P-51D Control Problems

Gman

I have been flying the P-51D for about 3 weeks now. Most of my activity has been in missions although several hours in the training flights. I have noticed that when flying in the training flights and some of the missions, the ac handles just as I think that it should. I am able to do reverses and inverted flight without any problems. However in other flights, when I try to do any hard turns, the plane goes crazy. So, I ran several tests today to confirm my issues. The loadouts were the same, the fuel was the same, airspeeds and altitudes were the same. But again, in some flights, I had major issues with control and in other flights, no problem. Can anyone give me some hints as to what is going on? I am just short of uninstalling this mod. :mad:

Thanks in advance.

Gman

In DCS, missions can over-ride your difficulty settings; it's up to the mission maker to specify whether the mission uses your settings or the mission settings, and, if he chooses the latter, it's up to him to determine what the settings are. My guess is that the missions you're having an easy time with either have difficulty aids forced on, or else they are set to use your own settings (in which case I'm guessing you have aids on in your own settings). The missions you're having a hard time with, then, would have the aids forced off.

Couple of other possibilities as well:

- You say the fuel was the same in each mission but if it was a training mission and not one you built yourself does the briefing actually say that and which tanks are involved or are you actually checking the fuel gauges yourself each mission? Reason why I mention it is if the centre tank is more than (I think from memory) 25% full the C of G of the aircraft is affected and the more fuel in that tank the bigger the effect on centre of gravity which directly affects handling making it harder to control. Particularly if trying to turn hard

- Other thought is you say "hard turns" are giving you trouble and you don't say what your indicated airspeed and height are at the time - if you are too slow then it is easier to stall and that speed changes with height I believe. Perhaps try the first stage of flaps when you turn hard? This is equivalent to combat flaps.

- Third thought is that you haven't really tried to turn hard until now and that you don't have your joystick curves set right - basically your short throw joystick allows you to input a control position which is the equivalent to a huge movement in the real thing very easily. By changing your control curves in your axis setup you can make it respond a little better. There are posts around on this if you do a search but there is a degree of personal choice in it so take the posts as a start point and tweak to suit.