Engine Start/Stop TM Warthog

Tetra

Hi guys, finally decided to pick up the TM Warthog after a ton of deliberation and with any luck it might be arriving in the morning. Wanted to quickly ask about engine startup with it.

This might seem like a bit of a stupid question but...I am aware the throttle has the off/idle detent and that the throttles can be separated. Just wanted to know what other users do in terms of startup procedure with the TM hotas, do you split the throttle and then perform engine startup (lifting left from off to idle, wait for spool up then repeat with right) then re-join the two throttles once engine startup is completed? And on the reverse split them again for shutdown, or does anybody leave them separated all the time?

Am coming from the X52 with just a single throttle and using the switches on the joystick base for L & R engine start/stop so the "proper" procedure with the TM hotas is foreign to me.

Big thanks for any help or pointers.

I keep mine separated at all times,I hear the real Warthog doesnt have the locking pin.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

I leave them separated unless I'm flying BMS FAlcon which is a single engine sim when using the F-16.

Just wanted to know what other users do in terms of startup procedure with the TM hotas, do you split the throttle and then perform engine startup (lifting left from off to idle, wait for spool up then repeat with right) then re-join the two throttles once engine startup is completed? And on the reverse split them again for shutdown, or does anybody leave them separated all the time?

It will work either way, separated or locked together. I haven't timed it but it seemed like the left engine took longer to spool with the throttles connected to me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Sabertooth Z97, 4790K @ 4.4Ghz, Corsair H110 CPU Cooler, EVGA 750XR power supply, 2XEVGA 780GTX 6GB, 16GB GSkill DDR3, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD(OS), WD 1 TB SATA (Storage), WD 3 TB SATA (Storage),Win 10 x64, ASUS 27" LED, Planar 24" Touch Screen (Helios Glass Cockpit), TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, Track IR 5

It will work either way, separated or locked together. I haven't timed it but it seemed like the left engine took longer to spool with the throttles connected to me.

I believe this would be because the APU can't produce enough bleed air to start two engines at once.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

I believe this would be because the APU can't produce enough bleed air to start two engines at once.

Correct. APU bleed air only supplies enough air for a single engine start. You can use bleed air from the running engine to do a cross-bleed start on the other engine, but that would be highly uncommon.

Many thanks for the input guys, I guess my main worry was that starting the engines with the throttles linked would simply cause one engine to fail, for the reason P*Funk & MTFDarkEagle, have always waited for the left engine to spool up fully first before starting the right, so didn't know starting them together would simply mean one would take longer.

Anyway thanks again for the input everybody, will try them unlinked and see how it goes. Sadly the TM is sitting at a FedEx depot 20 miles from my house with no sign of moving today, so I guess Monday it is.

Anyway thanks again for the input everybody, will try them unlinked and see how it goes. Sadly the TM is sitting at a FedEx depot 20 miles from my house with no sign of moving today, so I guess Monday it is.

I also only operate the throttles unlinked in A-10C, and agree that at first it seemed a little awkward, but I quickly became acclimated to it with no problem.

Re: Warthog 20 miles away - if they would allow it, I would certainly be very tempted to just drive over there and pick it up ! :)

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I also only operate the throttles unlinked in A-10C, and agree that at first it seemed a little awkward, but I quickly became acclimated to it with no problem.

Re: Warthog 20 miles away - if they would allow it, I would certainly be very tempted to just drive over there and pick it up ! :)

Do you ever find you are not getting identical input from L & R when using them unlinked? This is also another slight concern I had, although obviously it's how it's done in the real thing so I guess it shouldn't be an issue.

As for picking it up I was seriously debating it lol but after shelling out for the TM I don't fancy coughing up another tenner for the fuel money for a 40 mile round trip to pick it up :p

Do you ever find you are not getting identical input from L & R when using them unlinked? This is also another slight concern I had, although obviously it's how it's done in the real thing so I guess it shouldn't be an issue.

Not a problem if you get used to it. And I myself find it useful on many occasions. For example when taxiing to make fine ajustments I rather use throtles than rudders, or when taxiing in the windy condition I set diferential thrust to keep me on line depending on wind direction/speed. I use it lot in long coordinated turns and in AAR when tanker is in turn.

I use rudders usualy if I want to realy push the aircraft in the yaw axis.