Aircrafts AI on/off, impossible?

horus0129

Hi

Is there no way to turn on/off AI for aircrafts?

I just want the aircrafts to start their engines via specific trigger.

Adjusting start time or late activation is no joy because they can't be seen before the time or the trigger activated. They must be seen when the mission starts.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Is there no way to turn on/off AI for aircrafts?

I just want the aircrafts to start their engines via specific trigger.

Adjusting start time or late activation is no joy because they can't be seen before the time or the trigger activated. They must be seen when the mission starts.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

You can use late activation and choose the check box that says visible before start, I believe. Then the trigger with Group Activate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

You can use late activation and choose the check box that says visible before start, I believe. Then the trigger with Group Activate.

Thanks for the reply but where can I find that option?

(My DCS world version is up to date)

Aircraft have a little bit of a different setting than ground vehicles.

Make sure the start time is whatever the mission start time is, and make sure "late activation" is NOT checked.

Now check the "uncontrolled" check box.

Go to the triggered actions tab under the group, its the 2nd from the left.

When in the triggered actions tab add the task "start" which is under the task type "command".

Now go to the trigger menu and add in a trigger to perform the "start" task for the group. So if you want it to start up 15 minutes in simply do:

Once> Time more than 900 seconds> AI Task Set(GroupName Whatever> Start)

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

So I'm guessing these a/c will run their engines until all fuel is gone...

WC

PS -- Too bad *any* Ground Commander cannot fly these uncontrolled a/c. Why is that?

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

So I'm guessing these a/c will run their engines until all fuel is gone...

PS -- Too bad *any* Ground Commander cannot fly these uncontrolled a/c. Why is that?

The group is activated within the mission but hasn't been given the command the start. If you place an AI aircraft like this you will notice that it uses up fuel and ammunition resources to spawn, but the pilot isn't in the pit and engines aren't started. Once given the triggered action "start" the pilot spawns in and it starts up to taxi.

My best guess why CA roles can't control the group is because the group hasn't started yet.

Make sure the start time is whatever the mission start time is, and make sure "late activation" is NOT checked.

When in the triggered actions tab add the task "start" which is under the task type "command".

Now go to the trigger menu and add in a trigger to perform the "start" task for the group. So if you want it to start up 15 minutes in simply do:

Wow thanks a lot Grimes, that's exactly what I want!

The group is activated within the mission but hasn't been given the command the start. If you place an AI aircraft like this you will notice that it uses up fuel and ammunition resources to spawn, but the pilot isn't in the pit and engines aren't started. Once given the triggered action "start" the pilot spawns in and it starts up to taxi.

My best guess why CA roles can't control the group is because the group hasn't started yet.

I was thinking that the uncontrolled aircraft did not have a flight path, so it would (?) just sit there with the engines running until all the fuel was gone.

---

Grimes, I find your reply re the CA roles quite surprising!

Do you know that in a multiplayer mission, only the Host as a Ground Commander can control Uncontrolled AI aircraft? No other Ground Commanders in a multiplayer mission can control AI a/c. This is a big issue for me, as I have a 5-mission campaign that was designed for any Ground Commander to control AI a/c. When I designed the missions and tested in single player mode, there was no problem for me to send the AI a/c off on whatever path I wanted to. But in multiplayer, when trying to set a path - nothing happens with the a/c. The controls are there to set speed, altitude and path markers, but as soon as the GC clicks on the map to set the first marker, the control panel disappears and the AI a/c remains on the tarmac.

I keep waiting for a DCS weekly update to mention progress on fixing this, and I occasionally make a response in those threads (on SimHQ as well). Your response above makes me wonder if you think that feature is working - that any GC can control AI a/c?

I just tested this to make sure that it still does not work. The Hollo Pointe server is currently running the Kobuleti Maru mission, where a Red GC should be able to control a/c from out of Soganlug. But it does not work.

The CA product page alludes to being able to control a/c.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/combined_arms/

Could you ask to see if/when this feature will be fixed/enhanced?

Sorry to hijack your thread horus... I'm glad you found your answer.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Uncontrolled has nothing to do with flight plans or Combined Arms. It is simply the aircraft version of "visible before start" when the aircraft has a starting waypoint on the ramp of an airbase. The aircraft is visible, it can be destroyed, and the "spawn" order for it is "Command>Start". There are a few main benefits of spawning AI in uncontrolled on the tarmac.

