Problem with Hover

tacannav

In DCS BS2 with hover engaged after working normal and holding steady for about 1-2 min's, then helo seems to kinda drift side to side then drift into a spin, I know this problem is not the alt hold because I isolated and found the alt hold to work normal and found the hover to be the problem, I tried changing the number key and this did not help, anyone familiar with this problem?

I just tested on my rig. Put the shark in an auto hover over the ramp. Held it for 10+ minutes. It was solid as a rock.

Too many variables to guess at what your issue is. Is it in the software, winds, controller setup, etc.?

Is it hardware controller/USB spike?

You must narrow it down.

trim your airframe into a hover first....then engage the hover system...

..you can even turn it on real quick..see how it wants to hold the helo...turn it off...trim to match that attitude....re engage hover hold.....

....remember...its not a auto hover....its a hover hold...you need to be kinda close to a hover first, then it willl do the fine tuning to hold that position

...the spin problem is obviously the rudder....the best thing here is to turn off the heading hold...trim the rudder so you dont spin...re engage the heading hold....no more spin....

....the AP can only fight 20% to hold any trim or hover position...if you are 21% out of trim, it cannot hold the correct heading or position.....turn off that AP channel (mainly heading and alt...always leave pitch and bank on) or hover mode...see which way the helo wants to go....trim so your closer to what you want....turn back on the AP channel or hover hold....now you've just put the helo in the right attitude so the AP system isnt fighting as hard to give you the desired results....

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

Bad habbit to turn off the AP channels then trim and then reengage them !

When you trim, you also "recenter" that 20% "control window" of the corresponding channels.

AP only makes use of its 20% authority, as long as your controls are centered to where you trimmed them last.

Outside of that it only provides damping.

If you find the AP fighting the controls, correct accordingly and retrim, all is fine.

You don't shift the 20% "control window" with your controls, it stays put where you last trimmed.

So if your controls are 1% off of the correct hover, correct with controls, retrim and the 20% control window will be recentered to the correct position.

Only AP channel you should be allowed to disengage in flight would be the alt hold.

On that note, you are even supposed to trim the helicopter during taxi, so from the moment you leave the parking position, until you shut down the engines again, pitch roll and heading are supposed to stay on.

Greetings

MadCat

its not a bad habit to turn off the heading hold and alt hold to make sure that your rudder/collective are in the correct position....I agree you should not turn off the pitch and bank which is the cyclic trim...but the rudder trim can be the OP problem it he is not trimmed properly before turning the heading hold on...get the rudder and the collective correctly set then turn on the heading and alt hold...

...I fly around all day without the heading hold or alt hold and never have problems controlling my slip or alt...this is because the rudder is still under control of the trim system even without the heading hold on, and having the collective set correctly so that you don't gain or lose altitude doesn't require the alt hold if you have a collective axis and aren't using the keyboard commands to set it..

..then when I wish to not "fly the airframe" so that I can use the weapons or look at the map....i turn on the Heading hold (and the turn to target if needed)...and I turn on the alt hold and correctly use the collective brake and never have problems....

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

Flight manual page 338:

It is recommended that the helicopter always be flown with the autopilot (AP) modes

engaged; this provides much greater stability in all flight regimes. Nevertheless, flights

can be performed without AP in case of system failure or training purposes. The Ka-50 is

still quite controllable without AP assists.

I'll give you that it is possible to fly without, yet not recommended.

Hence making that a bad habit or name it however you want to.

Why encourage things that are not recommended by the engineers and test pilots who worked to compile the flight manual.

It isn't in there for no reason.

Greetings

MadCat