraft, but this is neither here nor there. The equivalent is to Esc out. The sim is what it is. If the bug team can discover why this is happening to me and how to fix it, it would avoid me having to abandon playing it altogether.

-Pv-

Repairing on the runway is fine for me. Just touch down further down so there is still room for others to operate. In multiplayer traffic isn't usually that high anyhow that a few minute repair is going to hurt.

And a runway would not take days to clear with an A-10 fouling it. I'm sure the military could have it cleared in an hour. Worse case a bull dozer could just shove it off if needed.

Edited by Hamblue

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Repairing on the runway is fine for me. Just touch down further down so there is still room for others to operate. In multiplayer traffic isn't usually that high anyhow that a few minute repair is going to hurt.

And a runway would not take days to clear with an A-10 fouling it. I'm sure the military could have it cleared in an hour. Worse case a bull dozer could just shove it off if needed.

Heck I've seen that done with general aviation aircraft. At a smaller regional airport near me a twin engine aircraft had a landing gear failure and it screeched to a stop. Nobody was hurt but the aircraft of course could not taxi. The aircraft was literally drug by cable off of the runway into the grass so traffic could continue until the appropriate equipment (crane and flatbed truck) could come in to move the plane to wherever it would need to go!

At Lambert in St.Louis a few years ago the airport was choked full of airplanes with nowhere to go in a grid-lock on the taxiway with an emergency coming in to land. Aircraft were told to just roll off onto the grass to get away from the runway!

They can get creative if they need to be!

Maybe a solution would be to use the rudders (at enough speed to allow them to still have effect, but slow enough not to cause damage), land near one side of the runway instead of the middle, and 'veer off' at the last moment to leave as much runway room as possible (potentially coming to rest in the grass or on a taxiway). Allowing the repair to be made without clogging the runway?

Edited by Romans5.8