1. The aircraft spawn location is physically occupied, thus not available for other AI to spawn at or taxi to. Adding a static object of the aircraft for the same sort of idea does not occupy a spawn location.

2. Resources are used. Enemies can destroy aircraft.

3. It is more realistic than an aircraft appearing out of thin air.

The group has to be given the command to start before you can control it as a ground commander. The same is true if you have a ground group set to "visible before start" with a late activation.

The group has to be given the command to start before you can control it as a ground commander. The same is true if you have a ground group set to "visible before start" with a late activation.

Nope nope doesn't work.

Man I was excited to test this. Kobuleti Maru mission -

From the Mission Editor I can Fly the mission and the Uncontrolled AI aircraft at Soganlug can be controlled by a Ground Commander and Set Path with an altitude value will result in the a/c *starting*, taxiing and taking off.

I cannot do any Set Path activities from a multiplayer Ground Commander. I did add a Triggered Action of Start to a/c group 02 and set it to trigger at 10 seconds in. By the time I got Joined to the mission that two-ship group was taking off. When I tried to do some Set Path stuff I got what I've always - when I click on the map to place a path marker the control window disappears and no path is set.

I do not want these a/c to take off on their own. I want them on the tarmac, cold and ready for the Ground Commanders:

1. Any coalition's multiplayer Ground Commander should be able to control the coalition's AI aircraft.

2. An (uncontrolled?) AI aircraft group placed at an airbase without being 'started' (cold start) can be controlled by Ground Commanders, where a Set Path with altitude will result in the a/c to start engines, taxi and takeoff.

Tell me I have something set wrong -- I can't wait to see this work. :-)

Wrecking Crew

As a client its a well known bug... http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=108339

I don't really have any other information regarding that specific bug.

• 1 month later...

This doesn't work for me. The airplane just takes off instead of staying at the tarmac. Is there a way to do this by script?

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Doublecheck you have the 'Uncontrolled' checkbox set

Thanks! I did double check but I guess I need to go back and triple check :smartass: A working example would be awesome though!

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

So I went back and triple checked and it turned out that for this to work you need to not assign any waypoints to the group that is to be "Uncontrolled". Thanks!

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

Uncontrolled Check Box?

Where is this uncontrolled check box I keep hearing about?

I want to have a flight group pre-start but then only taxi to the runway after a certain trigger.

The idea is to have planes there the whole time as opposed to having them appear out of nowhere. It would also be interesting to have a client group activate after the same conditions are met to create a ground alert intercept scenario. There seems to be no way to de-activate A.I. flight groups - only ground forces. Also I looked at using static objects to resemble these aircraft and then activate a group when the conditions are met except there is no way to remove static objects with the use of triggers it seems.

Any help would be fantastic.. :helpsmilie:

Thanks.

Su-27 Flanker 1995 Super EF2000 1997 Jane's F/A-18 1999

First of all: to have the checkbox appear, choose "start from ramp". From my limited testing it seems that you can't assign waypoints to the group when doing this unless using scripts, but someone else might want to chime in on this.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

Where is this uncontrolled check box I keep hearing about?

I want to have a flight group pre-start but then only taxi to the runway after a certain trigger.

The idea is to have planes there the whole time as opposed to having them appear out of nowhere. It would also be interesting to have a client group activate after the same conditions are met to create a ground alert intercept scenario. There seems to be no way to de-activate A.I. flight groups - only ground forces. Also I looked at using static objects to resemble these aircraft and then activate a group when the conditions are met except there is no way to remove static objects with the use of triggers it seems.

Any help would be fantastic.. :helpsmilie:

Thanks.

Step 1: Set the AI group to start from ramp of the airbase you want, and check the "uncontrolled" checkbox.

Step 2: Go into the "triggered actions" tab for the AI group (icon looks like this rotated by 45 degrees: http://www.applegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/command.png). Click Add, and then select "Command" as the type and then "Start" as the action.

Step 3: Go into the triggers and add a trigger: Once>Time More 60>Push AI task(Groups Name/Start)

This will make it so the AI group will be spawned in at the start of the mission, but only startup their engines and take-off 60 seconds into the mission. You can go back and change it so the group activates when a flag is set to true by changing the condition to whatever you want.

First of all: to have the checkbox appear, choose "start from ramp". From my limited testing it seems that you can't assign waypoints to the group when doing this unless using scripts, but someone else might want to chime in on this.

You can give it waypoints, just like any other AI or player flight.

• 4 months later...